Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em 40/1
Only Fools & Horses 5/1
Blackadder 8/1
I'm Alan Partridge 20/1
The Mighty Boosh 33/1
The Thick Of It 33/1
Red Dwarf 25/1
Porridge 10/1
Never even heard of Spaced, Breeders, Nathan Barley… No After Life? I saw it mentioned a few times early on, I thought.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The shortlisting and nomination process was flawed. Imagine for the football World Cup, FIFA just announced one morning, "Right, the first 32 nominations get in". Nothing to do with quality, just need two random enthusiasts for qualification. First come, first served. You should have had a long list to start with, then invited people to vote for their top 10, then taken the top 32 from the results. If I sound bitter, I am a bit. It’s all totally subjective of course. I always found Inside No. 9 to be quite unpleasantly dark, and a long way from being a comedy. OTOH, no Monty Python, probably the most groundbreaking, influential comedy of the last 50 years.
Like qualifying for major tournaments, it’s never going to be perfectly fair.

Even with your idea, I would be hounded for missing out certain people’s favourites from the long list.

Also, I don’t want too much voting to happen at this point, as this will give too clearly a final intention as to likely winners/top sides.

An element of unpredictability is always good for a tournament, IMO.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Like qualifying for major tournaments, it’s never going to be perfectly fair.

Even with your idea, I would be hounded for missing out certain people’s favourites from the long list.

Also, I don’t want too much voting to happen at this point, as this will give too clearly a final intention as to likely winners/top sides.

An element of unpredictability is always good for a tournament, IMO.

Having done the WHC I can confirm there is NOTHING you can do that won't cause controversy. NSC World cups are passionate sports played by passionate people and that leads to a lot of arguing, moaning and in the case of honey badger fans crying like little girls when they lose to a shrimp.

The shortlisting and nomination process was flawed. Imagine for the football World Cup, FIFA just announced one morning, "Right, the first 32 nominations get in". Nothing to do with quality, just need two random enthusiasts for qualification. First come, first served. You should have had a long list to start with, then invited people to vote for their top 10, then taken the top 32 from the results. If I sound bitter, I am a bit. It’s all totally subjective of course. I always found Inside No. 9 to be quite unpleasantly dark, and a long way from being a comedy. OTOH, no Monty Python, probably the most groundbreaking, influential comedy of the last 50 years.
New to NSC? Nominating and seconding are the time honoured way of sorting out competitors in these kind of tournaments.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Every nomination should also have been supported by a full explanation of the reasons for the nomination :laugh:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Python
Phoenix Nights
Father Ted
Count Arthur Strong
Steptoe and son

Hard to leave out Milligan and Porridge.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
All the more reason to randomly change which programmes are competing without telling or consulting anybody.
? Nothing random about it.

Shows that were nominated and seconded qualified, and I did this in the order of people posting.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Apologies if these have been picked:

Extras
Look Around You
Shooting Stars (does this count?)
Harry Hills TV Burp (Does this count?)
That Mitchell and Webb Look
Peep Show
The Trip

medwayseagull reborn

Oct 12, 2022
Sit coms v sketch based shows v quiz shows v anything else not covered in those categories is a chalk and cheese problem. Might have been better to split into categories.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
? Nothing random about it.

Shows that were nominated and seconded qualified, and I did this in the order of people posting.
That was a suggestion, not an accusation.

I was joking.

Startling though it may be to regular readers of my contributions to this board, I am capable of reading other people's posts.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That was a suggestion, not an accusation.

I was joking.

Startling though it may be to regular readers of my contributions to this board, I am capable of reading other people's posts.
Apologies.

As @Garry Nelson's Left Foot suggested, running anything like this always leads to some unique moans.

Also, given that nominations are STILL occurring :lol: it seems plenty aren't as capable as you at reading.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sit coms v sketch based shows v quiz shows v anything else not covered in those categories is a chalk and cheese problem. Might have been better to split into categories.
Had considered that. The danger there is that there are plenty of shows that aren't 100% one thing or another - it would lead to more arguments.

Sitcoms tend to be the bread and butter of these tournaments.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here