Why has the Arch been taken down!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I think the Gippos sneaked in after dark and took it for scrap on the back of a clapped out Cortina.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
When you say hanging was it just hanging, or was it in position like it was yesterday but still attached to the strapping?

May be they need to keep it strapped for a little while so pressure is evenly applied all over instead of just plonking it down and taking the crane away.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Im glad it's not just me. I drove home yesterday after the game from the P+R, and it was DOWN and back on the pitch again.

We DEMAND an explanation..

BOO!!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I've just looked back through Jack Straw's magnificent pictures from yesterday and also at the webcam. I would say that it hasn't been left hanging in the air (seemed unlikely didn't it). Look at his last picture from the webcam yesterday, and you see how far the temp support is from the other white "arch" on top of the East stand. I guess that viewed from the road (support obscured), and given the odd angle the stadium is set at, it could easily look like the first section is in mid air and supported by the crane.

The Right Honorable JS said the middle section of the arch was going up today with the final piece going up on Sunday. Excited at this, I thought I'd check the 'ol webcam but it appears to be stuck on last nights last frame. Does this mean that the cam is only on Mon-Fri?

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
Don't worry... because the arch is curved both vertically and in plan, it is an extremely complex geometrical shape. Watsons have allowed for this, by making some of the flanges oversized, to allow for modifications - but this means that final adjustments cannot be made until it has been put into place.

However it is much easier to make these adjustments on the ground, and for this reason it is likely that you will see each of the sections of the arch being lifted into position and then taken down again over the next few weeks.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Flanges

titter.gif

So in other words, a company has been hired that KNOWS it probably WON'T be able to get it right first time? Are they cowboy builders or what?

:jester:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The Right Honorable JS said the middle section of the arch was going up today with the final piece going up on Sunday. Excited at this, I thought I'd check the 'ol webcam but it appears to be stuck on last nights last frame. Does this mean that the cam is only on Mon-Fri?

It does indeed, it doesn't do weekends.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Don't worry... because the arch is curved both vertically and in plan, it is an extremely complex geometrical shape. Watsons have allowed for this, by making some of the flanges oversized, to allow for modifications - but this means that final adjustments cannot be made until it has been put into place.

Is this some kind of sick joke or what everyone knows FLANGE died the other week

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports