Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Vinyl records

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Exactly what I did . . .I've dumped a load of CD's as well. I have a few hundred to sell and about 70-80 vinyl albums to clear as well . . . . just sitting in the corner for the time being waiting for me to do somehging with them

In other news, I have been thinking about rebuilding my planar 3 into a nice plank of tree instead of the mdf or whatever its made of. . .

Keep me posted on that last bit... be very interesting if it works... I had a similar plan with speakers in mind but it gets complex so I shelved the idea as I don't have a workshop - you need one tbh and bloody good non-warping timber too!

Most TTs are MDF based as they are or were mass produced ... I seem to recall a 70s manufacturer (Sharp optonica) using a granite plinth... I mean talk about heavy man!

Rock on bro.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Real money is with first pressings but early copies of the ones you mention are worth more than you might expect. If you have the stickers and posters with DSOTM it’s a bonus.
Obviously Dylan and Beatles are popular but if you have copies of Never Mind the Bollocks or The Stones Roses, The Verve you will be quids in. First pressing of Electric Warrior is a winner too. If you have a copy of Hendrix’s Electric Ladyland with the nice ladies on the front I’ll stump up a tenner :)

I do have a copy of electric ladyland, but since it's been 30 years since I looked at any of them, I can't recall what the cover image is. I think I might my daughter to check em out and see which, if any, are worth anything more than a small amount

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Keep me posted on that last bit... be very interesting if it works... I had a similar plan with speakers in mind but it gets complex so I shelved the idea as I don't have a workshop - you need one tbh and bloody good non-warping timber too!

Most TTs are MDF based as they are or were mass produced ... I seem to recall a 70s manufacturer (Sharp optonica) using a granite plinth... I mean talk about heavy man!

Rock on bro.

Most of the after market Rega plintshs are birch ply and veneer

I do have a chunk of Tasmanian Huon Pine which is just about big enougfh and 40mm thick . . . . Also a slab of solid Iroko worksurface . . . . . both over 15 years old so stable!

speakers are probably best made from good quality ply or composite. I recently sold a pair of 1973 Tannoy monitor golds and they were ply. PMC twenty21's I have are composite.

I think you're into mortgage territory if you start looking at scooped out oak trees!

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Most of the after market Rega plintshs are birch ply and veneer

I do have a chunk of Tasmanian Huon Pine which is just about big enougfh and 40mm thick . . . . Also a slab of solid Iroko worksurface . . . . . both over 15 years old so stable!

speakers are probably best made from good quality ply or composite. I recently sold a pair of 1973 Tannoy monitor golds and they were ply. PMC twenty21's I have are composite.

I think you're into mortgage territory if you start looking at scooped out oak trees!

scooped out oak trees Indeed, preferably one planted by Elthelred the unready or some such King of yore, recently struck by lightening and whittled accordingly into a pair of smokin' (literally) speakers.

Yes; possibly an expensive option :lolol:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I do have a copy of electric ladyland, but since it's been 30 years since I looked at any of them, I can't recall what the cover image is. I think I might my daughter to check em out and see which, if any, are worth anything more than a small amount

el1.JPG

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
If anyone wants to shift vinyl/cd colllections please PM me. I have been collecting (and dealing) in vinyl for 30 years. I will match music magpie for cd collections and give good prices for vinyl.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
I have been rebuilding my vinyl collection but dont yet have anything to play it on.

Mrs Hantsseagull is none too impressed with me starting another thing to collect (or as she prefers to call it 'hoard') and so I am wary of going down the turntable, amp and speakers route at this point.

As a stopgap, I am considering a bluetooth turntable (as I already have a Bose bluetooth speaker for the TV) such as the Audio-Technica LP60XBT or Sony PSLX310BT. I understand the purists will be appalled but anyone got any views/suggestions? many thanks.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I have been rebuilding my vinyl collection but dont yet have anything to play it on.

Mrs Hantsseagull is none too impressed with me starting another thing to collect (or as she prefers to call it 'hoard') and so I am wary of going down the turntable, amp and speakers route at this point.

As a stopgap, I am considering a bluetooth turntable (as I already have a Bose bluetooth speaker for the TV) such as the Audio-Technica LP60XBT or Sony PSLX310BT. I understand the purists will be appalled but anyone got any views/suggestions? many thanks.

There are lot of options the Audio-Technica LP60 is a good entry level turntable, as a design it has been around for a long time. I got my daughter an Aiwa from the 90's as her first turntable, apart from the USB, Bluetooth connections it was the same as an LP60 and a good sounding turntable. Being fully automatic is a bonus if like me your eyesight is not the greatest and you have tendency doze off while play a record. The down side (or maybe upside) This turntable is what it is , you can replace the stylus and platter mat that is it. This turntable is also quite small so a bonus if you don't have much space

I don't know about other Bluetooth turntables. If you want to buy a turntable and don't want to have a lot of HiFi kit then look for one with a built in pre-amp you can then plug it in to any device that has an aux in port with an RCA to Aux adapter, something like this (https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-con...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl). Most portable speakers have an aux port.

