trialists mk2

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
If we learned nothing else last season, we established that going back is not the way to go forwards. Harding may be a decent player but not sure we should get him back at the club.

With a whole regime, yes, but I don't see why an individual player can't come back and fit into the system - I don't think Virgo was a disaster last year. Having said that, I thought Harding was always overrated as f***, and that we completely and utterly mugged Leeds with the compensation for him.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Is it actually possible to get three WORSE trialists than these? Excluding Wayne Henderson that is.

Now we've got money and a new chairman we seem to be going after much shitter players than we ever did before. My prediction of a BOTTOM-HALF finish next season is looking good.

You really are the most negative person ever. You were on about how great Russell Slade was at the end of last season (which I agree with by the way) so why not trust his judgement on trialists and new signings. If Slade thinks they might offer us something then we might sign them for longer, if not they will go.

I can't understand your continual attacks on players who have just signed for us/haven't even signed for us. Why not wait and see before judging.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Rickets - think not
Harding - as cover for mid and lb yes, as first choice, no
Spiller - hmmm. once was considered quite good... maybe as back up

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Is it actually possible to get three WORSE trialists than these? Excluding Wayne Henderson that is.

Now we've got money and a new chairman we seem to be going after much shitter players than we ever did before. My prediction of a BOTTOM-HALF finish next season is looking good.

You really are a bitter and twisted little man aren't you? Why not stop winging 'till the season starts.

Let Slade do his job.

Harding is a much better reserve left back than Mayo - who we had last season under Thicky and Tight!

Let us see what Slade thinks of the other two, and how they get on, before we judge him shall we?

HG201

Proud Ruffian
Jul 16, 2008
Birmingham
I cetainly do not want Dan harding back, i have never rated him and simply don't like the man.
I don't think we should sign players released by about 5 other clubs within about two years, was on trial at Yeovil, so they obviously don't want him either.
This would definately be taking a step in the wrong direction.

As for the others, Ricketts id morbidly obese so no thanks and never heard of the defender but guessing he could be Lynch's replacement

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Russell is brilliant. That's not up for debate, and we'd have to do VERY badly for me to change my mind.

This is a board for an exchange of opinions though, and my honest one is that I'm just not impressed with what we're bringing into the club this summer. I thought Russell made some brilliant decisions with who he released, but to me we're not replacing them with vastly superior players. These three are just a joke. Harding is HATED by the albion fans - what's the point in bringing him back? He'd have to play amazingly every week just to get a muted reception, but my fear there would be that as soon as he has a couple of dodgy games (and it won't be long until that happens) he becomes the scapegoat. Ricketts has been shit every time we've seen him for several years now. He's been mocked on this site more than almost any other opposition player, yet now we're looking at him we're supposed to find the positives. And the Millwall reject I know nothing about, so I won't be too damning, but let's face it if Millwall don't want him why should we?

Because they're on TRIAL. It doesn't really cost much to take a look at them, and who knows?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Russell is brilliant. That's not up for debate, and we'd have to do VERY badly for me to change my mind.

This is a board for an exchange of opinions though, and my honest one is that I'm just not impressed with what we're bringing into the club this summer. I thought Russell made some brilliant decisions with who he released, but to me we're not replacing them with vastly superior players. These three are just a joke. Harding is HATED by the albion fans - what's the point in bringing him back? He'd have to play amazingly every week just to get a muted reception, but my fear there would be that as soon as he has a couple of dodgy games (and it won't be long until that happens) he becomes the scapegoat. Ricketts has been shit every time we've seen him for several years now. He's been mocked on this site more than almost any other opposition player, yet now we're looking at him we're supposed to find the positives. And the Millwall reject I know nothing about, so I won't be too damning, but let's face it if Millwall don't want him why should we?

But surely part of thinking Russell Slade is brilliant is trusting his judgement on new players or at least not moaning about them before the season starts. The majority on here seem quite impressed with our signings so far this summer but maybe you have some inside track. If they turn out to be crap, great you are proved right but why not at least give them a chance. The constant moaning just gets boring.

I think Harding would be good enough although I agree the fans reaction may be a problem. Spiller apparently did well at Millwall initially and then got injured so now he is fit he is worth a look (remember Millwall signed one of our "rejects", John Sullivan). Finally, I still think Ricketts provides a different option and he did score 9 times for Walsall last season so at least worth a look. I don't understand what there is to moan about. It is not as if we are giving them five year contracts.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Assuming Harding does ok, I'd say offer him a 1 year contract. As we will need an LB for at least the first 6 weeks of the season then why not? Given we have Jimmy Mac already, I doubt we could do that much better.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Didnt like harding when he was with us before...and have boo'd and played the pantomine games when ever he's been against us, but since he's left Imho he's improved and to be honest he's a good utility player for left back or midfield.

Saw Harding on sky at the back end of last season for reading, cant remember who it was against, but he looked one of the best players on the pitch....stronger and driving forward with good defence splitting passing.

I'd snap him up......Im not fussed about whats been and gone...brighton lad..made a mistake by leaving but id have done the same in his position.

Welcome home dan

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
So Harding who was good enough to play a few games for Reading last season is now not considered good enough to join us on trial? It might not come to anything but if he does sign up he deserves support, what happened happened we have moved on and his career has not gone as he would have hoped.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Ricketts? Since the 2002-03 season - when he was 23/24 - his record is 163 apps, 27 goals, so 1 in 6. Now he's 30, so forget it.

I see Walsall didn't sign him, and they were his first club, so if it's not happening in familiar surroundings what chance he'll rediscover his boyhood form again at Withdean?

Harding - Hmmm. Ability fine but there's baggage that we can do without.

Spiller doesn't get my pulse racing either.

I don't agree with TCB that these players are no better than what we have looked at previously. As others have said Harding was playing for Reading at the end of last season (although I conceed that the fan reaction may make it difficult), Ricketts could be good at a level way above ours if he can get his head right and Spiller sounds like a good player who has had bad luck with injury.

Out of interest can anyone remember the players we had on trial last season, for the purposes of comparison?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Id happily take Harding back as cover for the left side of our team.

Harding to Cox to Dicker to Dickinson mmmmmm interesting

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports