Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club Finances

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
FG aka FOOTBALL GENIUS said:
home game this early in season below 6000 attendance hardly the mass interest dick proclaims so why hasnt samrah explained where all th emoney has gone

I don't think you have much valid to add to this disagreement - stay out of it please

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Large One said:
What is the nature of the financial situation that we are led to believe, and what is the situation that you are suggesting the truth may be? And where is the evidence to back this up?

I am not an accountant but as a layman reading the accounts up until June 2003 I am concerned that our indebtidness appears to have risen by over £2m since the same time in 2002 despite as The Chairmans Report states the players receiving lower wages due to a clause in their contracts regarding relegation.

AS stated earlier I am away working at the moment and do not have the accounts in front of me so I cannot quote exact figures.

I would be grateful if somebody with accountancy knowledge can explain what exactly is the Directors Loan Account. Is this the money that they have individually loaned the club.

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
brighton fan will go to falmer once built in the many 1000,s to start with and as long as the standard of football is good enough they will come back for more, as long as home gates average 12000-15000 this should bring in enough cash to keep the stadium going.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
BensGrandad said:
I am not an accountant but as a layman reading the accounts up until June 2003 I am concerned that our indebtidness appears to have risen by over £2m since the same time in 2002 despite as The Chairmans Report states the players receiving lower wages due to a clause in their contracts regarding relegation.

AS stated earlier I am away working at the moment and do not have the accounts in front of me so I cannot quote exact figures.

I would be grateful if somebody with accountancy knowledge can explain what exactly is the Directors Loan Account. Is this the money that they have individually loaned the club.

So if you have little or no idea of accountancy, why are you making statements along the lines of 'I am suggesting that the financial situation in the club is a lot worse than we are led to believe...'?

When the accounts came out, Paul Samrah puts some posts up to clarify some of the points. Ask him, assuming you trust him.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
BensGrandad said:
Hopefully somebody will be able to answer my queries about the increased debt and Directors Loan Account.

I think we have all lost the will to live and answer your questions

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
BensGrandad said:

The debt did indeed increase. As it did the previous year, as it has done since 1999. Thats as far back as the figures in front of me go. They arent full accounts only summary/headline data. I can tell you they show the directors got paid a total of 100K.

I can also tell you that there are no Directors Loans, either way, shown - it would appear the directors are funding the club by way of share issues not debt. And that there's a couple of million in VAT/'other' liabilities which make the figures look a little worse than they probably are.

I can point out to you that when accounts are released they are out of date, while the chairmans statement is usually forward looking, so the relegation savings would show on the 2004 accounts not 2003.

What i cant tell you is why on earth you persist in flogging this dead horse. If you have a copy of the accounts and access to the internet, there's no reason why you cant answer all the questions you pose. But then it seems your more interested in spread rumour and discontent.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
BensGrandad said:
Hopefully somebody will be able to answer my queries about the increased debt and Directors Loan Account.

FFS you're boring me now. If you don't trust the figures go pay an accountant to look at them for you. I'm not sure how the title "Directors Loan Account" can be mis-understood. The Club have no money so can't have lent any to Directors so it can only be money lent to the Club by the Directors.

The Club made very clear statements regarding loses etc when the accounts were published and Insider has kindly shown what a shit stirrer you are so please f*** off and let the rest of us support the club we love.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Just our of interest, how much money did the club receive for the play-offs?

My understanding was that for all matches half the gate receipts are pooled amongst all the teams in Div 2, and that we split the other 50% equally with Bristol City for the final, and the same principle applies for the Swindon game.

Therefore we actually made less money from the Swindon game than for a normal home match, as we only get 25% of the net receipts.

Given that the crowd for the final was 65,000, our quarter share of that is just over 16,000 people. After deducting VAT and the running costs of the stadium and the expenses of the two clubs and officials lets say that the Albion received a net £8 per fan, which means that we made only £128,000 from the match, of which £100,000 had to go to Chelsea for Leon Knight under the terms of the deal.

So FG and his cronies can stick all their claims of ''where has the money gone" up their arses, cos their is none.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
El Presidente said:

So FG and his cronies can stick all their claims of ''where has the money gone" up their arses, cos their is none.
Well said EP.It should be obvious to anyone with an ounce of commonsense that the Albion's running costs far outweigh the income(even allowing for the additional revenue from the play-offs)That's why Falmer is so important-unless we can increase the turnover the club will always run at a loss
It seems that Ernest,FG ,Ben's Grandad and a few others aren't interested in the truth-they have their own agendas and they are not going to let the facts get in the way

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Sorry... estimated revenue from the play-off final is £400-500k per club...

Above sums are just wrong and ignore TV money, merchandise, etc...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Westdene Seagull said:
FFS . The Club have no money so can't have lent any to Directors so it can only be money lent to the Club by the Directors.

please f*** off and let the rest of us support the club we love.

First and formost I love this club and have done since 1945. The money

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I often do with supporters who cannot sethe money e the wood from the trees.

The money that I have spent at or for the Albion would far exceed what a number of directors have put into the club it is just unfortunate that I do not have the money to do this on one loan.

If this 'Directors Loan Acount ' represents what they have loaned the club then other than DK who has lent us £312k I am not impressed what are the others doing.

I would consider it very shrewd business to lend a club a few thousand and then get a contract estimated at £48m plus to build the new stadium if permission is given.

Unfortunately I am at work and do not have a copy of the accounts with me but on my return next wekend I will check the figures that I have quoted, from memory, so please do not castigate me if they are slightly wrong.

Insider has done a very good PR job, as you would expect, on character assination of me but has avoided really answering any questions about the finances.

Much as I have apologised about the manner in which this was stated by me, I believe that it will not die and will rear its head again..

Last edited:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The bottom line is that the club will suffer
with money difficulties until a new stadium is
built whether it be falmer or elsewhere.
We just need to thank our lucky stars that FBS
loves the albion and keeps sponsoring us !!!!!!!!

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
BensGrandad said:
I often do with supporters who cannot sethe money e the wood from the trees.

The money that I have spent at or for the Albion would far exceed what a number of directors have put into the club it is just unfortunate that I do not have the money to do this on one loan.

If this 'Directors Loan Acount ' represents what they have loaned the club then other than DK who has lent us £312k I am not impressed what are the others doing.

I would consider it very shrewd business to lend a club a few thousand and then get a contract estimated at £48m plus to build the new stadium if permission is given.

Unfortunately I am at work and do not have a copy of the accounts with me but on my return next wekend I will check the figures that I have quoted, from memory, so please do not castigate me if they are slightly wrong.

Insider has done a very good PR job, as you would expect, on character assination of me but has avoided really answering any questions about the finances.

Much as I have apologised about the manner in which this was stated by me, I believe that it will not die and will rear its head again..

Football clubs are run as businesses. I don't think we particularly need to know where the money is going, or how business is conducted. What happens on the pitch is all that interests me.

BUT, with situations like Bellotti and Archer then yes, we have a right to know because fundimentally it is OUR club. I couldn't give a monkeys what goes on in the boardroom or accountants office as long as it doesn't adversely affect the club.

Some people think they have a right to know every last detail about the club just because they support them.

The club is not being fleeced by anyone. We are not in danger a la '97. We're doing OK in Div 1. And, we have an excellent manager and chairman.

Let them do their job - running the club etc etc., and we'll do ours - cheering the team and ocassionally moaning at them.

Oct 5, 2003
unfortunately much as yes im interested in a team playing well im also interested in watching it in a reasonable ground atmosphere etc and all this is affected by the finacial structure at the club and its plans re a new ground etc so much as i wanna watch attractive football these other financial matters have a very large impact on this.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
True FG but there are some instances where we just have to let the powers that be get on with it.

I'm 100% behind our management team from Dean White up to Dick Knight. If I wasn't then maybe I'd be concerned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here