Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Just finishing The Winter Queen, an Erast Fandorin mystery, the first in fact, by Boris Akunin. Very good, not too heavy but full of historical points, set in Russia in 1800's Eract Fandorin is a young Russian Police Detective solving a rather puzzling suicide. Kind of a cross between Sherlock Holmes and James Bond. He travels from Russia across the globe, London undergworld etc. Really good, about to start the 2nd, Death on The Leviathon. An easy read for sure but very interesting and extremely well written.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Just finished "Shadows and Strongholds" by Elizabeth Chadwick and now reading "Portslade Village" by local historian, Judy Middleton.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Racketeer was the first Grisham I'd read. Just finished The Firm and am about to start Bourne Identity.

The Firm is such a good book, the film isn't bad at all but the editing ending is just dire. Have you read The Runaway Jury? That is one of the finest told stories I've ever read, everything knits together so well. The only problem with that is that it's very dated now. The Brethren is a really well told story too but my favourite Grisham is The Rainmaker. Fantastic story and the film is absolutely magnificent, Matt Damon is perfectly cast and so is Clare Danes. Brilliant film.

You're about to start reading Bourne Identity? Very wise. The first trilogy is easily the best of the 9. The following 6 written by Eric Van Lustbader lacked the depth and originality of the first three. Have you seen the film? It has nothing to do with the book at all after Bourne goes to the Gemeinshaft bank really. Crucially different.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Just read Live From Downing Street by Nick Robinson, a good read if you like politics.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
1365........Bernard Cornwell. Third or forth in a series written with a background of the wars in France. Knights and English Archers leading to the battle of Potiers, the lesser known one after Crecy. Standard Cornwell adventures written around factual history. Makes you want to buy a Longbow!

Next on my list!

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Just read Live From Downing Street by Nick Robinson, a good read if you like politics.

Got that for Christmas and just about to start it. My initial thought was that he can only tell you so much because he 's still in the job and wouldn't want to compromise his sources. Is that the case?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Got that for Christmas and just about to start it. My initial thought was that he can only tell you so much because he 's still in the job and wouldn't want to compromise his sources. Is that the case?

It is but he gives insight into the historical relationship between the government and journalists that is interesting. Not knowing how old you are but my first interest was as a kid and the Falklands. That period to the end of Blair is very interesting. The later stuff is as expected candid.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
It is but he gives insight into the historical relationship between the government and journalists that is interesting. Not knowing how old you are but my first interest was as a kid and the Falklands. That period to the end of Blair is very interesting. The later stuff is as expected candid.

I'm 39 - Falklands was about my first interest too. I've always liked Nick Robinson and Andrew Rawnsley as journalists with connections. They seem to have that ability to forge relationships while making excellent analysis and not compromising their integrity. Andrew Marr, though much maligned by many, was also excellent at that as a print journalist. Looking forward to it.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
just finished the second book in game of thrones, gonna read the hobbit before reading the third.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
My lad gave me Friday Night Lights by H.G. Bissinger - who spent a season following a Texan High School American football team. Definitely worth reading. Nothing like school sport here, thankfully.

I also read Parade's End by Ford Madox Ford. I did not see the TV serial - but the casting of the main character looked completely wrong. It was not an easy read - and is actually four books - but covered an interesting period and the change in society pre and post first world war. Madox Ford looked in interesting chap.

Happy reading in 2013 peeps.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Aeneid by Virgil.

Bloody hard going.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Well if you want a lighter read - another one just read is A Week in December by Sebastian Faulks. Goes along at a decent pace - and uses the helpful device of listing the main characters over two pages in the opening chapter. Nothing consequential mind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here