[Brighton] Western Road Redevelopment

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
FlzvHrnXwAE5wru.jpeg

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
something just realised is 18mth to do this. for half a mile of road thats a bloody long time to do not very much.
Yup. That's a constant mystery to me other than the fact that those working on the roads seem to have a very short working day. Where roadworks are necessary I don't understand why there isn't a requirement to work 12 hour days, seven days a week (in shifts of course) until the work is completed.

It is true that this is a bloody crap idea when businesses are really struggling and when Western Road is rapidly becoming the London Road of tomorrow. Unfortunately, local councils and their officers don't have much noddle.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'll wager the reason the area is looking rundown is because of the constant through traffic, as can be said for the rest of Brighton.
Anything being done to take cars out of the city has to be a good thing.
I don't think there is any through traffic on Western Road? I thought it was just buses and taxis for most of it. Could be wrong, on the odd occasion I go into central Brighton I never go past Churchill Square.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I find it insane that Brighton and Hove doesn't have any form of trams/metro/light rail going through the city (bar Volks Railway if we're being pedantic) and I think you're right regarding the buses at Churchill Square. It's a mess.
Very little foresight sadly. Well behind the curve of many cities around the world when it comes to public transport and pedestrianisation. Not just the city centre either re public transport/roads, but areas on the outskirts of the city boundary like Rottingdean/Woodingdean/Saltdean area. Big issues with traffic; nothing being done about it; houses continue to be built

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here