Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Been reading The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, and just started on Huckleberry Finn, both free downloads from the Guttenberg website.

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
Have been reading C.J Sansom's masterpieces recently. Murder mysteries set in the time of Henry VIII, I have found them utterly gripping. I recommend reading No2 first ('Dark Fire') as the first one was far less exciting (and it matters very little if you read them chronologically or not). If you are interested in period history novels I reckon you'll like this one.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Strangers In Paradise, Pocket Books vol 1 to 6. Terry Moore.
Comics at the very best!

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Have been reading C.J Sansom's masterpieces recently. Murder mysteries set in the time of Henry VIII, I have found them utterly gripping. I recommend reading No2 first ('Dark Fire') as the first one was far less exciting (and it matters very little if you read them chronologically or not). If you are interested in period history novels I reckon you'll like this one.

Not read Dark Fire but enjoyed Soveriegn & Dissolution.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Read them all. It's mostly the local factor that makes them a good read.
Try Graham Hurley, does the same thing for Portsmouth (yes I know) but there is a bit more with the back stories and sub plots. You will enjoy them if you like Peter James. Up to date there are 10 of them, start with Turnstone, they are in an overall developing story.

Thanks for this skipper. I took your advice and bought Turnstone and I just finished reading it. It was an excellent piece of advice. I'm definately going to pick up other from the same series.

Cheers:clap:

Lush

Mods' Pet
I am reading Jeff in Venice, Death in Varanesi by Geoff Dyer, which today posed an interesting question.

If you are reading quite graphic sex scenes in fairly large print on a crowded commuter train, should you A) skip that bit and come back later B) carry on reading quietly, pausing only to mop your brow? C) shout "God Yeah That Was Good!" at the top of your voice?

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
To answer the question seriously, I've just finished reading 'Looking Good Dead' by Peter James.

It was absolutely BRILLIO and I'd recommend it to anyone. It's all set around Brighton and Hove which gives it an added appeal

Peter James has done 4 or 5 books now in the Roy Grace series, all with 'Dead' in the title.

They are all set in and around Brighton, and all are equally brilliant.

Well worth checking out.

wahoo

Banned
Oct 11, 2007
just finished jordans 4th autobiography , it was great with all the updates etc it even included a bit at the end with alex reid (her new fella) and i cant wait for her 5th to hit the shelfs,
lovely girl our katie

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

...although the first is set in Sussex (Rye to be precise). The author lives in Sussex too.

They're very good - there's supposed to be a TV series with Kenneth Branagh but that;s been talked about for some years and there's no sign so far.

I'm reading The Origins of the British by Stephen Oppenheimer. It's about where we all come from - and how few of us are Saxons: we're older immigrants than that.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I read Timeline by Michael Crichton, which was rubbish, so I've gone back to mr John Grisham and am now reading The Testament. Really intriguing start, and already (After 2 chapters) more interesting than Timeline.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The Tipping Point - Malcolm Gladwell

It is about change and understanding why change so often happens as quickly and as unexpectedly as it does. From murder rates in New York to the AIDS epidemic and what-have-you.

Quite good thus far.

...and Charlotte's Web :cry:

Last edited:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Robinson Crusoe.

Actually better than I expected!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here