Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tunnicliffe - I Love This Club

onthebeach

Jul 15, 2009
Good on him, but i take it when slade was in charge they were allowed to go boozing etc then. :wink:

they wernt allowed to booze etc with slade they just did as he had no discipline with them. apparently gus has told them they can do just that as long as they work hard in training and dont basically take the piss... pardon the pun.. seems like he is gonna get on fine with the lads if thats his way.:clap2:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
To gain a competitive edge top level football is constantly trying new ideas, seems to me we've had dinosaurs in charge who have simply been left behind.

They had a bit about Rochdale at the weekend on the champioship about how there club is on par with some premiership clubs when it comes too sports science and training, I really doubt the albion are anywhere near that level.

Also having pre match meal together is a pretty basic thing to build team spirit.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Absolutely chaps. Let's be honest, footballers in general aren't that intelligent. They get bored easily, especially with the same archaic routine every day. And you've only got to look at our pre-match warm-ups (which haven't changed since about 1999) to realise how past-it White and Booker were.

Now we've actually got a couple of young, interesting and intelligent characters in with something very different, and I suspect a lot more technical, to offer and everyone's happy. Coincidence?

Do you think playing in the top flight makes a difference as well? I think it may do as they are more aware of up to date routines and working with better managers/coaches. I mean who has Dean White worked with?

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Do you think playing in the top flight makes a difference as well? I think it may do as they are more aware of up to date routines and working with better managers/coaches. I mean who has Dean White worked with?

Of course - at the top level players and coaches have access to the best resources. They also have the time and money to try innovative new practices which to lower league clubs will be a waste of money unless they offer a proven benefit. Until Wenger came in how many clubs even treated nutrition seriously? It was a case of keep of the booze and pies but not much else.

While un-employed Gus had the good sense to keep tabs on training sessions at the likes of Chelsea and West Ham so I expect he has a clear idea of what needs to be happening.

Hopefully the club realise we should at least be keeping pace with the others if we are serious about the championship in 18 months.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Absolutely. Think of the training techniques and exercises he must have experienced at Chelsea and Spurs. How many decent managers did he play under at those clubs? Must be at least 5 or 6. He'd have been learning from all of those, plus Ramos (who, despite not doing well at Spurs, has serious credentials in La Liga). I would be seriously surprised if there is a better coach in league one than Gus Poyet. If he fails, and I don't think there is any chance he will, it'll be tactically and not on the coaching side.

As you say, compare that to the CV of White and Booker. Where exactly have they learnt their trade? Which renowned coaches have they picked up tips from?

Getting rid of those jokers and replacing them with Gus and Mauricio is like the difference between night and day.

i would be interested to see if Gus runs the team like a manager or a coach

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
i would be interested to see if Gus runs the team like a manager or a coach

Well thats the only real risk with Gus isn't it? Great coach credentials but how is he as a man manager? He seems to realise he needs an assistant to compliment him, hence the insistence on Tarrico's appointment. At the moment he's commanding the respect of the players and I doubt it's purely because of his reputation as a player. Wouldn't want to be the first one to cross him.

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
they wernt allowed to booze etc with slade they just did as he had no discipline with them. apparently gus has told them they can do just that as long as they work hard in training and dont basically take the piss... pardon the pun.. seems like he is gonna get on fine with the lads if thats his way.:clap2:

And how do you know this ? Where have you got this nonsense from. Names please!

This is total INDISCIPLINE.... and i dont believe for a moment that Gus would allow this. Again...names please

onthebeach

Jul 15, 2009
And how do you know this ? Where have you got this nonsense from. Names please!

This is total INDISCIPLINE.... and i dont believe for a moment that Gus would allow this. Again...names please

time will show this is true but im sure you will see the players out on the town but being quite respectful when they are and taking it a lot easier rather than getting totally pissed ... i do not intend to mention names but my sources are very reliable.:thumbsup:

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
time will show this is true but im sure you will see the players out on the town but being quite respectful when they are and taking it a lot easier rather than getting totally pissed ... i do not intend to mention names but my sources are very reliable.:thumbsup:

Sorry mate....as professional athletes, alchohol is not part of the agenda. Being 'out on the town' is total disrespect to their profession, to the fans, to their bodies. Whether or not Russell let them get away with it..they , should not have even been going there. And as i said before...i dont believe for one minute, that Gus and the new regime would even consider this as part of the remit.
And yet again...'reliable source'.....bollocks !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here