Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
RE The Road - probably the grimmest, bleakest book Ive ever read. Very very good...but so traumatising, I refused to go and see the film when it came out. Kudos for going back and rereading!
I read that on holiday years ago. What a bad choice. Its an amazing book, but as you say the bleakest book I've ever read. There are chapters in that book that stay with you for days. It felt like I'd witnessed something terrible.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
"The Big Show" by Pierre Clostermann, it is the account of a Free French WW2 fighter pilot and his 420 operational sorties, really gripping stuff, if you like your WW2 history this is for you.

A great read, he also wrote Flames in the Sky - a history of WW2 Air Fighting from the Battle of France in 1940 through to the Japanese Kamikaze missions in August 1945.

Probably out of print now but worth searching for in 2nd hand bookshops.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Pipe Dreams, secret diaries of a neighbourhood plumber by Nicholas James.

@SIMMO SAYS you may enjoy this book, I can definitely relate to some of his stories of things that have happened working in customers homes.
I honestly think you could probably write a book like this with the help of @Wrong-Direction

Amazon product

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Pipe Dreams, secret diaries of a neighbourhood plumber by Nicholas James.

@SIMMO SAYS you may enjoy this book, I can definitely relate to some of his stories of things that have happened working in customers homes.
I honestly think you could probably write a book like this with the help of @Wrong-Direction

Amazon product

Ordered, I'll let Dad read it first

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Just finishing "Damascus Station" by David McCloskey. McCloskey is an ex CIA analyst and this is, I think, his first novel. Its ok. It was a fairly stodgy difficult read for the first 150 or so pages with just enough going on to keep you reading. It picks up thereafter and becomes a fast paced thriller although

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Just finishing "Damascus Station" by David McCloskey. McCloskey is an ex CIA analyst and this is, I think, his first novel. Its ok. It was a fairly stodgy difficult read for the first 150 or so pages with just enough going on to keep you reading. It picks up thereafter and becomes a fast paced thriller although
pressed the wrong button....
should continue to say "...a fast paced thriller although McCloskey's continual use of CIA acronyms and modus operandi assumes knowledge on the part of the reader that not many will possess.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
The latest Grace novel. Best one I’ve read for ages - half way through and can barely put it down. Not high literature I grant you but a brilliant read.

That's good to hear. I'm holding out on getting this one at the moment as I only read in Kindle ... mainly when I get into bed to help me drift off ... and when I'm awake at 3am and can't get back to sleep! But the Kindle version is still at £9.99 at the moment and more than the paperback!

I've read the other 17 - so until the price drops (probably when book 19 comes out in September) I'm making my way through the James Paterson 'Alex Cross' books. I'm only on Four Blind Mice at the moment - so lots to go!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The Kindness of Strangers - Kate Adie

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Bad Banks - Alex Brummer

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Lives Between The Lines: A Journey in Search of the Lost Levant Hardcover by Michael Vatikiotis

Interesting times, interesting places

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The Lost Heart Of Asia - Colin Thubron

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
"Codename Tricycle" by Russell Miller, it's the true story of Dusko Popov who was one of Britains most successful double agents in WW2. Fascinating stuff, thoroughly recommend it.

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021
The Dream of Europe: Travels in a Troubled Continent by Geert Mak

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Doctor Slaughter - Paul Theroux

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Merthyr Rising by Gwyn Williams. The story of the first stirrings of the trade union movement, the fight against armed troops (under the red flag, the first time it was used as a symbol of rebellion) and the unjust hanging of Dic Penderyn - all in the town where my family's from.

Ardderchog.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
When the Angels Come Calling by Tony Cooper. I'm older than Tony and I had 1 job, 1 wife and owned 3 homes in my life. Fair to say he blasted all those numbers out the water and I'm only on page 253 :lolol:

P.S. Just worked out I've had 15 cars. Bet he's had more than twice that number!

Last edited:

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
I'm reading this at the moment. While it's not a great work of literature. I think it's very readable and entertaining - almost a page turner at the moment.
Just read that and agree. I find myself wanting to ask random people if they are happy with what a piece of clothing "achieves for them". Very BM in the way it's written.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here