Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I'm just reading The Jealousy Man by Jo Nesbo. My word, it's a tough read! It's a collection of short stories in the style of Tales of the Unexpected. So much so, I would swear I saw at least one of them int the Roald Dahl series on TV. The title story is interminable and I couldn't finish it. I didn't finish another either. Three stories left to go which I'm determined to finish as the book was a gift. But it's just so derivative of the Roald Dahl stories which must have influenced him and he just isn't as good at the genre.
Just finished this interminable book. Don't waste your time or money or Audible time on it. I enjoyed Jo Nesbo's last full book, but this is like a cluster of dreary half baked ideas that he's top and tailed into short stories and pulled in to a collection. Thank goodness I've finished it and can shove it in the garage for the next boot sale. Some poor sod will give me a £1 for it thinking they've got a bargain, but I'll get the last laugh.

Meanwhile I've moved on to Nothing Ventured by Jeffrey Archer, the first of his William Warwick series. Hoping for better results.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Act of Oblivion by Robert Harris. I do like his books, they're tightly written and well researched. What's interesting about this one is that none of the main characters are particularly sympathetic -making it more fascinating than most thrillers.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The Call of the Weird - Louis Theroux

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Night of Fire - Colin Thubron

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The Family Arsenal - Paul Theroux

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Another vote for The Escape Artist. Saw a good documentary on their story a few years back, including recreations, highly recommended.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Middle England by Jonathan Coe.

It's the third book of the trilogy that began with The Rotters' Club: an examination of the events leading up to the referendum vote ... and the aftermath. Fewer comic moments than in the first book and rather heavy handed in its examination of Brexit politics, but some nice moments.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Against the Flow - Tom Fort

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What Just Happened ?! by Marina Hyde. A selection of her Guardian columns from 2016 onwards following the referendum vote (plus other big stories over the last 6 years). Hugely entertaining writer, satire at its best.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
More Than You Can Say - Paul Torday

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Icons of England - various short memories or thoughts of England edited by Bill Bryson

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Bad Land: An American Romance - Jonathan Raban

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Fresh-Air Fiend - Paul Theroux

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Golden Hill by Francis Spufford. An 18th century novel written in the 21st century - am enjoying it immensely

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
no-one has replied with "Spare" I thought there were queues down the street and shops selling out???

Im reading Mark Hollis: a Perfect Silence by Ben Wardle

Biography of the late talk talk singer.

but I did just smash though "The bullet that missed" the third Richard Osman book - very good indeed.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Matthew Perry autobiography. There’s addiction and there’s off-the-scale addiction like his. How he got through filming Friends is quite something.

Next up, Woody Woodmansey’s ‘My Life With Bowie’

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Dreaming of Jupiter - Ted Simon

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Our Friends in Beijing - John Simpson

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports