Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton's Best Pubs - YOUR TOP 10

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
the christmas decorations were incredible.

they still play cheesy music if you say it's your birthday though, but that's about it:(

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
1. Freemasons
2. Western Front
3. Quadrant ( or whatever it's now called since reopening )
4. Hop Poles
5. Constant Service
6. Cricketers
7. Robin Hood
8. Battle of Trafalgar
9. Yeoman
10. Basketmakers

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
sparkie said:
3. Quadrant ( or whatever it's now called since reopening )
It's called the Quadrant. Anyone been in there yet? Looks like they've done a nice job on it.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Typical...I had been waiting ages for it to open but now I'm living in London.

(opened 4 days after i went...grrrrr)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
BensGrandad said:
Guinness Boy said:
You'd remember it if you'd ever been there, trust me. LOL at UB's comment too - 'it just looks a bit run down' :lolol:

I had a pub next door to the BRSA Club in Kings Cross in the early 70s and most of the pubs in the area made their money out of prostitutes and punters wanting to meet prostitutes. There was a jewellers on the corner of Caledonian Road and Grays Inn Road and just up the road there was a pub either side of the road, neither was called the Flying Scotsman so wondered which one of the two it was. One was called The Caledonian and the other The Queens Head I think.

To be honest I've no idea of the address as every time I've been there I've been barely able to stand. All I know is you leave Kings X station, turn left and follow the smell of tuna

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Man of Harveys said:
It's called the Quadrant. Anyone been in there yet? Looks like they've done a nice job on it.

Was in there last Friday night late, and was surprised it was reopened... Just assumed it had been renamed....

As good as it used to be

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Man of Harveys said:

I used to be the stocktaker for the company that owned The Quadrant in the late 70s company called Lion Taverns, which was owned by Maxwell Josephs ex wife. They also had The Alhambra Bar on Brighton seafront, The Rockingham in Silverwood St (?) and The Walmer Castle, now called The Walmer.

At the time the Quadrant was the only pub in Brighton that didn't have a mens toilet as the law didn't require one as there was a public convenience in the middle of the road, by the Clock Tower, that was open during the hours that the pub was open.

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
The Large One said:
The Prince of Wales, or the other side - the Western Front.

BTW which Druids Head? The Lanes or the Open Market?

Western Front and Lanes.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
northstandnorth said:
i know its a wetherspoons,but you have GOT to admit king and barnes was a much better brewery and had a finer stable of beers than that lewes outfit.

and it is worth the visit to try 2 of the lesser kings beers.the pride of sussex is the RED RIVER ALE brewed by the railway tracks of horsham and it would be even worth a trip to the marina to try ANY of them

King & Barnes Old Ale was even better than the Harveys version. It was a tragedy when the brewery closed.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Dover Castle
No Name
Constant Service
The Geese
The Greys
Setting Sun
Walmer
Horse and Groom
The Hanover
The Reservoir

Do I need to get out of Hanover more?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
No particular order

1. The Lion & Lobster
2. The Sussex (Brighton)
3. Feemasons
4. The Cricketers
5. Battle of Trafalgar
6. Basketmakers Arms
7. The Lord Nelson
8. The Buccaneer (seafront)
9. Hove Place
10. TBA

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
BarrelofFun said:
5. Battle of Trafalgar
I have a very love/hate relationship with this pub: I go there a lot - it's convenient, does Harveys and my mates like it - but there's not that much to recommend it really: the decor is awful (not even old/crap enough to be appealingly-oldfashioned, just dire), I'm not a big fan of the Harveys in there either, plus it's always full, a bit hot, devoid of totty and the toilets are pretty grim. The nearby Eddy, which is always much emptier, is a better bet, I'd say.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Man of Harveys said:
I have a very love/hate relationship with this pub: I go there a lot - it's convenient, does Harveys and my mates like it - but there's not that much to recommend it really: the decor is awful (not even old/crap enough to be appealingly-oldfashioned, just dire), I'm not a big fan of the Harveys in there either, plus it's always full, a bit hot, devoid of totty and the toilets are pretty grim. The nearby Eddy, which is always much emptier, is a better bet, I'd say.

I have to agree, plus that snotty little mop haired oink who works behind the bar is very annoying. However sitting by the fire is very nice.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Easy 10 said:
My faves, in no particular order (except the top one):

Kings Head, Fishersgate
Red Lion, Shoreham
Cricketers, Southwick
Romans, Southwick
La Cala, Southwick (perfect in the summer)
The Sussex, Brighton
Market Inn, Brighton
The Crab Inn, Shanklin
The Caxton, Brighton
Swiss Cottage, Shoreham

Kings head only went in there the ionce although when i was at NTL used to go in teh Albion a lot and that was a right old sh1t hole.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Jimmy Saville said:
Dover Castle
No Name
Constant Service
The Geese
The Greys
Setting Sun
Walmer
Horse and Groom
The Hanover
The Reservoir

Do I need to get out of Hanover more?

Nah, alot of them are good pubs.

Not sure about the Horse and Groom though..

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
sparkie said:
Not sure, we were just downstairs and didn't bother to check.

Great stuff! I thought The Quadrant was going to be lost as part of that redevopment that going on at the Clock Tower - good to hear it's been reopened. Saw that bloke from The Fast Show (Mark Williams?) in there before a game a few years back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here