Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I've just finished reading Dead Tomorrow by the brilliant Peter James.
I love his books, not least because of the local settings.

BUT I was disappointed in this book, not because of the book itself, but because the whole story was virtually given away in the synopsis on the back cover of the paperback. I recommend you read the book, but for God's sake don't read the back cover beforehand.

Good shout - and a good tip re the back cover too :clap:

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
On the Origin of the species - Charles Darwin, which, for some reason, I thought would all be about monkeys but is really all about racing pigeons!

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
'Overcoming depression' by Paul Gilbert.

600 pages to get through and goes very deep inside the mind. Tough to read at times but i've learnt a hell of a lot from it already.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Second Skin - Eric Lustbader

Tales From The Bootcamps - Steve Claridge

I'm about halfway through both, and have been reading them for over a year, but can't get motivated to finish either :facepalm:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Second Skin - Eric Lustbader

Tales From The Bootcamps - Steve Claridge

I'm about halfway through both, and have been reading them for over a year, but can't get motivated to finish either :facepalm:

Spunk Up Her, you're either dyslexic or they ain't the books for you! Shred the fuckers and get some decent reading material.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
"1000 years of annoying the French". If you like History, you'll love this book. Could not put it down and took me 4 days to read.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
0007324499.jpg

this , and very good it is too - also reading Wardys as well at the moment

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Antone doing the city books thing with From Russia with love?. Think its a great idea.

What?

City Reads is an annual citywide reading initiative conceived to spread a love of books and ideas to the widest possible audience throughout Brighton & Hove over a three-month period. The concept is simple: selecting one book by one author for the whole community to read, discuss, debate and creatively engage with in a series of special events, workshops and performances.

When?

City Reads launches on World Book Day and concludes during Brighton Festival at the end of May.

Where?

City Reads takes place across the whole of Brighton & Hove – in venues, concert halls, libraries, pubs, book shops …

Who?

City Reads is for everyone: whether you’re an occasional reader or a confirmed bibliophile. It doesn’t matter what you do, where you live or what you read: City Reads is about opening up the world of words and ideas to everyone.

How?

It couldn’t be simpler. The idea is to get the whole city reading and talking. All you need to do to get involved is pick up a copy from your local library, bookshop or book drop point and start reading …

The Read | Brighton City Reads

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
Currently reading 'Escobar' , The story of Colombian drug king Pablo Escobar and written by his brother. At the height of their dealing they were spending $2500.00 per month just on elastic bands to bundle up the money.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
To The Lighthouse, by Virginia Woolf.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Currently reading 'Escobar' , The story of Colombian drug king Pablo Escobar and written by his brother. At the height of their dealing they were spending $2500.00 per month just on elastic bands to bundle up the money.
Having watched Cocaine Cowboys, (More4 last week), not only do I believe that fact, I'm more surprised it's ONLY $2500.00.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh and The Last 10 Seconds, and more than good enough page turning, crime thriller, by Simon Kernick.

Totally given up on Peter James as there's now more back story than book.
If he removed the b/story he'd only have a pamphlet left.

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
Columbine by Dave Cullen. It's pretty good so far. Seems that the popular theory that the shooters were part of some larger disaffected Goth culture and that they targeted "Jocks" is wide of the mark. Also seems that one of them (Klebold) probably could have gone on to make something of his life without the influence of the other. Which is not to say that it paints a sympathetic picture of the gunmen. Quite thought provoking though.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Totally given up on Peter James as there's now more back story than book. If he removed the b/story he'd only have a pamphlet left.

Dunno, its the first time I've knowingly read any kind of crime novel, let alone a 600 page crime novel. Suppose like many others I got suckered in by the front cover of the West Pier local angle thing. Sort of vaguely knew how it was going to play out earlydoors, courtesy of the back cover, so I suppose it was a bit join-the-dots overall. But I found the end game genuinely moving,despite the far-fetchedness.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've read most of Peter James' stuff, right back to his occult days.
But the Roy Grace series has got progressively worse. To me it seems like he's now writing with more than half an eye on the forth coming tv series, by getting more and more mainstream.

The Kernick book, is also part of a series (which I haven't read) but didn't ram the back story down my throat, like James.
It was good to read a book in a few days opposed to the months it took me to read, my last book, In Cold Blood, by Trueman Capote.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here