Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Wood Burners - price and installation advice

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Fun fact, a 'ton' or 'bulk' bag of firewood will weigh about 200kg. No, not fun really. They're sometimes also described as a cubic metre when in fact they tend to be just over 1/2 a cubic metre. Still not fun, I know.

I'm currently looking at buying kiln dried logs priced in litres! Usually it's been in cubic m and goes up alarmingly each year. I've tried burning old decking but that's smelly, smoky and probably even more carcinogenic. Don't think this has been mentioned yet, but log burning has probably also led to an increase in Elm Disease as people are buying cheap wood from outside Brighton that has come from diseased trees with the eggs still in them.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I ordered some logs a few weeks ago, price has gone up 30% since the summer, how odd ;-)

I'll burn any clean wood, untreated logs, left overs from building . . . Crap pine furniture makes good kindling

Got a cup of sugar from next door last Friday

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Fun fact, a 'ton' or 'bulk' bag of firewood will weigh about 200kg. No, not fun really. They're sometimes also described as a cubic metre when in fact they tend to be just over 1/2 a cubic metre. Still not fun, I know.

It's more based on the volume for me. I built a log shed that holds a ton bags worth and know that I can compare prices on a like for like basis.

As an aside, I got a 'ton bag' of large cobbles the other week and they were a hell of a lot more than a ton.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I'm currently looking at buying kiln dried logs priced in litres! Usually it's been in cubic m and goes up alarmingly each year. I've tried burning old decking but that's smelly, smoky and probably even more carcinogenic. Don't think this has been mentioned yet, but log burning has probably also led to an increase in Elm Disease as people are buying cheap wood from outside Brighton that has come from diseased trees with the eggs still in them.

Burning anything that has been treated is not a good idea at all. The chemicals give off nasty vapours when burned.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
No longer have a barbecue but have loads of barbecue bricketts Can I put these on my log burner ?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Bought ourselves a stove top fan today. Reputed to be 20% more efficient and warm the house more by moving the air around.

But how can I actually tell? The weather is different every day, the fire burns differently every night - and I can't really use 'less fuel' as they say - because it doesn't get up to the 'optimum' heat all that often anyway, just hovers below it, so I can't have it cooler without it causing creosote and being less efficient!

Anyone tried one before, got any experiences?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I've got one of those gas fires in the fireplace with imitation coal. Apart from obviously needing a gas engineer to cut off and make safe the gas supply, what other steps do I need to take to start burning wood in the fireplace - and what sort of tradesman would I need to carry out any other necessary work?

Anybody successfully made this change? A few tips would be wondrous welcome, Ta.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Bought ourselves a stove top fan today. Reputed to be 20% more efficient and warm the house more by moving the air around.

But how can I actually tell? The weather is different every day, the fire burns differently every night - and I can't really use 'less fuel' as they say - because it doesn't get up to the 'optimum' heat all that often anyway, just hovers below it, so I can't have it cooler without it causing creosote and being less efficient!

Anyone tried one before, got any experiences?
Yeah, we use one for three stoves in different rooms; it makes little difference in the smallest room, but noticeable difference in the largest. Don't go cheap; they don't last. Spend £40+, less is false economy.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I've got one of those gas fires in the fireplace with imitation coal. Apart from obviously needing a gas engineer to cut off and make safe the gas supply, what other steps do I need to take to start burning wood in the fireplace - and what sort of tradesman would I need to carry out any other necessary work?

Anybody successfully made this change? A few tips would be wondrous welcome, Ta.
The chimney must be swept to remove any twigs etc dropped by birds (have it done even if you have a cowl; if you don't have one, have it swept then get one fitted.

Check on legislation. Stoves must be on plinth that has a certain distance at the same level in front of the door (might be 30 cm, but can't recall); I would imagine open fires might need same. CO monitor is required, but you will have one from gas fire.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

The most important thing to do before you install the woodburner is the check the chimney is lined - the liner is a safety precaution and stops the build up of creosote and allows toxic fumes to escape - It cuts down the risk of chimney fires and reduces risk of carbon monoxide escaping into upstairs rooms, especially if the flu is old and brickwork inside it has cracks (which would be entirely normal).

Call a chimney sweep to do a chimney inspection- will probably cost between £60-90. He will insert a camera up the chimney and also advise on the size of woodburner you need for your room and give you a quote for the lining.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Get a HETAS engineer to have a look if you are thinking of putting a solid fuel stove ://www.hetas.co.uk/consumer/services/installers/
They may need to adjust the size of the opening, or fit a hearth. Depending on what you have currently, it might be cheaper to fit a stove or burner than just having an open fire.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

Would definitely go down the log burner route rather than an open fire. My daughters got a log burner and we've got an open fire.

Quite a difference between the amount of heat from a log burner vs an open fire. Log burners are way more efficient and effective in heating the room using less wood for more heat.

Plus if you don't have a fire going, the chimney lets out a tremendous amount of heat from the room. Log burners are sealed so you don't have this big draught from a massive hole in your lounge.

Have been very seriously considering changing to a log burner.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Thank you, several gentlemen (or ladies) for some helpful replies. I will look into it further - but thanks to you I've now got an idea or two where to start.
:thumbsup:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Lots of Chimney Sweeps are HETAS qualified now but you don’t need a HETAS engineer for building’s regulations - there are other certified contractors that can also carry out and sign off on an installation
The first thing to do is make sure installing a woodburner is even feasible and that you have an open, structurally sound flu - a Chimney sweep with a camera survey will do that at a relatively reasonably cost - the bloke that installed my woodburner was a NAPIT certified Chimney Sweep - after that of course, anyone competent to sweep a chimney can maintain it, they don’t need to be certified (unless your building insurance policy stipulates it)

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
We had our stove installed in Spring 2022 by The Fireplace Company: https://www.the-fireplace.co.uk/showroom/

They were not cheap, but they did all the work (fireplace expansion, chimney lining, cowl on top, hearth installation, gas that was nearby made safe, wood burner installed, paint finishing, mantlepiece installed). The installed burner was a small Chesney Sailsbury: https://chesneys.co.uk/product/stoves/wood-burning-stoves/salisbury-4kw-eco-2022

It's been lovely this Autumn, especially now it's cold. We huddle in the one room and warm that with the fire. Very few fumes in the house and I don't think it annoys the neighbours either. It's too small to heat the house, but it does a great job with one room.

You can spot the houses nearby that have open files by the smoke coming out of their chimneys - this woodburner hardly has any smoke; I can't see any when I look in daylight.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Delivery of wood this morning cubic metre of very well seasoned olive, including lots of root (burns slow & hot), 80e delivered and stored for me.
Lena.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here