Nov 27, 2022
I was having this chat with a newly promoted Ipswich fan

VAR is obviously one of the big grievances
FFP
Low chance of being top 4, if you aren’t a Top 4 club
High chance of being relegated if you’ve just been promoted
Bigger sense of entitlement from fans
Games seldom played at 3pm on a Saturday

What do you dislike about the Premier League?

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
I love the Premier League. Not really bothered about any of the things you listed.

The main thing that bothers me is how idiot billionaires can take over clubs and spend stupid money on transfers and wages. It's not fair and ruins the competition somewhat.

We've done alright out of it, but we'd have finished higher if we got to keep our best players, possibly even a top four finish.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Is FFP a bad thing? Maybe for the likes of Boehly and Everton but any fan who thinks their club should automatically be spending £250m every season without consequences has to be pretty delusional to start with

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
The constantly changing kick off times. The one thing I do like with the Championship is that most games are 3pm on Saturdays other than the midweek schedules.

And sorry to say, the plastic fans. Yes we need their money but more than half of our current crowd never went to Withdean. I do accept though we have moved on and people like the better facilities we now have to offer so its somewhat understandable.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The hype/obsession by many fans in the other 19 clubs, at its extreme a 24-7 deranged hatred of the others.

For us this started like a light switch in August 2017. For some it appears far more compelling than Albion watching and celebrating.

Football’s always had schadenfreude, I remember in the 70’s enjoying car crash ManU. But I’m pretty sure it’s escalated several levels. Probably through social media and the legions of miserable older males.

When we were in the EFL, did we obsess in hating Rotherham, Ipswich and dozens of other clubs?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Bigger sense of entitlement from fans
I’d say the “massive” culture of certain teams in the championship is worse. At least big clubs in the EPL have a reason for it.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Why wouldn't you want the opportunity to see your club playing against the top clubs in the country, and against some of the very best teams in Europe?

I'd rather see what we can do against those top sides over watching a few more wins in a season in a lower division and what is better? 4th in the Championship (24th best in England) vs 10th in the premier league? (10th best side in England) not sure why you'd think 24th would be better unless you have a small club mentality.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
And sorry to say, the plastic fans. Yes we need their money but more than half of our current crowd never went to Withdean. I do accept though we have moved on and people like the better facilities we now have to offer so its somewhat understandable.
As someone who started coming to the Albion in the years between Withdean and Premier League (I.e. Championship at the Amex), can I just confirm whether I’m regarded as a “plastic” or not? Thanks.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The constantly changing kick off times. The one thing I do like with the Championship is that most games are 3pm on Saturdays other than the midweek schedules.

We had almost as many fans going to our Championship games at the Amex though, so that’s not a Premier League issue.

Hovegull

Nov 27, 2022
Why wouldn't you want the opportunity to see your club playing against the top clubs in the country, and against some of the very best teams in Europe?

I'd rather see what we can do against those top sides over watching a few more wins in a season in a lower division and what is better? 4th in the Championship (24th best in England) vs 10th in the premier league? (10th best side in England) not sure why you'd think 24th would be better unless you have a small club mentality.
I think that the Ipswich friend’s POV was that another season in the Championship, strengthening the squad etc and then getting promoted to stay up, would be preferable than a season up and then going straight back down.

Hovegull

Nov 27, 2022
If 3pm games could all be streamed live, then it would solve a lot of the scheduling issues.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports