Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Berlin Noir

A compilation of the first three Bernie Gunther novels by Phillip Kerr. They are set in Nazi Germany before, during and after WWII and Bernie is a former policeman that becomes a private investigator when he gets fed up with what the Nazis are doing to his country. A cracking read and very well researched.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Perdido Street Station by China Miéville .... It falls into the "steam punk" category, which I have not entertained before.... It's not bad at all.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Ronnie Wood's autobiography, interesting but Keith Richard's is better.

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
I am bringing a Golden Retriever into our family at the end of this month so am reading Cesar's Way, the book by Cesar Millan of Dog Whisperer fame on the National Geographic channel. Very interesting and informative book. Also reading the RSPCA New Complete Dog Training Manual by Dr. Bruce Fogle

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Berlin Noir

A compilation of the first three Bernie Gunther novels by Phillip Kerr. They are set in Nazi Germany before, during and after WWII and Bernie is a former policeman that becomes a private investigator when he gets fed up with what the Nazis are doing to his country. A cracking read and very well researched.

I've read these and agree with you. The post-war Gunther novels are excellent too.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
The True Meaning of Smekday.

It's a weird sci-fi thing and to be honest I think it's meant to be a kid's book. However it's pretty good so far and the writing is much better than I was expecting.

Also nearly finished off the Scott Pilgrim series of comics, just got the final book to go.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Has anyone on here suceeding in reading this monster. A much lauded, but utterly impossible book. I'm on page 40 and thinking of giving up:

jesy.bmp

My son read it. I think it was hard work. I wasn't tempted - but I did see it listed as one of the classic modern Americal novels.

I have just finished FREEDOM by Jonthan Frantzen. That was bloomin' brilliant. A book I did not want to finish.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
My son read it. I think it was hard work. I wasn't tempted - but I did see it listed as one of the classic modern Americal novels.

I have just finished FREEDOM by Jonthan Frantzen. That was bloomin' brilliant. A book I did not want to finish.

Freedom was okay, although the hype ran away with it a little - good writing (ten years worth apparently) but an average story for my money.

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
Such good boys. Two sons strangle their mother then cut off her head and hands and dump her body over a cliff.

Non fiction.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Rubicon:Triumph and Tragedy of the Roman Republic.

Tom Holland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here