Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Cloudstreet - Tim Winton, for the second time, just to make sure I liked it as much as I remembered....

Last edited:

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Hemingway - For Whom the Bell Tolls

Can't wait to get onto Faulkner and some more Cormac McCarthy in the summer though.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Could I humbly suggest a small review / synopsis of the books people are reading when they post, would be good for recommendations etc.

I'm currently reading Monopoly, by Tim Moore http://www.amazon.co.uk/Do-Not-Pass-Go-Mayfair/dp/0099433869/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1308082811&sr=1-2

It's non-fiction as Tim tries to uncover the truth about the real places on the board, the inception of the game, and get's himself into some funny situations going out on fact finding missions. Some nice comic flourishes, although personally I prefer something a little more fast paced, but would recommend it to anyone with an interest in London or the game itself.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
JD Salinger's 'Seymour: an Introduction', the second novella in a double edition, the previous one being 'Raise High the Roof Beams, Carpenters.'

Quite a good read so far...

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Being Dead by Jim Crace. If you like his prose style you'll love this. A couple are found semi-clothed, murdered on a beach. In a couple of hundred pages Crace explores their relationship and how nature treats them in the six days it takes to find them. It's utterly engaging - more like a long poem. Beautiful descriptions of the smallest details.

If you like this (written in 199) you'll lvoe Gift of Stones too - the story of a stone age village and a bot who has to have his arm amputated. No uses knapping flint, he finds another way to survive - whilst the village is threatened by the coming of the bronze age. A poem really - short, beautiful and memorable. Highly recommend his stories.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Treason's Harbour, Patrick O'Brian.

How many have you read? If this is the first, stop, start with Master and Commander and work your way through the 20 odd series. Well worth while doing them from the beginning and in the order they were written. Brilliant writer.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I Do Not Come to You by Chance - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani

Bitter sweet comedy about a Nigerian 419 scammer. Written by a Nigerian and an excellent insight into Nigerian society and in particular the world of organised 419 scamming that certainly gets you thinking. Cracking read !

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Finally finished this book - highly recommended!

Just to remind everybody it is a fictionalised account of the turbulent 44 day reign of Brian Clough at Leeds United, a team he hated (...so what's new!). The Albion also feature as there are extensive flashbacks showing the events that shaped the life of this complex character.

..Hope the author (David Peace) does another volume covering the Forest years!

Saw the film. Not bad.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Just finished "Any Human Heart" by William Boyd which is very good about Logan Mountstuart and just started Willie John Mcbride biography which he signed for me as I was at a corporate lunch he attended last Friday.

How did it compare to the TV series?

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
JD Salinger's 'Seymour: an Introduction', the second novella in a double edition, the previous one being 'Raise High the Roof Beams, Carpenters.'

Quite a good read so far...
How does it compare to Catcher in the Rye?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here