Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Valentín Barco **Signed 20/01/24**

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
He'll be an excellent signing but I don't think we're signing him primarily as a left sided player.

Pervis is untouchable as our first choice LB, and we play inverted wingers. Mitoma is right footed, as is Adingra, whose preferred position is on the left wing.

I think Barco will initially offer cover for Mitoma and Adingra in the short term. Then once they return he will cover Solly's absence on the right.

Eventually, when Mitoma moves on in the summer, Adingra will switch to the left wing and Barco will make the right his own.

He's a typical Brighton succession plan.
I would expect Pervis to be our most in demand transfer target in the summer transfer window.
He's oven ready and one of the most effective left-sided defenders in the Premier League. There isn't a team in the Premier League that doesn't become stronger with Pervis in it.
In the summer window once two or three teams start bidding for Pervis I expect him to be another £50m player that allows us to keep buying players like Barco.
More importantly, we also have to keep demonstrating that we have a pathway for the young talented players to move on to bigger clubs and receive mega salaries otherwise we don't get them to join us in the first place.

Many (not most) supporters and pundits don't seem to understand our business model and think we should keep players like Caicedo and Mac Allister. But without demonstrating that our pathway has gates that open at both ends of the young players journeys we don't get them to join us in the first place.

kelvinnewman

Aug 17, 2023
I would expect Pervis to be our most in demand transfer target in the summer transfer window.
He's oven ready and one of the most effective left-sided defenders in the Premier League. There isn't a team in the Premier League that doesn't become stronger with Pervis in it.
In the summer window once two or three teams start bidding for Pervis I expect him to be another £50m player that allows us to keep buying players like Barco.
More importantly, we also have to keep demonstrating that we have a pathway for the young talented players to move on to bigger clubs and receive mega salaries otherwise we don't get them to join us in the first place.

Many (not most) supporters and pundits don't seem to understand our business model and think we should keep players like Caicedo and Mac Allister. But without demonstrating that our pathway has gates that open at both ends of the young players journeys we don't get them to join us in the first place.
Fully get what your saying but while Mac and MC felt like they’d always move one, feels like Pervis and Mitoma might hang around longer for a reason I can’t quite put my finger on.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Fully get what your saying but while Mac and MC felt like they’d always move one, feels like Pervis and Mitoma might hang around longer for a reason I can’t quite put my finger on.
I hope you're right. Mitoma has a whiff of Codnor about him ( no not the recreational habits) He's educated/inrtelligent, fotball is fun but not everything. . . He'll have plenty of options when he hangs up his boots and they won't necessarily be just dribbling!

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
He'll be an excellent signing but I don't think we're signing him primarily as a left sided player.

Pervis is untouchable as our first choice LB, and we play inverted wingers. Mitoma is right footed, as is Adingra, whose preferred position is on the left wing.

I think Barco will initially offer cover for Mitoma and Adingra in the short term. Then once they return he will cover Solly's absence on the right.

Eventually, when Mitoma moves on in the summer, Adingra will switch to the left wing and Barco will make the right his own.

I think we’re signing Hoki Koky for that role, aren’t we?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I didnt just rely on Bubble though - I looked at a number of sources and a picture was building that Barco had agreed personal terms (and has have given Boca until Tuesday to accept the transfer terms or he would activate the release clause ) - that’s been a major sticking point since our approach in the summer so I would say we have seemingly got this over the line.
We’ll see ….

Btw Last week I was castigated for saying there wasn’t enough substance to a dodgy rumour from only one gossip rag that justified posters saying saying ‘we were in’ because of something Riquelm said - posters agreed not only ‘in ‘ with Barco but another teammate too - in fact they were relying on far far less substance than I relied on here and no one accused them of not using reliable sources ( apart from me ) - seems you can’t win on NSC these days 🙄

Don't be so sensitive, Zeb. You said the Bubble was reliable so I was just saying how he works for the benefit of anyone that wasn't sure about his MO.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

I'm intrigued as to what makes you think we'd use him on the right? Everything I've seen seems to make pretty clear that he plays exclusively on the left.

If, as you suggest, he is a succession plan, it would be for either Pervis or Mitoma IMO.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
One of his pictures, frequently shared on twitter, always reminds me of Walter Kovacs from the Watchmen graphic novel.

ValentinKovacs.jpg

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I also think we might lose Pervis this summer which is why it’s so important that we get Barco over the line.
I expect Liverpool will want him to replace the injury prone Robertson.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I'm intrigued as to what makes you think we'd use him on the right? Everything I've seen seems to make pretty clear that he plays exclusively on the left.

If, as you suggest, he is a succession plan, it would be for either Pervis or Mitoma IMO.
I don't think it would be that surprising under RDZ. He likes wide men who can come inside. He's clearly a player with huge potential and can probably play in a number of positions.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
This is a very, very exciting signing. The suggestion is this kid is generational.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
This transfer - according to the credible reporting - is pretty much done. There’s real journalists - not the kids making stuff up - confirming it with sources from Boca ,, Albion and the player left right and centre. Ignore one of them if you want (and they are certainly reliable as well) but the days of having to wait for the scarf pic are largely over (unless you want to !).
agree with this, but the (slight) possibility of a gazumping should not be ruled out.
Our reputation for identifying talent, and the increasing lack of secrecy on our main targets, could leave this risk more open than we would like.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Respectfully, I think it's the blue and white tinted glasses.

Neither have any special prior connection to the club and will want to play the highest level football for the most money possible.

We just have to hope they behave like Mac Allister and not Sanchez.

I see it the same as the previous poster, Estupinan is our most likely sale in the summer, especially if Mitoma and Ferguson continue with their patchy form. There just aren't that many great left backs around.

Adingra covers loss of Mitoma. Barco covers Estupinan.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Neither have any special prior connection to the club and will want to play the highest level football for the most money possible.

I see it the same as the previous poster, Estupinan is our most likely sale in the summer, especially if Mitoma and Ferguson continue with their patchy form. There just aren't that many great left backs around.

Nothing yet to suggest Adingra covers Mitoma as much as there isn't to suggest Baleba covers Caicedo.

That said Mitoma has gone off the boil slightly which may help us retaining him.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

I think the big difference is that we are now at a stage where de Zerbi, is arguably our most valuable asset
He has been making overtures that the club policy of buy-develop-sell won't inspire him to stay.

Estupinan and Mitoma are two of his most over-used players.
Not selling them next season, may well be the sweetener required to keep him.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Nothing yet to suggest Adingra covers Mitoma as much as there isn't to suggest Baleba covers Caicedo.

That said Mitoma has gone off the boil slightly which may help us retaining him.
Adingra was arguably our most dangerous player consistently before his injury and, despite doing that mostly from the right, has mostly played (in his career) on the left.
Also important to remind everyone Barco has often played as a genuine left winger (almost a left sided forward) for Boca this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here