Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Extras

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Meade's_Ball said:
I find Extras more depressingly unfunny and VIth form collegely each time i see it. I liked Gervais and have done for years, but this is an artless, charmless embarassment of repetitive copy.

Thank god for that post. I thought I was going mad seeing all this praise for what was the biggest pile of juvenile repetitive shit Gervais has ever produced. Last night was the first time I have ever sat through a Gervais prog, whether The Office or Extras and not laughed once. Why Merchant has now decided to give himself more screen time as essentially a B version of Gervais, using David Brentisms whist Gervais plays the straight man I don't know.

RG is a genius but that episode was an embarrassment to his name and possibly exposes him as the one trick pony he could very well be.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Cheeky Monkey said:
Thank god for that post. I thought I was going mad seeing all this praise for what was the biggest pile of juvenile repetitive shit Gervais has ever produced. Last night was the first time I have ever sat through a Gervais prog, whether The Office or Extras and not laughed once. Why Merchant has now decided to give himself more screen time as essentially a B version of Gervais, using David Brentisms whist Gervais plays the straight man I don't know.

RG is a genius but that episode was an embarrassment to his name and possibly exposes him as the one trick pony he could very well be.

Sort of agree, last night wasnt as good, IMHO, still made me laugh in parts though, it's nigh on impossible to make every episode ground-breakingly funny

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
As I have said in previous threads is it funny to take the piss out of someone with Downs Syndrome ?, as essentially that was the jist of the show. I know you will say " yes but he is not " but the downs sydrome boy in the episode wasn't in on the joke was he , yes Downs Syndrome must be a laugh a minute ???

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Uncle Spielberg said:
As I have said in previous threads is it funny to take the piss out of someone with Downs Syndrome ?, as essentially that was the jist of the show. I know you will say " yes but he is not " but the downs sydrome boy in the episode wasn't in on the joke was he , yes Downs Syndrome must be a laugh a minute ???

Agree with the gist of that. How the fug would you pitch that to the boy's parents? "Er we want to do a jokey sketch based on your son's downs syndrome, whadda you say?"

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Cheeky Monkey said:
Why Merchant has now decided to give himself more screen time as essentially a B version of Gervais, using David Brentisms whist Gervais plays the straight man I don't know.

Merchant's character most reminds me of Gareth from the office.

Last night was ok, but the kiddie from Harry Potter was essentially doing exactly the same thing that Orlando Bloom did in the first episode.

Best bit was the daytime tv people sending themselves up. " and next an indepth report about the aftermath of the Rwandan genocide from the winner of Big Brother 2"

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I really like RG and thought last night was good but sometimes I chuckle and think, should you really be laughing at that ??? , people say RG is getting comedy out of situations with dsiabled people that are awkward but I say it happens to often and is too much a trend as to make it suspicious. Yes Gervais we get the point. What next week " jokes about someone with no arms from birth ", there must be a lot of jokes in that RG. Leave it out RG as you are very very good and enough is enough.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
The same way they managed to persuade Samuel L Jackson to be a part of an episode that had jokes about peoples hang-ups around racial differences.

People with a more intelligent sense of humour realise that ethnic minority or person with learning difficulties is not the butt of the joke.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Uncle Spielberg said:

US in missing the point shock!

Surely the point of the Downs Syndrome episode was how easily the media creates it's own reality around a story to fit in with their own objectives.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Each episode sees yet another incredibly similar cameo from someone who wants to be involved with their own stardom by belittling it. OH HOW FUNNY AND TELLING. No industry is less interesting than the commercial. The Office was good because it became lost in the uselessness of stats and keyboard taps and tributes toward nothing as each of people's days often house. This, though, rots in self-importance and stinks in further televised stand-up routines.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am getting royally pissed off with this " I am missing the point ", what is the point for the Boy, lets laugh at his condition. I think you are the one missing the point.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
He is obsessed about disabled people, that is my point, why the obsession ??? , lets have a row of people and see if we can spot the Mongloid from behind ???

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Uncle Spielberg said:
I am getting royally pissed off with this " I am missing the point ", what is the point for the Boy, lets laugh at his condition. I think you are the one missing the point.

Can you really not see?

At no point is the boy the subject of the humour. It is all about RG's unintentional social faux pas. We are not invited to laugh at own's syndrome at any point. The humour is in the demonisation of RG for his mistake and how circumstance and the agenda's of those around him conspired to create a media image of his character a distasteful bully.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
We disagree, lets leave it at that.

McShane79

Oct 20, 2005
Worthing
Voroshilov said:
Can you really not see?

At no point is the boy the subject of the humour. It is all about RG's unintentional social faux pas. We are not invited to laugh at own's syndrome at any point. The humour is in the demonisation of RG for his mistake and how circumstance and the agenda's of those around him conspired to create a media image of his character a distasteful bully.

100% agree. It was funny because it was cringeworthy (if that's a word).

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It's that time of the week again folks................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here