If you go for the pre-amp option, the Audio-Technica LP3 (belt driven fully automatic) and LP120x (Direct drive, manual) are very good turntables. I have just noticed there is a Bluetooth option for the LP120x (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Tech...AiAAEgIfAPD_BwE&hvadid=447154008435&hvdev=c&h)

I don't think you can go wrong with any of these.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
There are lot of options the Audio-Technica LP60 is a good entry level turntable, as a design it has been around for a long time. I got my daughter an Aiwa from the 90's as her first turntable, apart from the USB, Bluetooth connections it was the same as an LP60 and a good sounding turntable. Being fully automatic is a bonus if like me your eyesight is not the greatest and you have tendency doze off while play a record. The down side (or maybe upside) This turntable is what it is , you can replace the stylus and platter mat that is it. This turntable is also quite small so a bonus if you don't have much space

I don't know about other Bluetooth turntables. If you want to buy a turntable and don't want to have a lot of HiFi kit then look for one with a built in pre-amp you can then plug it in to any device that has an aux in port with an RCA to Aux adapter, something like this (https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-con...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl). Most portable speakers have an aux port.

If you go for the pre-amp option, the Audio-Technica LP3 (belt driven fully automatic) and LP120x (Direct drive, manual) are very good turntables. I have just noticed there is a Bluetooth option for the LP120x (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Tech...AiAAEgIfAPD_BwE&hvadid=447154008435&hvdev=c&h)

I don't think you can go wrong with any of these.

many thanks - i will do some more research.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
My daughter’s friend was telling her she would like a record player, she does not have a lot of money, and no experience with turntables, so my daughter asked me if I could help. I bought this one on eBay that was sold as not working for £11 inc delivery so I thought it was worth a punt as I had some spares (belt and stylus) for this type of turntable.

I replaced the belt as it had come off and felt brittle, (this was all that was wrong with it) I also replaced the stylus. Also adjusted the speed for 45 and 33 rpm to be accurate, gave it a clean a polish. Very pleased with the result. Fully working and cute turntable. First 3 pictures as it was sold the next 3 once I had finished. Bought an RCA to Aux adapter as the turntable has a built in pre-amp so she can plug it directly into her Bluetooth speaker (aux port) will sound much better the a suitcase player.

Attachments

• 20AD1DC5-146E-4F96-B540-596F16E918E9.jpeg
    20AD1DC5-146E-4F96-B540-596F16E918E9.jpeg
    16.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 629EFD68-D830-4B34-80C7-82CCF1D605E9.jpeg
    629EFD68-D830-4B34-80C7-82CCF1D605E9.jpeg
    21 KB · Views: 59
  • 08D64AEF-A433-4939-B6DE-75C72BC93E21.jpeg
    08D64AEF-A433-4939-B6DE-75C72BC93E21.jpeg
    20 KB · Views: 57
  • CD235247-7BBF-4F16-A329-55A29D0DD992.jpeg
    CD235247-7BBF-4F16-A329-55A29D0DD992.jpeg
    21.1 KB · Views: 56
  • AE0BBC02-BE23-4D40-8713-976CF6994511.jpeg
    AE0BBC02-BE23-4D40-8713-976CF6994511.jpeg
    24.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 43613053-74CD-4D68-B923-5F678D8AAA82.jpeg
    43613053-74CD-4D68-B923-5F678D8AAA82.jpeg
    23.3 KB · Views: 61

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I found the first record player I got given for Christmas in 1979 on eBay. I pictured here next to a full-size turntable for scale.

It is a Mittoy MusicMaker and is direct drive record player that can play LP's and 7" records.

I remember 7 year old me being so amazed and pleased with it. I was not allowed to touch the main record player or my brothers and now I had my own to play music in my bedroom. I have to say I am surprised how well it still sounds, no issues with speed stability and a reasonable sound, much better than the current crop of suitcase players

1699881298679.png
1699881540646.png

1699881616828.png

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’d say about 80% of the 30-40 albums I buy a year are now vinyl.
I am now up to 100% of my albums apart from the Total Kompakt sampler which I still buy on CD every year. I buy more than 40 albums though. My Sacred Bones subscription yields around 12 alone.

I am really chuffed that there is a new Rough Trade opening to serve the EU nations right here in Berlin. Mail order is open now, shop to follow Q1 next year.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I found the first record player I got given for Christmas in 1979 on eBay. I pictured here next to a full-size turntable for scale.

It is a Mittoy MusicMaker and is direct drive record player that can play LP's and 7" records.

I remember 7 year old me being so amazed and pleased with it. I was not allowed to touch the main record player or my brothers and now I had my own to play music in my bedroom. I have to say I am surprised how well it still sounds, no issues with speed stability and a reasonable sound, much better than the current crop of suitcase players

View attachment 169767View attachment 169768

View attachment 169769
Looks fun!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Do you have a quality HiFi set up?

My Technics deck lasted 35 years (bought when I was in the 6th form), when it broke I bought a Rega Planar 1 … great sound. I’ve still got a cassette deck.
It’s good, nothing spectacular though. Project turntable, cheap Denon amp and Kef Q35 speakers. I had planned to upgrade when we moved into the new apartment but for various reasons haven’t done so yet. I have my heart set on a Clearaudio concept turntable.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

View attachment 169767View attachment 169768

View attachment 169769
But not a first issue of The Dark Side Of The Moon being played.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Do you have a quality HiFi set up?

My Technics deck lasted 35 years (bought when I was in the 6th form), when it broke I bought a Rega Planar 1 … great sound. I’ve still got a cassette deck.
Regarding cassettes I have accumulated quite a collection as Sacred Bones provide a mixtape with every album sent via their subscription service. I bought a little tape player to listen to them.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It’s good, nothing spectacular though. Project turntable, cheap Denon amp and Kef Q35 speakers. I had planned to upgrade when we moved into the new apartment but for various reasons haven’t done so yet. I have my heart set on a Clearaudio concept.

Project, aren’t they high end? I like the idea of the Project Debut Pro. Clearaudio Concept look simplistically beautiful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here