Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton's Best Pubs - YOUR TOP 10

Dandyman

In London village.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Arthur said:
You can, but only if I can vote for the chequers in Battle if only for the pub quiz that goes on for a month.

Round 73 is a picture round......

*groans*

Play your cards right never started before midnight!

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
1. Evening Star
2. Basketmakers (Gales Festival Mild - a sad loss)
3. Lord Nelson
4. Hand in Hand (S.I.D!)
5. Prestonville
6. Bugle (Timothy Taylor Landlord!)
7. Sir Charles Napier
8. Battle of Trafalgar
9. Waggon and Horses
10. Dover Castle

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
1.The Albert.(naturally)

then in no real order...

Caxton, Hampton, Dover Castle, Setting Sun, Basketmakers, Great Eastern.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Battle of Trafalgar (although one of the barman is a dick)
The Yeoman
The Caxton
The Eddy
Druids Head
The Black Lion
The Windmill
Prince Albert
The Hop Poles
That one by Churchill Square but for some odd reason I can't remember the name, it is opposite the cash machiines.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Les Biehn said:
The Yeoman
The Caxton
The Eddy
Druids Head
The Black Lion
The Windmill
Prince Albert
The Hop Poles
That one by Churchill Square but for some odd reason I can't remember the name, it is opposite the cash machiines.
The Prince of Wales, or the other side - the Western Front.

BTW which Druids Head? The Lanes or the Open Market?

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Coopers Cask
The Windmill
London Unity
Hop Poles
The Great Eastern
Open House
Battle of Trafalgar
Park Crescent
Earth and Stars
The Eagle

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Les Biehn said:
The Yeoman
The Caxton
The Eddy
Druids Head
The Black Lion
The Windmill
Prince Albert
The Hop Poles

I forgot Battle of Trafalgar.

Eddy is good too, nice barmaid who is going out with Jez(stoner guy with dreds) from the Albert

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
northstandnorth said:
(part of the family behind king and barnes) both much better than that harveys muck from lewes.

give it a try man of harveys

John King was I believe a grandson of the King of King & Barnes and now produces an excellent Bitter which I have had recently in The Ship in Southwick and The Gardeners Arms in Sompting. I am not a great lover of Harveys and believe that Kings is far superior.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
BensGrandad said:
John King was I believe a grandson of the King of King & Barnes and now produces an excellent Bitter which I have had recently in The Ship in Southwick and The Gardeners Arms in Sompting. I am not a great lover of Harveys and believe that Kings is far superior.
So has this now become a East Sussex v West Sussex beer fight?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
In no great order, these could all change just like THAT:

1. Robin Hood
2. Lord Nelson
3. Cricketers
4. Eddy
5. Conqueror
6. Colonnade
7. Sudeley Arms
8. Lion And Lobster
9. Basketmakers
10. Regency Tavern (for what's left of the decor and nothing else)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
BensGrandad said:
Is that the one going up Caledonian Road from Kings X on the right.

You'd remember it if you'd ever been there, trust me. LOL at UB's comment too - 'it just looks a bit run down' :lolol:

Having been away from Brighton for 4 years most of the pubs will have changed staff and some have probably changed name too. I do like the Duke of Welly and Basketmakers and used to like the Battle of Trafalgar, Hop Poles and Nelson when I used to live here.

The Basketmakers has kept it's rustic style, where the Eagle opposite, has completely trendified....though their food looks good. The Pav Tav is ruined since the days I used to go there, and it's now a totally crap place to go for a drink.

The Office is quite good because of the Olde English Cider and excellent Thai food.
There's also a pub on a street just above Queens Road, Caxton's or something like that, it's okay.

When the tourist season is over and the weather is gloomy, the Royal Oak and Shepherd and Dog will be good locals :drink:

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Guinness Boy said:
You'd remember it if you'd ever been there, trust me. LOL at UB's comment too - 'it just looks a bit run down' :lolol:

I had a pub next door to the BRSA Club in Kings Cross in the early 70s and most of the pubs in the area made their money out of prostitutes and punters wanting to meet prostitutes. There was a jewellers on the corner of Caledonian Road and Grays Inn Road and just up the road there was a pub either side of the road, neither was called the Flying Scotsman so wondered which one of the two it was. One was called The Caledonian and the other The Queens Head I think.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
bigc said:
Regency isn't the same since THEY left
Quite right. To be fair, it's not really been the same since I stopped working there in 1993 - it has weird things like CUSTOMERS now.

How good was that pub under the legendary C&G? How many other pubs could you walk in and say "there are twenty of us, all drinking champagne" (as a group of us once did) and they'd have that many glasses ready just like THAT? Or, in response to their meeting my girlfriend's Spanish family, they started immediately playing cheesy 1970s Spanish pop over the stereo?

In amongst all the kitschy decor and magic wands on your birthday, they also did the best Harveys in town. Such a shame but it looked maddeningly hard work to run a pub that well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here