Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Would you live IN a Railway Station?

Jul 7, 2003
We seriously considered buying it 12 or so years ago, I got in there and spoke to the son, could have bought it for £300-325k I took loads of photo's, measured up, even drew some basic plans. . . . . we decided against it. . .primarily as it's not the best location. . . . The garage was little more than a facade and a tin shed behind. They did a nice job restoring it.

Seem to remember that they found at least one vintage car stored there when they started the clearance.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I strongly suspect that any refurbishment would include the installation of double or triple glazed windows!

As for pollution, air quality etc., no worse than any other city centre dwelling on a busy street.

No- they’re not proposing to replace the windows and it’s a listed building so not sure they would even get permission for triple / double glazed.

Living in a train platform with a tannoy and a level crossing I would think will be significantly worse than a normal street in terms of noise disturbance!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If someone were to ask me the question "Would you like to live in Portslade railway station?" I'd be answering no after only 7 of the 9 words.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No- they’re not proposing to replace the windows and it’s a listed building so not sure they would even get permission for triple / double glazed.

Living in a train platform with a tannoy and a level crossing I would think will be significantly worse than a normal street in terms of noise disturbance!

I can vouch for the fact that living on a railway station you very quickly get completely immune to the noise. I haven't seen any details of the plans of course, but if it's approved for conversion to residential I expect there would be a way round the windows for insulation purposes (as I believe is now compulsory in new housing) - if they keep the visual profile. I'm pretty sure there are precedents.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
If someone were to ask me the question "Would you like to live in Portslade railway station?" I'd be answering no after only 7 of the 9 words.

Given that the station is in Hove, I have assumed you would have no issues against living in the station.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I can vouch for the fact that living on a railway station you very quickly get completely immune to the noise. I haven't seen any details of the plans of course, but if it's approved for conversion to residential I expect there would be a way round the windows for insulation purposes (as I believe is now compulsory in new housing) - if they keep the visual profile. I'm pretty sure there are precedents.

I'd rather live in that Station building than an HMO on Trafalgar Rd with all those heavy goods lorries to and from the Basin.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
We seriously considered buying it 12 or so years ago, I got in there and spoke to the son, could have bought it for £300-325k I took loads of photo's, measured up, even drew some basic plans. . . . . we decided against it. . .primarily as it's not the best location. . . . The garage was little more than a facade and a tin shed behind. They did a nice job restoring it.

Looking at the photos I can see the quality of work is very good.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Yes. But a nice Victorian station master's cottage on a decommissioned line or where a steam train chugs through a few times a day.

Something like this would suit

https://www.railwaystationcottages.co.uk/dent-station/

But Portslade station? Hell no.

Main-House-pic.jpg

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011
I don't know about living in a railway station, but I could quite happily live in a railway carriage.
Wasn't Shoreham Beach filled with them at one time? I'm pretty sure there are some still there now, too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The facia and pumps are listed but behind was just a mahoosive corrugated iron outbuilding/workshop

That had been left abandoned, near derelict and completely overgrown while last owner lived out her (?) final years.
Then the estate and probate took even longer.

However many years later the doors were finally prised open.

Inside was a treasure trove of old Jags, Rolls etc.
All the tools and paraphernalia.

As well as a fudging great big traction engine!

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011
The facia and pumps are listed but behind was just a mahoosive corrugated iron outbuilding/workshop

That had been left abandoned, near derelict and completely overgrown while last owner lived out her (?) final years.
Then the estate and probate took even longer.

However many years later the doors were finally prised open.

Inside was a treasure trove of old Jags, Rolls etc.
All the tools and paraphernalia.

As well as a fudging great big traction engine!
The traction engine was outside, and gradually got grown over.

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011
Going off at a completely different angle, is it right that some bloody tank museum has nicked the tank from the downs near Storrington?

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Has Swansman been informed? :whistle:

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I’m all for thinking outside the box but this is ridiculous. Saying that I remember seeing some large metal crates that had been refurbished inside which were used for housing the homeless for a while , think it was in Brooklyn. Long time ago .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here