[Albion] Would you take 7th place, if offered now?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you take finishing 7th this season?

• Yep - decent

Votes: 458 76.8%
  • No - we can get a Champions League spot

Votes: 138 23.2%

• Total voters

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Yes, I would.

But this assumes that we have a great run in the Europa and FA Cups. I'm not expecting to win the Europa, but I'd want us to perform well enough to keep growing our reputation on a bigger stage. That way we can attract more talent for future years.

But, if it doesn't assume that, then I'm borderline. I recognise that we've lost two strong players in Ali Mac and Caicedo and we're still gelling new players, but I'd want a little more. I want us to meet RDZ's expectations so that we keep him for a bit longer.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
We have played 5 of the top 8 and sit 6th. Why would anyone take 7th and walk away.
Man up. We are destined for top 4.

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
However I find that I'm mildly disappointed to currently be a mere 6th and think we should be higher 'if only' we hadn't let West Ham do a number on us and Pedro had put away that chance yesterday.
Doesn't even need that. If Villa had only beaten us 5-1 rather than 6-1 we'd be above them in 5th (on goals scored). That final goal deep in added time cost us a place.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Success, this season, for me is Top 10, given the impact of Europe
Progress is Top 4 or Top 10 and getting out of the group stage

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
The simple answer here is would RDZ accept 7th place? Not a chance and therefore neither am I. We’ve never had squad depth like now and if the newbies can get up to speed then why not dream?

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
Success, this season, for me is Top 10, given the impact of Europe
Progress is Top 4 or Top 10 and getting out of the group stage
I think if all we achieve is top 10 and get knocked out after group stage then RDZ is unlikely to be here next season. He won’t fancy a season without European footy.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
MOTD2 (which is always better than MOTD cos the presenter is Chappers) highlighted the scale of line up changes RDZ is making match to match, trying to blood new arrivals and cope with injuries. And cope with a minimum of 6 Europa League matches (and of course hopefully more). I think 7th would be massive under the circumstances.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Definitely.

Spurs and Chelsea will claim Euro spaces due to the virtue of next to no midweek football, a rare luxury. Whilst Citeh, Arsenal, Newcastle and Manure have spent vast sums, even when Manure are shit an expensive game changer scores a winner.

Leaving West Ham, Liverpool, Albion and Villa, making up 10 fighting for 7 places.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If you look at who has finished 8th in recent seasons it is the likes of Spurs or Arsenal at their worst, Leicester having one last hurrah, even ordinary Everton.

Wolves have finished 7th a couple of times, West Ham have got 7th too, so on the basis that we are better than all of that lot 7th should be as bad as it gets. Therefore, why accept the minimum?

We have a good squad, we have money to strengthen in January, Enciso should be back then and possibly Moder beforehand, while Fati, Igor, Baleba and Verbruggen will have adjusted and settled.

5th place and Champions League spot should be the target.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
7th would be great. I'd be happy come the end of the season. Doesn't mean I don't think we could so better.

So no.

I mean, I think it's entirely conceivable we have a set of players who could reach 4th. Chances of them playing together regularly enough to rack up the points for that spot in the table, I'd say small as things currently stand

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
When we will find out if 5th gets CL? That is what we should be aiming for.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There are only three teams that will definitely finish above us - Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool. There are still two Champions League spots after that and we're in a fight with Newcastle, Aston Villa, Man United and Spurs for those. Finishing in the top two of those five is clearly difficult, but not impossible when we have the best manager in the division. So to answer the question, I probably wouldn't take it at this stage as this could be the best chance we'll ever have to make the Champions League and I really think we can do it.

Add West Ham and Chelsea to the mix.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports