Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Would you live IN a Railway Station?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A pedant writes ...

The line actually closed in 1966. 7th March to be precise.

But yes, that is interesting. Did they have to move out when the station was demolished? (There's a housing estate called 'The Beechings' now on the site).

Yes, they moved into a council flat in Fabians Way in Henfield. Both now deceased.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If I can't park right outside the front door, it's a no from me.

There must be parking? Where do the bus replacements stop when they are in use seemingly every other weekend?

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
I’d live here. Not a railway station, but probably just as noisy!

FB988D7F-953F-45D8-8553-11E9B100248A.jpeg

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
The ground floor rooms either have no windows or the windows are frosted so zero outlook. Noise - eg talking - audible from the platform with only a pane of glass in between.

All the rooms would suffer noise from people on the platform, the trains, the tannoy announcements and the siren on the level crossing.

Air quality probably pretty bad due to trains, brake dust and exhaust fumes from vehicles waiting at the level crossing.

Doesn’t looks suitable for residential accommodation to me!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
plenty of flats and houses live alongside railway lines in London and other cities. this is typical objections for the sake of it. eg complaining about shared kitchens. like every uni halls in hundreds of towns and cities. its almost as if the people complaining have nothing else to do and no need for accomodation. ideal for young people in modern city but those complaining wont think of that.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The ground floor rooms either have no windows or the windows are frosted so zero outlook. Noise - eg talking - audible from the platform with only a pane of glass in between.

All the rooms would suffer noise from people on the platform, the trains, the tannoy announcements and the siren on the level crossing.

I strongly suspect that any refurbishment would include the installation of double or triple glazed windows!

As for pollution, air quality etc., no worse than any other city centre dwelling on a busy street.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

We seriously considered buying it 12 or so years ago, I got in there and spoke to the son, could have bought it for £300-325k I took loads of photo's, measured up, even drew some basic plans. . . . . we decided against it. . .primarily as it's not the best location. . . . The garage was little more than a facade and a tin shed behind. They did a nice job restoring it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This man would

Fu4chISB_400x400.jpg

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
plenty of flats and houses live alongside railway lines in London and other cities. this is typical objections for the sake of it. eg complaining about shared kitchens. like every uni halls in hundreds of towns and cities. its almost as if the people complaining have nothing else to do and no need for accomodation. ideal for young people in modern city but those complaining wont think of that.

Funnily enough, part of the application was historically a residential dwelling for the station master.

I did actually rent part of an office there for a while. I have to say during the day at least I always found it quite peaceful even at rush hours. Most trains stop at Portslade as well, so you don't get many noisy pass throughs.

Intended as HMOs I think, might be ideal for some young people who might commute to work each day. As you say, some residential on railways is right up against tracks where trains fly past rather than a stopping station situation.

It's been vacant for years now and under used. In a time of housing crisis, seems like a good re-use of an existing building.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Depends whether you call 4.5 miles of narrow exposed road 'near'!

It's bonkers. I got off and looked to go for a pint before catching the next train but after walking a couple of miles, I realise that I wasn't going to make it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here