[Albion] Undav

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
All these cheap punts add up to what could of been a decent signing. Undav was a way of getting money into Union why would Potter every request a slow lump of a CF? 100% a Bloom signing.

definitely

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Agreed. And took the easy way out by bringing someone in from your sister club , but a player I doubt anyone else was interested in

Bollocks. Top scorer in Belgium with 26 goals. Unless you're over 30, it means you're going to play in a top 3 league.

Since 2010:
Lukaku - bloke is a little bit overrated but would do a job in most clubs
Perisic - been around, now in Spurs
Perbet - went to Villarreal and scored 10 goals in 26 games, not bad in La Liga
Bacca - went on to score 50 or so goals in Serie A and about 100 in La Liga
Harboui - was 30+
Mitrovic - playing for Fulham as you might know
Teodorczyk - moved to Udinese (where he sucked, but point remains)
Mbokani - well over 30 at this point but had previously scored half a dozen goals for Norwich in the PL
Onuachu - still in Belgium but likely we'll see him somewhere at some point
Undav - playing for Brighton

Obviously there's interest in a player who scores 26 goals for a newly promoted team in Belgium.

To be fair I don’t mind taking a relatively cheap punt (for a striker anyway) on someone who has scored 30 odd goals in a season in a top division. There were other sides interested from memory (although not PL ones). As it turns out he doesn’t look up to the pace of the PL. Win some and lose some.

He shouldn’t have been the sum of our striker recruitment this summer in particular though given how much money we had through the door.

Based on 17 minutes? Trossard, Gross, Caicedo and a few others really didn't look up to the pace of the PL for the first 17 minutes yesterday. You think that is a reasonable number of minutes to make a judgement of a player?

As for money through the door - the last two years the club had a total deficit of about £120m - not like the club is bathing in cash.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You just need to look at the half decent strikers we’ve signed in the later Amex era & PL to see the ones that did ok pretty much played immediately - the ones not so good got put in cup competitions and odd minutes from the bench.

Baffling that we sold Maupay who was at least good for 8-10 PL goals a season - for a strike-force who combined have 0 goals between them after 8 games.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You just need to look at the half decent strikers we’ve signed in the later Amex era & PL to see the ones that did ok pretty much played immediately - the ones not so good got put in cup competitions and odd minutes from the bench.

Baffling that we sold Maupay who was at least good for 8-10 PL goals a season - for a strike-force who combined have 0 goals between them after 8 games.

Danny Welbeck has been excellent :shrug:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not quite . You , to be fair , wondered why he hasn’t been a sub (he has), wondered why he hasn’t had some gametime (he has), and then wasn’t sure if he’s scored against Forest Green Rovers (he had).
Similar, not the same!

I know the team's been playing well, but I'm still slightly concerned at how few minutes he's had (other than the very few minutes he has had, of course!) for the 1st. team (it was pretty much the reserves/youth at FGR after all).

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Similar, not the same!

I know the team's been playing well, but I'm still slightly concerned at how few minutes he's had (other than the very few minutes he has had, of course!) for the 1st. team (it was pretty much the reserves/youth at FGR after all).

Who would you have dropped / subbed / not played to give him minutes ? In what games ? Hardly a surprise that we’ve had unchanged teams so why the surprise that’s he not had a lot game time.
Welbeck ? Mitoma ? Trossard ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Who would you have dropped / subbed / not played to give him minutes ? In what games ? Hardly a surprise that we’ve had unchanged teams so why the surprise that’s he not had a lot game time.
Welbeck ? Mitoma ? Trossard ?
Who said anything about starting? I don't need to say who I might or might not have taken off to bring him on as a sub at any given time in any match. I'll just point out that we brought on four subs yesterday when we were chasing the game and needing a goal, but our Denis, the only striker on the bench, wasn't one of them - and I'll just leave it there!

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Sorry exactly which ‘gilt edge’ chances did Welbeck miss yesterday?

As for Ferguson being good with his head, I’d agree but we’ll never find out because we NEVER cross the bloody thing.

boik

All these cheap punts add up to what could of been a decent signing. Undav was a way of getting money into Union why would Potter every request a slow lump of a CF? 100% a Bloom signing.

Ah, the old decent signing. Every signing is a risk, we've been round this loop so many times. We'd have creamed ourselves if we'd broke the bank and signed Darwin Nunez. There's probably as much chance that Undav will score as Nunez will, but at least we haven't wasted a truckload of money on a non-scoring "decent striker".

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Its quite clear right now that although DW is not scoring the goals, he definitely helps our style of play, and brings others into the attack. In games without him last season we were utterly toothless and predictable. Playing Undav either means dropping Welbeck, and an overall change of style, or him playing instead of Tross or Gross who both have been decent. So not surprised Undav hasn't started games. I am however surprised he has not seen more minutes coming off the bench. I would have preferred him on for the last 5/10 last night instead of Gilmour.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
At the moment De Zerbi arrived, all he really knew of our squad was from video of the games, Undav will have been pretty unknown. Give him a few weeks to get to know his players.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Ah, the old decent signing. Every signing is a risk, we've been round this loop so many times. We'd have creamed ourselves if we'd broke the bank and signed Darwin Nunez. There's probably as much chance that Undav will score as Nunez will, but at least we haven't wasted a truckload of money on a non-scoring "decent striker".
Undav never plays two games now we’ve needed a goal and he’s not been in two managers thoughts. People keep saying we struggle against the low block teams, it’s because we don’t have the quality to score when we finally create an opportunity, Welbeck’s second half chance a quality striker scores there.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Undav never plays two games now we’ve needed a goal and he’s not been in two managers thoughts. People keep saying we struggle against the low block teams, it’s because we don’t have the quality to score when we finally create an opportunity, Welbeck’s second half chance a quality striker scores there.

Harry Kane missed a similar if not better chance...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Who said anything about starting? I don't need to say who I might or might not have taken off to bring him on as a sub at any given time in any match. I'll just point out that we brought on four subs yesterday when we were chasing the game and needing a goal, but our Denis, the only striker on the bench, wasn't one of them - and I'll just leave it there!

You don’t need to say anything! But given we can’t play with 12 or 13 men then interested in the different choices you would have made to give him these minutes .. So I guess - yesterday you would have taken off Trossard or Welbeck on 70 mins . Fair enough. I suppose RDZ thought keeping em on and using Mitoma was a better option to get the equaliser. Nearly worked as well. But hey!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You don’t need to say anything! But given we can’t play with 12 or 13 men then interested in the different choices you would have made to give him these minutes .. So I guess - yesterday you would have taken off Trossard or Welbeck on 70 mins . Fair enough. I suppose RDZ thought keeping em on and using Mitoma was a better option to get the equaliser. Nearly worked as well. But hey!
You're being very obtuse (and you don't like giving up!) RdZ brought on four substitutes - could have brought on a fifth - but opted not to. He could have brought on Undav instead of any one of the four subs he used, but he didn't. I can't quote how many subs we've used, or how many minutes they've played in total - but 17 minutes in eight games for Undav suggests that as yet he is not the first name that comes to mind when looking to change things up.
That is my point - I do not have to specify who he should have replaced or at how many minutes in to prove my general point!

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Unless your down watching training then none of us really knows if he is any good. Let’s be fair we have had a really settled team this season with little rotation or injuries so there a few players we haven’t seen much of - 9 players have started all games. After yesterdays game I’d like to see more of Mitoma and Lallana but to do that means dropping players and I think changing formation

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Unless your down watching training then none of us really knows if he is any good. Let’s be fair we have had a really settled team this season with little rotation or injuries so there a few players we haven’t seen much of - 9 players have started all games. After yesterdays game I’d like to see more of Mitoma and Lallana but to do that means dropping players and I think changing formation

It was good to see Mitoma come on for the last part of the game and inject some much needed pace and stretch Spurs tiring defenders. However what was the point in introducing Lallana? He is golod at what he does as a defensive midfielder, but we were trying to unlock the oppostion defence, it wasn't his sort of game at all.

We also made two fujrther substitutions in the 86th minute, why? there is precious little that anyone can do to change anything in 4 minutes!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We ended the match with The Lana, March and Welbeck on the pitch.

I don't think goals were high on Bob The Demolisher's list of priorities.

Affy

Silent Assassin
Aug 16, 2019
Sussex by the Sea
Welbeck is but frustrating for me at the moment. His overall game is excellent and his hold up play and passes are very good but he doesn’t seem to have the confidence he had up to the Leicester game and his finishing seems a bit erratic. I certainly wouldn’t want to drop him but I would like to see some more of Enciso and Undav and Ferguson in the last quarter of the game. But I’m not a PL manager by any stretch and I’m certain there are reasons. Mitoma is an exciting prospect and I suspect a long term replacement for Trossard.
Given the 3 games in 8 days coming up, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Trossard start up top with Mitoma in Trossard role.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Prior to Mitoma coming on, whilst warming up in front of us he was summoned back to the bench and came back to warm up in full kit (training toon over the top) before coming on.

Undav and Sarmiento both followed this process around 80 minutes and joined lamptey who was in full training gear, however ended up being subbed on.

I was expecting to see Undav as a result but obviously something changed I the game

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports