Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Just finished My Booky Wook, Stupid title but a well written, insightful and interesting book (if you are interested in Russel Brand, otherwise it is just more of his crap)

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Going to sea in a sieve - Danny Baker Autobiography

bloody great fun

XYZ123

Mar 23, 2013
Currently PG Wodehouse - Righty Ho, Jeeves. Light intermittent reading from the master himself - there isn't anyone who comes close to Wodehouse.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
This Boy by Alan Johnson.

In an age where politicians all seem to be cut from the same cloth - here was an upbringing. Quite a lot of it by his sister mind. Finishes when he is eighteen - having worked since he was 15 - and married with an adopted daughter. These are not spoilers by the way.

So none of the politics.

"A Man Of No Consequence" by Sussex writer, singer and legend Bob Copper. Final part of his live story which fills in details of his (brief) military service, time with the West Sussex Police and his emergence as a chronicler of a bygone Sussex era that lasted for centuries but is now gone for good.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I've just finished Hatchet Job by Mark Kermode. Not as good as his previous but still very enjoyable with lots of good anecdotes, and stories about film-making and a good piece about what film criticism is nowadays

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Nearly finished this book by Annis Abraham Jnr and what a read. Gives great insight into the life of probably the most notorious fanatic Cardiff City football fan. I purchased it from his main website and the fella even signed it for me and a discount as well :)

414+Ruv3quL._.jpg

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
image.jpg
Why do you have to get passed their privileged background? That is what enabled them to take part in all these adventures and instilled in them duty, service and sacrifice, for our benefit and theirs.
Even today most of the adventurers dead and alive are from a similar background.
Anyway thanks for posting about this book, the research is amazing. I am only a couple of hundred pages in so far, and just found out that Rupert Brook, he of.........If I should die, think only this of me.... Died of sepsis due to being stung by a wasp, and his piece of foreign field is in Skyros a small Greek island.
Great book! Good value for money too, with 623 pages plus 25 pages of index.

The inequality of opportunity founded on inherited wealth & privilege and the work of others grates is all - 'twas ever thus. No particular issue with the individuals and their, sometimes astonishing, achievements but there were plenty with the same sense of duty, service and sacrifice that were back down mines at the same time. What a book though - my read of 2013 without doubt. Highly recommended.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Just finished The Fry Chronicles, which was good. Read Morrissey's Autobiograpy not long ago, which is interesting but is a study in writing well but not saying much! Now started Mad Man by Enrest, oh no, sorry, some bloke called Knight. Am looking forward to reading The Great Escaper, the story of Roger Bushell.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here