Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Turkish referee punched to the ground by club president

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Maybe he was a complete bellend?
How much of a bellend do you have to be to be seriously physically assaulted after trying to do your job?

We've seen some shitehouse performances and decisions from referees in the past, but none of the behaviour would be enough to force me to run onto the pitch and smack the guy around the chops (or kick him while he was on the floor). Pretty sure there's no justification for doing that, regardless of what the ref has said/done.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I personally feel the club should be relegated for that. Assault charges should follow for the president and any of the players also involved.

As much as we get frustrated by refs (myself included) this is unacceptable and the strongest sanctions should be applied.

The two attackers should receive life bans from football. If the owner was one of the attackers, he should be given x months to sell his interest, not to family/associates.

wealdgull

NSC Patron
Dec 7, 2017
I personally feel the club should be relegated for that. Assault charges should follow for the president and any of the players also involved.

As much as we get frustrated by refs (myself included) this is unacceptable and the strongest sanctions should be applied.
Not relegated; removed.

I know that football is all big business now, but it's still just two sets of people coming together on a field to kick a ball around. If one of those sets of people physically attack others, totally outside of the game itself (where emotions may run high but you still rarely see anything of that magnitude due to the impact it would have on the game being played), why should they be involved any more? Just say "no thank you" and send them on their way.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Even through the course of just this season it feels like we no longer accept a single referee decision - against us.

There might be 1 or 2 seriously contentious decisions in a game, but now we seem to think there's one every 5 minutes, that's played out in front of 'Welcome To MaCarthy & Stone'.
Assuming it's 1000x worse in the land of 'Welcome To Hell' this was as inevitable as it currently pissing down with rain.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I agree with those saying that a criminal offence has been committed and i'd hope that an unprovoked assault like this will result in jail time.

There should also be a strong sporting sanction. Relegation seems the most appropriate punishment.

But more widely this should be a line in the sand moment for football. It's tempting to blast the authorities and yes they should do more the support officials. But what about your role in this? What about mine? I must have sung "the referees a ****** about 300 times in my life" "the ref has got a tenner on the game, about a 100 and I admit I've screamed complete bile after a decision has gone, not the way I'd want it.

Ok, this is a world away from actually twatting a ref, which i'd clearly never do. But like most violence, it doesn't happen in a vacuum. People have to feel empowered to do it, Violence is more likely when the subject of that violence has been degraded and dehumanised. It's more likely when the surrounding environment is one of macho anger and when everything you read online backs up your furious reaction.

With the amount that people's set esteem seems to now be tied together to the fortunes of their football team, consider. What if something even worse happens one day?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
As the poster above said, I think expulsion would be more of a statement than relegation. That and full backing for criminal prosecution from their FA/government (well, “President”).

A terrible precedent as a former grass roots ref. Never was struck but think it got pretty close. Now the bloody club President is running on the pitch walloping a referee in the head. Then players kick him while he is down (arguably even more disgusting). What kind of example does that set?

For the good of football, expulsion and criminal charges are the only right message to send.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Only a matter of time till some clown that his hyped up by the bile and nonsense spouted by Klopp/Arteta and the idiots that cry corruption do this to a ref in the UK

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Even through the course of just this season it feels like we no longer accept a single referee decision - against us.

There might be 1 or 2 seriously contentious decisions in a game, but now we seem to think there's one every 5 minutes, that's played out in front of 'Welcome To MaCarthy & Stone'.
Assuming it's 1000x worse in the land of 'Welcome To Hell' this was as inevitable as it currently pissing down with rain.

Abuse of officials is getting worse at all levels of the game.
Whilst in a completely different League to being punched and kicked to the floor. I feel that many of our chants about referee and Linesman are totally out of order. Three or four rows behind me there is a group who seem to believe any attack against us is offside any tackle against us is a foul. They are very vocal in their abuse of linesman and ref. Normally drawing a laugh from those around them.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
100% this. I posted on the thread announcing the officials for the Brentford game (where the pile-on had started even before the match, ffs) that ref-baiting has become utterly toxic. Just in the past few weeks there have been pages and pages of posts about Dunk's red card, the Wissa thing, the Brentford penalty, the ball being kicked away / not kicked away prior to a free kick and countless other incidents. The inability to accept a ref's decision, the inability to accept that the ref may miss something or make an error, the constant referencing back to similar but different events in other matches that resulted in a different decision - it's all just completely corrosive.

99% of 'game-changing' mistakes are made by players and most supporters piling into the officials wouldn't last five minutes as a ref, even at non-league level. Refs are there simply to ensure a game of football can take place and they need our support. I wouldn't blame them if they just walked away and said, "f*** it - just get on with yourselves, then." I would.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
How much of a bellend do you have to be to be seriously physically assaulted after trying to do your job?

We've seen some shitehouse performances and decisions from referees in the past, but none of the behaviour would be enough to force me to run onto the pitch and smack the guy around the chops (or kick him while he was on the floor). Pretty sure there's no justification for doing that, regardless of what the ref has said/done.

Relax I was referring to Dunky vs. Anthony Taylor.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Shocking behavior!

Match officials shouldn't have to be concerned about physical abuse whilst doing their jobs

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Only a matter of time till some clown that his hyped up by the bile and nonsense spouted by Klopp/Arteta and the idiots that cry corruption do this to a ref in the UK
Crikey.

I am not a supporter of Arsenal or Liverpool, but I am quite relaxed by Clippety and Captain Black. What they blither on about in post match interviews is simply panto at worst, and 'sorry I wasn't listening' at best. 'Bile'? Gosh.

If you are contemplating the assault of another team's manager then it may be time to give your head a wobble, and make yourself a nice hot cup of tea and a lovely buttered scone* :shrug:

*pronounced to rhyme with 'gone'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here