Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
Gilead by Marilynne Robinson, a very spiritual book/also father son - stunningly beautifully written, one of those to enjoy a few pages at a time.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Going on the turn by Danny Baker. Enjoying it greatly.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Two weeks ago we were in Whitby and inspired by all the local connections, and never having read Dracula by Bram Stoker (or any other "classics") I bought a copy.

Its terrific. The language (1870s) is a bit hard to follow at times, but the story and the horror is really good. When I've finished it I'm going to look up a classic old movie version of this story. Perhaps Peter Cushing or Christopher Lee.

Are there any other classic novels that NSC would recommend?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
China Road - Rob Gifford

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Two weeks ago we were in Whitby and inspired by all the local connections, and never having read Dracula by Bram Stoker (or any other "classics") I bought a copy.

Its terrific. The language (1870s) is a bit hard to follow at times, but the story and the horror is really good. When I've finished it I'm going to look up a classic old movie version of this story. Perhaps Peter Cushing or Christopher Lee.

It's good isn't it?
Give Wuthering Heights a shot. Also, a bit of Hardy, Return of the Native or Mayor of Casterbridge.

Oh and Dickens. Great Expectations?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Try anything by Dickens. I found them a hard slog when I was young but have been reading them over the past few years and they're a great read. Pickwick Papers is very easy to get into and is the funniest but they're all well plotted with some comic moments in all of them.

Apart from that: Tom Jones is one of the most fiendishly plotted novels I've ever read ... but it all hangs together superbly. I'd also recomment Wilkie Collins' The Moonstone (one of the first detective novels) and The Woman in White, very atmospheric.

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
The stable boy of Auschwitz - Henry Oster
An autobiographical account of a Jewish boy's fight to survive the Holocaust.
Harrowing at times but ultimately uplifting.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Slow Trains Around Spain - Tom Chesshyre

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Who isn't a sucker for books based in Brighton town? Mr Amazon just brought me this 400 pager written by Martin Webb, co-founder of the C-Side Leisure Group of local pubs, clubs and restaurants. Did I mention that his co-co-founder sits in my row in the NS, along with his son? Nice lads. Anyways, back to the book: will report back in due course :thumbsup:

IMG_20230828_122518.jpg

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Where the Indus is Young - Dervla Murphy

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Dune - the sci fi fantasy books that they’ve started making films about.

I wasn’t too keen on the first film, although that was in part because of it being a Part 1, but the books are brilliantly written and thoroughly engaging.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Turning Back the Sun - Colin Thubron

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
An Island Parish - Nigel Farrell

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here