Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Little Town where Time Stood Still - Bohumil Hrabal

It's about a town whose simple minded inhabitants are struggling to cope with world that's changing before their eyes ... but it's not about Croydon

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
First Richard osmond one…Thursday murder club…gentle comedy and cracking good read which you don’t have to think about

Finished Ken Fosset’s NEVER on holiday. If you are at all nervous about what is happening in the world at the moment do NOT under any circumstances read this book. If you don’t care or just want a brilliant read, highly re commended!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Running in parallel the William Shaw series (Alex Cupidi) and the Jo Nesbo series (Harry Hole). Am 2/3 the way through the latter's "The Leopard". Not a big fan of cruelty and gory violence, and the latter just about keeps the narrative sufficiently fast moving to mitigate against the unpleasantness.

That's not exactly a ringing endorsement, is it? :lolol:

Both series, so far, are excellent and well worth the effort.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Snakecharmers In Texas - Clive James

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Matt Hilton - Dead Men’s Dust.
I have read most of the Jack Reacher books by Lee Child but haven’t enjoyed the last 2 I read now Child’s brother is also writing with him. I was given another Matt Hilton (Joe Hunter) book, I enjoyed this more than some of the Reacher books.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
India - VS Naipaul

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Mother Land - Paul Theroux

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Unforgiven by Aussie journalist, Ashley Gray. It's about the rebel West Indian cricketers who defied the sporting ban and toured SA in the 80s. They were paid staggering sums of money (for the time) but who have, in the main, suffered greatly for it.

A sobering tale

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
'The Other Side of Night' by Adam Hamdy.

Must say, started off slow but has gotten better and better. Eager to see how it ends.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Not Much of an Engineer by Sir Stanley Hooker.

Well he says that in the Title (it was a quote from his Boss at his initial interview) but he ended up as Chief Engineer at Rolls-Royce having put massive amounts of work into the Merlin as well as all the early jet engines, and then the Olympus (Vulcan and Concorde) and Pegasus (Harrier) as he approached retirement.

Was dragged back into harness by RR in the early 1970's to sort out the RB211 mess.

Fascinating book even if you are not interested in nimonic steels and thrust vectors.

Absolutely unforgivable we (well Labour actually) gave so much of RR's world beating jet technology to Russia, with predictable consequences...

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
As someone who would think averages 10/15 pages a day I am surprised how often the same names appear.on here. Some of you must spend a few hours a day reading

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
As someone who would think averages 10/15 pages a day I am surprised how often the same names appear.on here. Some of you must spend a few hours a day reading
It’s a constant battle against picking up a device instead, retraining the brain to be able to do this shit. Baths are a good way, reading a book in the bath. I always have to finish reading on a multiple of 10 due to low-level OCD, so page 30, 40, 50 etc. Sometimes I set myself a 50 page session, if the book grabs me I’ve been known to top 100 pages in one sitting.

That said, I don’t often post on this thread. :)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Sometimes 5 to 6 hours a day

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
Just finishing "El Rey del Cash" which is the current best seller here in Mexico. It's an insiders account of how the (completely honest/not corrupt - sic) current Mexican President funded his rise to power, by especially forcing gvt workers to surrender for years their wages (otherwise forget your career path/job) in return for a symbolic cash salary. Actually the corruption involved fairly par for the course here, what really comes through though is what a thoroughly nasty, power hungry, vengeful, authoritarian piece of work he actually is and how on earth so many have bought into his daily lies. Goebbels would be very proud of him!! Depressing read but then looking at what has been going on back in UK past months.......

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Fancied some boy’s own thriller fare so am about to tuck into True Believer by Jack Carr. The second book in the James Reece series. The first being The Terminal List.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
My daughter just passed me ‘One Step Too Far’ by Lisa Gardner, absolutely raving about it. 1.75 pages in and the quality of the writing is excellent.

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
Fancied some boy’s own thriller fare so am about to tuck into True Believer by Jack Carr. The second book in the James Reece series. The first being The Terminal List.
That series is fantastic. Another excellent series in a similar vein that I recommend if you have never read it is the "Gray Man' series by Mark Greaney.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here