[Albion] Would you take 7th place, if offered now?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you take finishing 7th this season?

• Yep - decent

Votes: 458 76.8%
  • No - we can get a Champions League spot

Votes: 138 23.2%

• Total voters

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
7th. place would be an excellent finish - would happily take that as long as we make a better shot of the other cups than we did of the League Cup!
Out of (probably hypothetical interest), does winning the Europa League qualify for a CL place - and would this be at the expense of the team that finishes 5th. in the PL?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I was surprised by the reaction to the Villa defeat, I would take getting hammered occasionally for a top six finish and European football. RDZ football is all about the midfield and Beleba is looking like the answer to getting back to our best.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
I honestly believe we have a good chance at top 4 - citeh and arsenal will fight over first, quite hoping arsenal get first then third will probably be spurs then us (maybe Liverpool 3rd) everyone else can have a hun fight for 5th, 6th etc.

What’s the point of hoping for anything less than champions league?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
7th. place would be an excellent finish - would happily take that as long as we make a better shot of the other cups than we did of the League Cup!
Out of (probably hypothetical interest), does winning the Europa League qualify for a CL place - and would this be at the expense of the team that finishes 5th. in the PL?
Yes winning the Europa league gets you Champions league

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I honestly believe we have a good chance at top 4 - citeh and arsenal will fight over first, quite hoping arsenal get first then third will probably be spurs then us (maybe Liverpool 3rd) everyone else can have a hun fight for 5th, 6th etc.

What’s the point of hoping for anything less than champions league?
You alright Hun? :lolol:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I'd like to get Europe again. You see a lot of teams have one off seasons in Europe - Fulham, Swansea, Burnley, Wolves - I'd like to be a team that can do it regularly - then we've arrived. So i guess i would take seventh, although really I'm just enjoying the ride.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I would be ASTONISHED if anybody would not.

You'd have to be delusional, or spectacularly complacent about our current place in the order of things, to NOT take seventh. It would be a fantastic achievement.
You'd think so wouldn't you.

However I find that I'm mildly disappointed to currently be a mere 6th and think we should be higher 'if only' we hadn't let West Ham do a number on us and Pedro had put away that chance yesterday.

And I shall be disappointed if we don't beat Man City.

(What has HAPPENED to me? 😲)

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
It's possible that we will get better - nor worse - as the season progresses. Much of the squad rotation so far is not because players are burnt out, but because we are blooding new, young, inexperienced players. They are learning the system. We've made more mistakes this season in front of goal - at both ends of the pitch. With more experience, I expect (hope) we'll stop that. We also need a plan B for teams like Everton and Villa. I'm sure that is being worked on.

The top 4 will probably stay the same (in a different order), but 5th is up for grabs. As is anywhere down to 12th.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Because we’re not nearly rich enough. I mean we’re rich, but got to be OPEC level to really stand a chance. Good as we are, we won’t finish to 4. And don’t quote a unique freak 1-5000 Leicester as evidence we could. I could also end winning the jackpot lottery. But I probably my won’t. Because the odds are astonishingly against us over 38 games rather than first 8-10.
If football was played on a balance sheet then we'd be fighting a relegation battle every season.

Liverpool had individuals that are worth more than our entire squad yesterday so there is little point at looking at it from that point of view IMO.

I'm not for a second saying we're going to win the league but top 4 is achievable IMO.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
If football was played on a balance sheet then we'd be fighting a relegation battle every season.

Liverpool had individuals that are worth more than our entire squad yesterday so there is little point at looking at it from that point of view IMO.

I'm not for a second saying we're going to win the league but top 4 is achievable IMO.
Nah, there have been quite a few of teams like us getting into top 5-10, as we’ve proved, but balance sheets really do come into top 4 finishes. We can hope, but realistically, it’s very unlikely to happen. The richest really do preserve those places because, well, they’re super rich. If we finish 5,6,7 I would be ecstatic again hence why take 7th now as per the question

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I would, yes. There are so many variables that we’re not used to as a club, as well as so many new, untested players, that I think getting in Europe again represents a good season. I would hope for more, of course, but I would take that right now.

I also think a guaranteed second season in a row of European football makes us even more appealing as a club, allowing us to build further again.

I think we can achieve Champions League football if RDZ sorts some of the issues out and gets some consistency or selection.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
There are only three teams that will definitely finish above us - Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool. There are still two Champions League spots after that and we're in a fight with Newcastle, Aston Villa, Man United and Spurs for those. Finishing in the top two of those five is clearly difficult, but not impossible when we have the best manager in the division. So to answer the question, I probably wouldn't take it at this stage as this could be the best chance we'll ever have to make the Champions League and I really think we can do it.
Dare I add Chelsea to that list? I know they've only beaten tiddlers so far in the EPL, but a number of their decent players are beginning to come good (including Caicedo). And they have a chronic injury list which won't last for ever.
Outside of that lot, however, I can't see anyone else storming the top eight. Fulham and Brentford (last season's surprises, along with us) are significantly worse that last year.
Personally I'd be delighted with 7th and another crack at the Europa League.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Not really in the spirit of the question, but I wouldn't take ANYTHING right now. I am living for the moment. The last week has been something extraodinary and there is still a lot more to come. What a time to be alive and a Brighton fan. How fortunate am I to be able to be able to say I was there? It is a priveledge.

The Colonel

Sep 4, 2023
Dare I add Chelsea to that list? I know they've only beaten tiddlers so far in the EPL, but a number of their decent players are beginning to come good (including Caicedo). And they have a chronic injury list which won't last for ever.
Outside of that lot, however, I can't see anyone else storming the top eight. Fulham and Brentford (last season's surprises, along with us) are significantly worse that last year.
Personally I'd be delighted with 7th and another crack at the Europa League.

As you say, they've only beaten three of the no-hopers so far. They've come up short against any OK teams. And I still don't see where enough goals are coming from to seriously threaten the top four/five. But I think you're right, they need to be in the conversation, albeit for me as outsiders.

Given rotation mania, I'd bite your arm off

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
It’s unlikely the likes of spurs and Chelsea will be as bad this season - both will be top 6 unfortunately. Top 10 and a decent Europa run would be great .

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I voted yes I'd take it as, at the beginning of the season I said top 10 and out of Europa League stages.

But I think we are starting to see the benefits of the rotation that RDZ's been pushing. Not in lack of injuries, but in terms of players being able to 'step in and do a job'. I can't help but hope this investment early on in the season is going to benefit us later, in which case ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports