Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Your garden.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Ditto here.

I use mowing in November to also hoover up leaves.
Exactly this. Pick up the leaves and just take off the tips off the grass. I reckon another couple of times (most of the trees in my garden aren't close to dropping yet). You reminding me to oversow a few weeks back worked well and lots of new grass where the summer took it's toll (y)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Exactly this. Pick up the leaves and just take off the tips off the grass. I reckon another couple of times (most of the trees in my garden aren't close to dropping yet). You reminding me to oversow a few weeks back worked well and lots of new grass where the summer took it's toll (y)
Same here, but it took a second go. An unforecast long dry spell wiped out the first.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Ditto here.

I use mowing in November to also hoover up leaves.
Likewise….depending on how many! …..I’ve got places that are surrounded by trees and if they’ve made no effort to pick the ‘mountains’ up then i wont mow them up….do a six foot stretch and the mowers jammed up……the growth because of the mild weather together with sometimes sodden conditions has made it a tad tricky enough as it is.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
If anyone in the Worthing, Littlehampton, Bognor, Chichester area etc is in need of a gardner, my friend Sam owns his own landscaping business and is looking for new clients, drop me a message.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Picked half a dozen more raspberries this afternoon!!

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I one of my foxglove plants is very confused and started flowering a couple of weeks ago. :oops:
In my garden I have foxgloves, primulas, primroses, vinca major, cowslips, nasturtiums, rhododendrons, cyclamen, daisy (in the lawn) all in flower.

The lawn needs (yet) another cut and the trees are full of berries - and the birch, willow and oak leaves are all over the place. Mother Nature is having a laugh.

To make life more interesting we chose this week to start building a new patio - which we have two guys in to do professionally. It looked more like a swimming pool until they started adding the "gravel/hardcore" stuff today.

Hey ho!

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Hopefully I did the final cut of the year today. With any luck I won’t have to do it for 5 months, but the mowing season seems to be getting longer.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Plastic grass, always green and hose pipe ban free. After 5 years of failing to master a real lawn, I bloody love my lush astro turf - Nou Camp is the name.
Me too. My Lazylawn, not your astro model. Fabulous drainage from the rain too.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
End of term, maybe 1-2 more lawn trims, very much putting it to bed. Pain in the arse scarifying needs to be done as well.

Mrs Jakarta putting bulbs in planters and pots but aside from that pull the curtains closed, get the logs in and fire started until February.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Plastic grass, always green and hose pipe ban free. After 5 years of failing to master a real lawn, I bloody love my lush astro turf - Nou Camp is the name.
Doesn't it make you a little bit sad that nothing lives in, on or with your outdoor carpet? Obviously you're not overly concerned with the environment but don't you want to see something that lives?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I’ve got a huge willow, two fully grown oaks and five other mature trees in the garden (as well as three large conifers) and live next to a wood so am buried under leaves at present.The trees in the wood are mainly ash and are on their last legs. The grass is still growing and had the winter moss treatment today.
Have you had your climbers pruned back from the Hobbit House yet?

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
My wife does the gardening and is really getting over it, as it is 90m long and 25m wide.
It is never ending and she can't wait till we down size in a couple of years.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Not overly concerned with my impact on the environment via my 10ft plastic lawn. Also have 2 real giant palm trees, a tree that I have no idea what it is and a lot of Jasmin and bamboo. All evergreen and zero maintenance. The plastic lawn also stops the kids walking shit into the house and summer house. Less dirt in the house and on the kids means less cleaning so possibly an overall positive impact on the environment.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Not overly concerned with my impact on the environment via my 10ft plastic lawn. Also have 2 real giant palm trees, a tree that I have no idea what it is and a lot of Jasmin and bamboo. All evergreen and zero maintenance. The plastic lawn also stops the kids walking shit into the house and summer house. Less dirt in the house and on the kids means less cleaning so possibly an overall positive impact on the environment.
Not a chance.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Is there any real reason I should be eager to cut my lawn before winter?. After reseeding parts of the lawn a couple of years back it is incredibly lush right now. Some would say long and untidy but it looks so healthy I don't particularly want to cut it.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Doesn't it make you a little bit sad that nothing lives in, on or with your outdoor carpet? Obviously you're not overly concerned with the environment but don't you want to see something that lives?
Quite! My lawn has been a pain in the proverbials for the last couple of years since half of it was used as s storage area by builders working on the house two years ago. But I’m enjoying putting it right bit by bit…… and it’s natural. I’m even sympathising with the (loads of) weeds in it, but I’ll sort them out eventually.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I had hoped that at the end of September that was it for cutting the grass and a trim of the hedge/shrubbery. However the very mild October has put an end to that, sure it's dark night's again and even a touch of frost this morning but it's yet to stop our garden from being active. You?
Still plenty of colour but not much maintenance to do now. Garlic planted mid Oct is growing like crazy, some autumn onion sets going in today, then starting a project fencing off a bit of field to create a big new pond and a meadow (or just wild) area with some new hedging - Been taking saplings from anyone who would share, have about 100 Hazel, Oak, Alder, Hawthorn and Willow to go in. Have hundreds of Beech, Hazel and Oak seed being prepared in various ways to see if I can grow them! I'm getting a thing for trees :)
Quite! My lawn has been a pain in the proverbials for the last couple of years since half of it was used as s storage area by builders working on the house two years ago. But I’m enjoying putting it right bit by bit…… and it’s natural. I’m even sympathising with the (loads of) weeds in it, but I’ll sort them out eventually.
That's it, enjoy it! Let some of it go wild as well, see what grows!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here