Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I found Barbara Tuchman's 'The Guns of August' almost thebenchmark for thst period but surprisingly is now not considered so highly. Its still a very enjoyable book and one I often revisit on audio.

By coincidence, it's available on Amazon for 99p, so I've just downloaded it. Thanks for the recommendation

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
The F*ck it List by John Niven. Was saving it for going on holiday in July but need to find something else now! Enjoyed his Second Coming novel so thought I'd give this a go too.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Started Jane Eyre on a whim and thoroughly enjoying it. What a beautiful writing style Charlotte Bronte had.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Have you read Wuthering Heights? First time I read it I couldn't put it down and read the whole book all at once

Funnily enough I really struggled with it, just couldn't get into it, which is why I put off reading the other Bronte sisters for so long. My kindle bust the other week, which is why I had to pick up a proper book and Jane Eyre intrigued me the most.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
My reading has been mostly centred around Ukraine, Russia and totalitarianism recently.

Bloodlands by Timothy Snyder. Brutal account of the atrocities on the eastern front in WWII and the preceding period.

Between East and West by Anne Applebaum. Great insight into the people and history in the lands between Poland and Russia.

War of Eternity by Benjamin Teitelbaum. Fascinating insight into the philosophical and spiritual links between Steve Bannon and Andre Dugin, who has been called Putin's Rasputin.

Against the Modern World by Mark Sedgwick. A history of Traditionalist philosophy from its relatively benign begininngs through its connections with fascism to its adherents in the modern day.

The Road to Unfreedom by Timothy Snyder, which deconstructs Russian history and offers an idea of how we got where we are today with regard to Putinism.

Black Wind, White Snow by Charles Clover. Another look at Russian history, focusing on the rise of the new Nationalism.

Dangerous Minds by Ronald Beiner, which looks at the influence of Nietzsche and Heidegger's philosophy on the modern far right. Whilst I agreed with Beiner in the main, I found the book somewhat lacking stylistically.

The Age of the Strongman by Gideon Rachman. Starting with Putin as the archetypal modern demagogue, it traces the accession of numerous strongman-type leaders around the world. Boris even gets a chapter.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
"Brothers in Arms" by James Holland (He is often a military expert on WW2 documentaries)

It covers the highs and lows of a Tank Regiment (The Sherwood Rangers) from D-Day to VE-DAY.

Well wriiten. Well researched. He includes pictures of some of men involved in the tanks. Unfortunatley a lot didn't make it to VE-Day. With replacements, the regiment lost more than 100% of personnel that started on D-Day.

A good read for those interested in Military History. Recommended.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
How I Won the Yellow Jumper - Ned Boulting

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Erebus - Michael Palin

Recommended by others on NSC so bound to be good

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Have you read Wuthering Heights? First time I read it I couldn't put it down and read the whole book all at once

Wuthering Heights was one of my 'O' Level English Lit books ... along with The Merchant of Venice and The Nun's Priest's Tale (one of the Canterbury Tales).

I hated English Lit ... and I took an instant dislike to Kate Bush's 'Wuthering Heights' which was released just months before I took my exam ... although I did end up buying The Kick Inside on silver/grey coloured vinyl once I'd got the exam out of the way!!

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Wuthering Heights was one of my 'O' Level English Lit books ... along with The Merchant of Venice and The Nun's Priest's Tale (one of the Canterbury Tales).

I hated English Lit ... and I took an instant dislike to Kate Bush's 'Wuthering Heights' which was released just months before I took my exam ... although I did end up buying The Kick Inside on silver/grey coloured vinyl once I'd got the exam out of the way!!

Know what .... after my post I decided to re-read WHs, flicked through it and gave up ..... it's dreadful :lolol:

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Know what .... after my post I decided to re-read WHs, flicked through it and gave up ..... it's dreadful :lolol:

My wife read it back end of last year as she wanted to add a few 'classics' to her usual reading repertoire. When she finished it, she asked if I wanted to borrow it ... I just gave her a look!!

"OK" she said ... :D

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Deep South - Paul Theroux

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Going back through Fatty Batter, all useless cricketers should identify with it.

I could happily stroll out for the Baldwins and make a glorious 7 or so before a 16 year old rips out my off stump... :lolol:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
One More Kilometre and We're in the Showers - Tim Hilton

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
New Yorkers - Craig Taylor

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy