Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Valentín Barco **Signed 20/01/24**

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Guess if being knocked out means he’s more likely to come, we can cheer him on for a Shane Duffy 2 own goals and a red card in order to put off the other teams.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
IMG_2143.png

0-0 at home first leg. Played upfront alongside Cavani according to this. Top rated player for Boca. Seems to be quite Bale-esq positionally?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Where are we with this? Has Citeh or Juventus outbid us?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Where are we with this? Has Citeh or Juventus outbid us?

Man City still seems to be the front runners. Simon Jones in the Mail claims today that they are going to "HIJACK" our deal "ahead of competition from Juve and Chelsea".

No quotes from anyone or flights being tracked yet though.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Man City still seems to be the front runners. Simon Jones in the Mail claims today that they are going to "HIJACK" our deal "ahead of competition from Juve and Chelsea".

More than half the clubs in the PL could hijack any of our deals if the player just wants money though, not just teams like City and Chelsea. No wonder we stay tight lipped about targets.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
More than half the clubs in the PL could hijack any of our deals if the player just wants money though, not just teams like City and Chelsea. No wonder we stay tight lipped about targets.
I’d say around 75% no wonder we like to do things on the quiet .

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Thanks!

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

very true on both counts - but once a bid has been made by us, is it even possible to keep that under the radar? My ‘hope’ is we still have pulling power for young players looking for a development opportunity with a top half PL Club (the Big 7 can’t always slot these targets straight into a starting XI ) - that and having a fine rep for being well run club, including the rep of RDZ himself who is proving to be a draw all makes us still a very competitive choice in a way other clubs might not be - but still frustrating when they just follow the money 😕

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Well, we need a LB IMHO. Not heard any alternative names…

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
Everyone is going on about needing a LB - and I agree we are light in the interest of rotation and potential injury to Pervis. But shouldn't the absolute priority be to get a RB as we currently have no true RB that RDZ truly trusts?

FWIW I rate both Veltman and Lamptey, and of course the likes of Milner and Gross can fill in there if required, but none are in Pervis' league and it says it all that we are using utility players to fill the gap rather than players dedicated to playing that position.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Everyone is going on about needing a LB - and I agree we are light in the interest of rotation and potential injury to Pervis. But shouldn't the absolute priority be to get a RB as we currently have no true RB that RDZ truly trusts?

FWIW I rate both Veltman and Lamptey, and of course the likes of Milner and Gross can fill in there if required, but none are in Pervis' league and it says it all that we are using utility players to fill the gap rather than players dedicated to playing that position.

I agree with you completely, yet the club haven’t made this position a priority (as far as we know)

Three possibilities:

1. RDZ is happy with his options (even if we’re nervous)

2. The club is quietly working away on something.

3. We had a couple of youth players make cameos last season, could they be more involved this season?

No idea which option is correct, or even if there’s an option 4, but in the club we trust, even if in this case it’s with a bit of trepidation.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

No.

RDZ does not play with a symmetrical team.

The LB position is in effect, a box-to-box winger. The RB position is as a false right back. The player is required to tuck in further up the pitch and play right midfield when we are in possession (80% of the time against West Ham). This is why Veltman and Lamptey find it tough to get minutes.

If you want an Estupińan style right back, you are essentially asking RDZ to change his style and tactics. I suppose that if we had a left footed playmaker (Baleba perhaps) then he could switch to a false LB and the RB would become the box to box winger?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here