[Albion] Albion Women

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I'm sure bringing the girls home to Brighton has been discussed at the club, hopefully something can be organised. I watched most of the games on FA player, and the quality has gone downhill this season. Ms Phillips has certainly had an impact so next season should be one of interest for the standard we want, as long as player retention and recruitment is addressed.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Really pleased, watched some of it through a stream, and the quality in our play was quite poor at times. Pleased to see Megan Walsh in goal, but understand she has had a difficult season.

Think we almost need to start again, the top four club aspiration looks a million miles away currently.

Be great to have them closer to Brighton and encourage more fans….

Well done ladies.
Two up two down next season as well……

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Just shy of 3000. We appear to be one of the only clubs to routinely declare attendance. We get pretty good crowds - but our fanbase has ‘previous’ in having to travel to home games👍
At the risk of taking the thread off-track, I was thinking about attendances the other day and wondered why is was deemed so important to announce it? Do they do it in other sports? Cricket? Basketball? THE DARTS?

I suppose I don't really know what purpose it serves. I get that, operationally, staff at a stadium need to know how many people are in there, but beyond that who really cares? Today's attendance will probably be just under 32,000... OK then, er, cool!

Anyway, well done to the women's team for getting themselves out of a bit of a hole.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
At the risk of fixtures, but I don't see that anyone else has done this today,so it would be remiss of me to pass up the chance to say...

...a very big well done to Katie Robinson who's made the Lionesses squad for the World Cup!

Whisper it quietly, but Albion just might end up with 2 World Cup winners in less than 12 months.

Hove Lagoonery

Dec 16, 2008
Would prob need a 2 hour gap between end of first match and start of the second unless the women had to change in the corridor or there are other changing rooms (that Spurs might have).
Plus time for the women to clean up after the men.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
At the risk of fixtures, but I don't see that anyone else has done this today,so it would be remiss of me to pass up the chance to say...

...a very big well done to Katie Robinson who's made the Lionesses squad for the World Cup!

Whisper it quietly, but Albion just might end up with 2 World Cup winners in less than 12 months.

Richly deserved :clap:

Her form and getting into the England squad have been one of the few good things from the Womens team this season!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Congratulations to Katie Robinson

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
At the risk of taking the thread off-track, I was thinking about attendances the other day and wondered why is was deemed so important to announce it? Do they do it in other sports? Cricket? Basketball? THE DARTS?

I suppose I don't really know what purpose it serves. I get that, operationally, staff at a stadium need to know how many people are in there, but beyond that who really cares? Today's attendance will probably be just under 32,000... OK then, er, cool!

Anyway, well done to the women's team for getting themselves out of a bit of a hole.
Maybe not for the men but important womans game attendances are shown. It is good to see if with all the publicity and finance given to it if this is reflected in increased attendances.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Don't know about the UK, but in Australia the attendance figures for cricket are always announced. Usually via the big screen within the stadium later on in the match. It's been a long time since I saw any matches, but I believe other major sports in Australia also announce attendance figures routinely.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Good to see Albion's Katie Robinson get some minutes today against Portugal, but England were very poor at home against a side ranked 21st.

They'll get through the groups no doubt, but those key injuries to the likes of Williamson and Mead are looking very costly already.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Good to see Albion's Katie Robinson get some minutes today against Portugal, but England were very poor at home against a side ranked 21st.

They'll get through the groups no doubt, but those key injuries to the likes of Williamson and Mead are looking very costly already.
Think the group games will be quite challenging as well.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Think the group games will be quite challenging as well.
Denmark (13) might be an even game, but I'd still expect England to beat China (14) and thrash Haiti (53) and top the group.

If they win Group D, they'll probably be facing one of Olympic Champions Canada or hosts Australia in the R16.

They need to come into some form quickly.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We lost plenty of quality last summer and subsequently Hope lost her job. A rebuild is needed just to ensure we are able to push on

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
On the subject of women’s matches at The Amex, is there not a limit on the number of events that can happen each year, as part of the planning conditions?

If so, I guess the club have to potentially cater for runs to latter stages of both cup competitions, as well as Europe this season?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Can anyone who follows our women's side provide a summary of what has happened from towards the end of last season to now?
It seems we had a disappointing season in 21/22 apart from reaching the FA Cup semi-final. I know we were flirting with relegation towards the end of the season.
I'm aware we have a new female American coach and have signed a lot of international players. I'm assuming collectively they are stronger that last season's squad.
It seems Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City and Man United are very strong, do we have any chance of challenging them?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Can anyone who follows our women's side provide a summary of what has happened from towards the end of last season to now?
It seems we had a disappointing season in 21/22 apart from reaching the FA Cup semi-final. I know we were flirting with relegation towards the end of the season.
I'm aware we have a new female American coach and have signed a lot of international players. I'm assuming collectively they are stronger that last season's squad.
It seems Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City and Man United are very strong, do we have any chance of challenging them?
I would imagine @zeetha is your go-to person here.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Last season was very disappointing especially as the season before we'd finished in the top half of the table. A lot of players had left, and we didn't replace enough and had to use development squad players a fair bit to bulk out the squad. Couple that with changes behind the scenes with the womens team organisation, and the disruption of three permanent head coaches (with two spells as interim head coach by Amy Merricks) you can understand how the season was a bit of a disaster and we were lucky that we weren't relegated.

The new head coach (Phillips) who joined at the end of last season is well thought of, but we will have to see how the results go with the reinvigorated squad. Having let a few players go (inc at least a couple I thought we should keep), we have recruited better this summer bringing in 9 players including several who played in the recent Womens World Cup. The transfer window ends tomorrow and I would expect at least one more player in - hopefully a goalkeeper as that is the one position at the moment that we could do with someone who could come in as our number 1. I've also been a bit surprised that Robinson hasn't left - I've got my fingers and everything else crossed that she is still a Brighton player on Friday!

Looking ahead to the new season, if the team gels then we have a chance of doing better than last season and I'd be happy if we were even just sitting around mid table and another cup run would be a bonus. Arsenal and Chelsea are still the teams to beat, with Aston Villa also having recruited well last season and over the summer. Both Man City and Man Utd could well challenge them, but City haven't done much in the transfer window (yet) and were a bit shaky at times last year, and Man Utd seem to have some problems behind the scenes. Just getting draws against those teams will be an achievement, and I can't see us challenging for the title this year but you never know in sport!

Frustratingly the first home game of the season is the same afternoon at the Mens game against Liverpool with the womens kicking off at 12pm at Crawley, and the mens at 2pm at the Amex. Think that will really affect the crowd for the Womens game which is such a shame. I'm trying to work out if I can still get to both... :ROFLMAO:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Last season was very disappointing especially as the season before we'd finished in the top half of the table. A lot of players had left, and we didn't replace enough and had to use development squad players a fair bit to bulk out the squad. Couple that with changes behind the scenes with the womens team organisation, and the disruption of three permanent head coaches (with two spells as interim head coach by Amy Merricks) you can understand how the season was a bit of a disaster and we were lucky that we weren't relegated.

The new head coach (Phillips) who joined at the end of last season is well thought of, but we will have to see how the results go with the reinvigorated squad. Having let a few players go (inc at least a couple I thought we should keep), we have recruited better this summer bringing in 9 players including several who played in the recent Womens World Cup. The transfer window ends tomorrow and I would expect at least one more player in - hopefully a goalkeeper as that is the one position at the moment that we could do with someone who could come in as our number 1. I've also been a bit surprised that Robinson hasn't left - I've got my fingers and everything else crossed that she is still a Brighton player on Friday!

Looking ahead to the new season, if the team gels then we have a chance of doing better than last season and I'd be happy if we were even just sitting around mid table and another cup run would be a bonus. Arsenal and Chelsea are still the teams to beat, with Aston Villa also having recruited well last season and over the summer. Both Man City and Man Utd could well challenge them, but City haven't done much in the transfer window (yet) and were a bit shaky at times last year, and Man Utd seem to have some problems behind the scenes. Just getting draws against those teams will be an achievement, and I can't see us challenging for the title this year but you never know in sport!

Frustratingly the first home game of the season is the same afternoon at the Mens game against Liverpool with the womens kicking off at 12pm at Crawley, and the mens at 2pm at the Amex. Think that will really affect the crowd for the Womens game which is such a shame. I'm trying to work out if I can still get to both... :ROFLMAO:
Not one, but TWO keepers…

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports