Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Adventures on the High Teas - Stuart Maconie. An investigation into 'Middle England' is basically what it is about but as usual Maconie rambles hither and thither.

Some of it is hilarious, some of it isn't, it is all interesting however.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Never Will I Die by Toby Gutteridge

24 year old SBS soldier shot through the neck in Afghanistan and rendered quadriplegic. Inspirational autobiography.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Mao. The Unknown Story. . Jung Chang and Jon Halliday. What a man. For what he did to his own people as bad as Hitler

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I'm revisiting "Our Game" by John Le Carré and also just starting 'The Children of Men", the end of the world novel by, of all people, by PD James!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Berlin Exchange - Joseph Kanon. A cold war thriller, he's as good in this genre as Alan Furst is in pre-war and wartime Europe

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
'Scotland - The Story Of A Nation' by Magnus Magnusson. 700 pages. It's slow going. I've only got as far as page 63 and 1047 A.D. At this rate, I suspect I'll probably be reading it for the rest of my life. So... for some light relief I'm revisiting 'Alan Rough - My Story: The Rough And The Smooth'. It's a story full of thrills and spills. But mainly spills :down:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
'Scotland - The Story Of A Nation' by Magnus Magnusson. 700 pages. It's slow going. I've only got as far as page 63 and 1047 A.D. At this rate, I suspect I'll probably be reading it for the rest of my life. So... for some light relief I'm revisiting 'Alan Rough - My Story: The Rough And The Smooth'. It's a story full of thrills and spills. But mainly spills :down:
I tried to read a similar book, but about Ireland. Ended up skimming thru' it and not actually retaining anything. Took up too much room on my shelf so it had to go.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
A Dead Hand - Paul Theroux

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
A Short History Of Tractors In Ukrainian - Marina Lewycka

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Graham Coxon’s just released ‘Verse, Chorus, Monster!’
A tale of anxiety, loneliness, low self esteem, alcoholism, and a love letter to Blighty, boot fairs, Kent the ‘garden of England’ and vintage Triumph motorbikes.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Terry Venables The Art of Management.

Clearly in any autobiography there’s going to be a degree of poetic licence, but he’s clearly sailed very close to the wind.

Whoever appointed him to the England job, had clearly been out for lunch that day.

Euro 1996 all well and good, but given his alleged rap sheet and what had already gone on at Spurs surely there were better suited candidates around at the time?

Howard Kendall for starters.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
Terry Venables The Art of Management.

Clearly in any autobiography there’s going to be a degree of poetic licence, but he’s clearly sailed very close to the wind.

Whoever appointed him to the England job, had clearly been out for lunch that day.

Euro 1996 all well and good, but given his alleged rap sheet and what had already gone on at Spurs surely there were better suited candidates around at the time?

Howard Kendall for starters.
And yet his England teams played some of the most exciting football I can recall from our national side. Mind you, some of the great players available to him helped a tad!

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
As for the book I’m currently reading, it’s Perfect Circle - The Story Of R.E.M. by Tony Fletcher.

Very insightful, particularly their early years and a band I knew very little about except for some classics in the late 80’s/early 90’s.

Fletcher also wrote a similar weighty tome about The Smiths, which is also a decent read.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
We Want Falmer.
About a bunch of lunatics who managed to get a football stadium built in the middle of the South Downs.
What memories and we owe them all a great debt.
Fantastic memories.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Peter Pan. Wendy has just been killed by one of the Lost Boys, aided and abetted by Tinkerbell. Not quite what I was expecting. 🫣

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here