Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] You go into a newsagent to buy...

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
If you're in a newsagent, then you have to take the opportunity to buy things that only they have through their 'Goodnight Sweetheart' portal back to the 70s/80s*.

This means anything from Bobbys, Scampi Fries, Spicy Nik Naks or Fish and Chips biscuits.
Accompany with a can of Shandy Bass, Dandelion & Burdock, Barrs Cream Soda or a generic brand milk shake in a plastic bottle.
Chocolate would be Cadbury's Snack, Bournville's Rum & Raisin, Dairy Milk Crunch or the soon to be gone Caramac: - Basically anything you could have found in a vending machine stuck to a train station wall.

Add in a single samosa in a plastic bag out of the fridge cabinet and you're living the dream.

* - Newsagents and ESK - Over twenty years into this millenium and I managed to find Goblin Steak Puddings and cardboard boxes of Poppets in ESK! I keep returning, but haven't found 'Cremola Foam' or 'Rise and Shine'.

Last edited:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Brannigans roast beef and mustard (if still available), Double Decker, drink wise been in Asia too long so milk tea / cold coffee / local energy drink or if in UK and can’t get those maybe something weird like tizer or lilt
Used to love Brannigans, a proper pub crisp

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Brannigan's Roast Beef and Mustard (Old Recipe)
Starbar
Rubicon Strawberry & Kiwi

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Some FANTASTIC suggestions on here and many threesomes that I'd like be all over.

Does a three-pack (or maybe even a sleeve of 10) of Jaffa cakes class as a 'chocolate bar'? I doubt it, so I'd choose: Walkers Sensations' lime and corriander chutney poppadoms, a Spira and blackcurrent tango*

*which gives me the excuse to post this beauty:

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Salt & Vinegar Squares
Still water
Whatever chocolate bar the homeless person outside fancies (I don't have a sweet tooth)

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Noticed that the Tesco finest beef and horseradish (Brannigans replacement discussed in this thread) have been out of stock for a few weeks.

In a panic, I emailed Tesco and my worst fears confirmed - they’ve been discontinued. Recommend buying up stock if you see it and are a fan.

Why does this always happen to products I love :nono:

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
Walkers sweet Thai chilli crisps
Aero
Pint of milk
..and a good moan about how the Racing Post is now £4.50 and how I can remember being shocked when it went up to £1

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here