Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Churchill: Walking with Destiny by Andrew Roberts

Widely quoted as the best single-volume biography of Churchill yet written.

Certainly a Warts and All description. He made many mistakes - but his loathing of Fascism and conduct of the War overcomes it all.

Fascinating stuff, especially how close we came to folding (without him) in 1940...

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Churchill: Walking with Destiny by Andrew Roberts

Widely quoted as the best single-volume biography of Churchill yet written.

Certainly a Warts and All description. He made many mistakes - but his loathing of Fascism and conduct of the War overcomes it all.

Fascinating stuff, especially how close we came to folding (without him) in 1940...

Now Jakarta me old mucker, is it better than Martin Gilbert’s or Roy Jenkins, both of which I’ve read and at the time same was said. If so, might read a 3rd account. Do like Andrew Robert’s. Elegy, the 1st day of the Somme is a lump in the throat listen, got it on Audio.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Now Jakarta me old mucker, is it better than Martin Gilbert’s or Roy Jenkins, both of which I’ve read and at the time same was said. If so, might read a 3rd account. Do like Andrew Robert’s. Elegy, the 1st day of the Somme is a lump in the throat listen, got it on Audio.

As good as Gilberts and I would say better than the Roy Jenkins version. Certainly better than the Max Hastings 'Finest Years' WWII account.

You do have to get around Robert's right wing leanings as he clearly doesn't think much of Atlee, although he does state both he and Bevin were staunch support during the War.

Quite clear that Churchill was completely knackered (no surprise) by 1945 and a change in the country was needed and of course happened.

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
"I shall bear witness" The Diaries 1933-1941,by Victor Klemperer, it charts the rise of the Nazis and antisemitism in Germany from a Jewish point of view. Both fascinating and heartbreaking and very interesting, more so as my wife, Mrs.Wunt be Druv, is of German Jewish descent and many of her forebears died in the death camps, only her Grandmother and Great Aunt survived.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
As good as Gilberts and I would say better than the Roy Jenkins version. Certainly better than the Max Hastings 'Finest Years' WWII account.

You do have to get around Robert's right wing leanings as he clearly doesn't think much of Atlee, although he does state both he and Bevin were staunch support during the War.

Quite clear that Churchill was completely knackered (no surprise) by 1945 and a change in the country was needed and of course happened.

Thank you, will give it a go. I’ve got MH Finest Years which started earlier this year but didn’t get far into before picked something else up so need to go back to.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I've joined the library

Borrowed V2 by Robert Harris

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I've joined the library

Borrowed V2 by Robert Harris

Good for you, our libraries are under desperate threat, ESCC currently looking to make further closures and further reduce opening times of those they keep open. There is often very little need imho, to own a book. That said, the future of physical book libraries is potentially going to cede to an online ebook library in the near future.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Good for you, our libraries are under desperate threat, ESCC currently looking to make further closures and further reduce opening times of those they keep open. There is often very little need imho, to own a book. That said, the future of physical book libraries is potentially going to cede to an online ebook library in the near future.

The day that the last traditional library closes it's doors for the final time will be a sad day for society.

I can see it happening in the not too distant future though. :down:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Why the Dutch are Different - Ben Coates

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
All About Me by Mel Brooks.

I'm a huge Mel Brooks fan and this doesn't disappoint

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare - Giles Milton

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The Almost Nearly Perfect People (Behind the Myth of the Scandinavian Utopia) - Michael Booth

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The Train in Spain - Christopher Howse

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Dark Star Safari - Paul Theroux

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy