Matt Richards

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
My abiding memory of Matt Richards was the game against Walsall last season (the one we lost playing against nine men!).

He spent the entire game carrying the ball down the wing, then pumping ineffective crosses into the box.

Was a player comfortable on the ball, but don't think he added much to the team as a whole.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
he was no jimmy mac, but was by far and away the best left back we had for a year and a half

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
What are we doing? Thats both Harding & Richo slipped through our fingers and gone to lesser clubs. We better have a decent left back in mind because this is getting worrying.

I always thought Richo would end up back here, or at least hoped he would.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
What are we doing? Thats both Harding & Richo slipped through our fingers and gone to lesser clubs. We better have a decent left back in mind because this is getting worrying.

I always thought Richo would end up back here, or at least hoped he would.

perhaps we have now moved on.And we are looking at real quality now.:albion2:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Richards wasnt that good for us I didnt think, got turned too quickly, rather have McNulty any day

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Considering how many shite left-backs we've had, it's surprising Richards is held in quite such low esteem by some - McNulty looks a better player, but I'd jump at signing MR; if he were content to be a utility/backup player, anyway.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If we are to lose Lynch, which I doubt, I would sooner sign Richards than Harding although both would be better than our present options with McNulty out injured.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Considering how many shite left-backs we've had, it's surprising Richards is held in quite such low esteem by some - McNulty looks a better player, but I'd jump at signing MR; if he were content to be a utility/backup player, anyway.

He was after mega-wages apparently, Ipswich were paying him very well, as he was a regular England U21 when you got a contract there.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Matt Richards was the classic 'great one game, disaster the next' type of player, often depending on who was on the wing for the opposition.

His worse game was against Leicester their winger totally destroyed him (Gradel I think), got mullered by the MK Dons winger as well.
Him and Harding are awful in my opinion, defensively & positionally they are both very poor.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Richards wasnt that good for us I didnt think, got turned too quickly, rather have McNulty any day

Yeah maybe, but McNulty is injured and although the club are saying he'll be back in September I'm not so sure. They obviously know much more than me on this but he looks bloody ill to me.

As a back up I'd have both Richo & Harding over Lynch at left back for the simple fact that their hearts would be in it.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
he was no jimmy mac, but was by far and away the best left back we had for a year and a half
my feelings exactly but richards didnt have much competition
orient are welcome to richo but id have harding back any day

Nice lad, did a decent enough job of work in a crap team, and was consistent at that job.
He almost always took the ball out wide and lumped it past the halfway line - several times per game, match after match after match. That is better than passing across your own goal mouth, passing it to an opposing player, selling it short, or losing it in the middle and getting passed so that the keeper was exposed. Lynch, Elphick and Hawkins were often found wanting, but Richards did the same thing every time. Whing is a harder working back, and perhaps more protective of the area, but Matt Richards did 'do a job'

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
good luck to him, will always be remember for scoring that penalty against Man City

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports