Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Sun says we are in talks with Coppell

SamPeters

Nov 3, 2009
I just feel its no good bringing him back in because there are better managers who could do something with the club then SC ?...Curbs would be a good one...hell Ian McParland would be a good one to have...just not SC for me

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
ok i stand corrected but surely we dont want another ex manager,, look what happened with ole micky !!!

I never wanted MA back personally, as I was never that impressed with his tactics and always thought he was a bit of a dinosaur (sacrilege I know!) but Coppell is a much much better tactician, manager and motivator than MA and has had success in varying degrees at every club he has been at, apart from Man City.

Also imo Slade has left him with the basics of a squad who are capable of playing the Coppell way and I have no doubt SC will be able to sort the defence pretty quickly as well. I would expect (although not demand) that we would have a good chance of making the playoffs, why would I not want that? :shrug:

Last edited:

SamPeters

Nov 3, 2009
If a bigger, better employer approached you and offered you a much better job with much better prospects and much more money, and your current employer was pushing you into it as well as they would get some money out of it, what would you do?

if i was loyal to where i want to work...tbh i would stay where i am if i was happy...if i got sacked it would be a different matter but the matter of the fact he left us 1/4 the way through the season to go take over reading no matter what money was offered

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
if he wanted to be loyal to the club he would not have gone no matter what the money was...there is a thing called declining a job ?

As Icy just said the club wanted the compensation money more than the man. If DK had been so keen to start with why didn't he get Coppell as soon as he left Brentford ? Many feel that if he had been here from the start of that season we could have stayed up.

SamPeters

Nov 3, 2009
SC
Brighton & Hove Albion-Played 49,Won 18,Drew 14 and Lost 17 which gave him a rating success of 36.73%
....why would you want someone who almost lost more games then he won before he LEFT/WALKED OUT on us which ever way you want to put it

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
SC
Brighton & Hove Albion-Played 49,Won 18,Drew 14 and Lost 17 which gave him a rating success of 36.73%
....why would you want someone who almost lost more games then he won before he LEFT/WALKED OUT on us which ever way you want to put it

You weren't going to games at that time were you?

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
if i was loyal to where i want to work...tbh i would stay where i am if i was happy...if i got sacked it would be a different matter but the matter of the fact he left us 1/4 the way through the season to go take over reading no matter what money was offered

You'd be in a very small minority who would do that.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
ok i stand corrected but surely we dont want another ex manager,, look what happened with ole micky !!!

This whole 'never go back' thing is starting to annoy me. Adams did well the first time by signing a load of players who he knew and had worked with before who had experience of getting teams promoted from the bottom division. He was a good motivator and got them fighting for the team and got us promoted. He was never very good tactically and never really had a plan B, but it didn't matter because we bought the best squad in the division, and players who knew what it took to get out of that division. He was never the genius Manager that some made him out to be, and he hasn't exactly been a huge success anywhere else.

Coppell on the other hand, is massively experienced and has been successfull more or less everywhere he's been. He's in a totally different league to Adams. The 2nd appointment of Adams was never going to work, he did well the first time but was always going to struggle to be as successful the 2nd time around. Coppell was only here for a short period of time, almost got us out of an impossible position, didn't have time to build his own team and left because a much better job came along which suited him, Reading and us.

To compare the two is ridiculous. If Coppell came now he would not be here on quick rescue mission , he would be here to rebuild the team and take us into Falmer where we can actually push on and achieve something, rather than have our hands tied behind our backs at Withdean with a new stadium that may or not arrive in 5 years time, which is the situation he was in last time.

Never go back, if you were brilliantly succesfull the first time round and are likely to struggle to match what you did before. Coppell was only here for a short period, the never go back rule does not apply for him.

SamPeters

Nov 3, 2009
You weren't going to games at that time were you?

nope i will admit i wernt going to the games...but the stats show that it wouldnt be wise...maybe he might do better as he has more expereince..i just dont want the risk after MA

You'd be in a very small minority who would do that.

And yeah i know i would be the very small minority but if it came to somewhere you came to love or got really fond you wouldnt want to leave

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
SC

are you stupid? alot of that was in the championship with a worse team than we have now and no money what so ever. i remember mayo looking like he belonged in the championship. he likes us , went on marches whilst manager at reading and also said to reading fans that brighton are a bigger club than reading.

mark my words coppell will be amazing , he will get us top half this season , maybe play offs. he is loyal and will lead us into the championship in falmer

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
nope i will admit i wernt going to the games...but the stats show that it wouldnt be wise...maybe he might do better as he has more expereince..i just dont want the risk after MA

If I was to tell you that we played better football then than we have since (except maybe some of the stuff this year without the comical defending) would you reconsider?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
SC

Er, we were playing in the Championship at an athletics stadium with a 9,000 capacity and the smallest budget in the division. Are you suggesting he should have won more games than he lost? So you think we should have been pushing for promotion to the Premiership?

You must be a very un-ambitious person then.

SamPeters

Nov 3, 2009
If I was to tell you that we played better football then than we have since (except maybe some of the stuff this year without the comical defending) would you reconsider?

no i wouldnt reconsider because you dont go by how they play...the could play amazing..but if your losing games then how good your playing doesent come into it

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
no i wouldnt reconsider because you dont go by how they play...the could play amazing..but if your losing games then how good your playing doesent come into it

OK, I'll leave it there then

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

And yeah i know i would be the very small minority but if it came to somewhere you came to love or got really fond you wouldnt want to leave

So you weren't going to games and because we lost more than we won, you think he shouldn't come back? You are aware we were in the Championship then? Stoke lost more games than they won last year in the Premiership, does that mean they should get a different Manager?

And why would he have been really fond of Brighton? We were playing at Withdean with the smallest budget in the division and with no hope of doing anything better than avoiding relegation to League 1 for the foreseeable future. It is a totally different situation now.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
No reason to disbelieve the Sun on anything regarding Sport and Politics, in either category their stories are usually spot on.

It's the bit inbetween you need to take with a pinch of salt !

Mmmmm, boobies with a pinch of salt

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here