Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Irvine Welsh - The Bedroom Secrets of the Master Chefs

Having read Filth and Ecstasy recently, and starting this one, I think I am reading the definitive writer on all things geezer/violence/footy/drug taking/chavvy dimwit...

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The Uses Of Literacy- Richard Hoggart (1957)

Brilliant social commentary on life in the mid twentieth century. Very prophetic too, when talking of the onset of mass media in cultural influence.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Hunting Evil
About Suffolk Strangler Steve Wright.
No not the DJ !!!

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011

Having read Filth and Ecstasy recently, and starting this one, I think I am reading the definitive writer on all things geezer/violence/footy/drug taking/chavvy dimwit...[/QUOTE

Have you read the Acid House absolutely brilliant the best story in it is in Eurotrash creepy as **** !

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Pies and Prejudice In Search Of The North by Stuart Maconie

Not too bad but very skewed to the North as you would expect.

I enjoyed that book. He did a follow up called 'Adventures on the High Teas' a book about 'Middle England' -worth a read.

Coinicidentally I have just started to read his "The People's Songs - The Story Of Modern Britain in 50 songs". which is excellent, as are his other books. Also worth a read are the books from Mark Radcliffe, his D.J. 'ing partner in crime, which include a half decent novel set in the folk clubs of '60's Northern England, "Northern Sky".

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Last Bus To Woodstock by Colin Dexter

An inspector Morse book, they are a good read.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Broken Homes - Ben Aaronovitch

Book 4 in this Rivers of London series. Love his descriptions of the hidden layers of London. Gritty crime drama meets Harry Potter with a sprinkle of Peter Ackroyd.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Having read Filth and Ecstasy recently, and starting this one, I think I am reading the definitive writer on all things geezer/violence/footy/drug taking/chavvy dimwit...

He's doing the Brighton Festival again this year, on Sunday at the Old Market. Tickets only a tenner. Usually pretty entertaining.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I've just read Brighton Rock. No idea why it's taken me so long to get round to it but it's a marvellous, chilling, read. And there's nothing quite like reading a fictional story where you can envisage almost every single scene and location (even if it is set 80 years ago).

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

A brilliantly depressing tale of a man and his boy trying to make their way across post-nuclear holocaust America.

The Road is an incredible book, it's very dark though. You'd imagine that the horrible scenes would be worse when you see them in the film adaptation but personally I think they're reading about them was far worse. I remember feeling glum for the rest of the day after reading certain sections. Ha ha brilliant recommendation by me there, but it is seriously great.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here