Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Transfer Deadline Day - 1st September 2022

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Well here we are yet again, folks demanding or wishing for an incoming striker to replace Maupay or at least cover for previously injury plagued, but in form Welbeck, pundits up and down the country seem to suggest we are a striker away from pushing for a European place. Will we….

The signs are we are no closer to that elusive target man, so is the Scottish wonder kid at Chelsea the only target, even that seems highly unlikely anyway.

I do feel we urgently need cover for Welbeck myself and worry if he gets injured, just who can step forward….
Other than that, I think we are ok with the squad we have.

Bournemouth really need to spend to have any chance of staying in this league, as they look massively under equipped this season.
Forest have I think blown all their budget early, Newcastle might spend a bit more, other than that can’t see much else happening.
Possibly Ronaldo to Italy or his contract mutually terminated.

Anyway, let the day of hope, expectation & the usual disappointment, start eh.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Still think Man Utd need to spunk another £150m+ on a couple of random big name signings, chosen simply because they’re expensive and glamorous.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I suspect that it will be like all the other windows. We'll hope for a new striker, won't get one and muddle through to a satisfactory finish by the end of the season.

My hope is that we keep Caciedo, not sure we need the Scottish wonderkid (not really sure he is one either).

Maybe a left field signing and a south amercian wonder kid?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Don’t sign a striker, miss a hatful on Sunday imo

I reckon we’ll sign a player/players but none that will set the pulse racing, will be squad strengthening and not in the position us fans think we need it :shrug:

Quite happy with what we have in truth

BrightonLoyal

Apr 1, 2020
Sounds like we are going in with another bid for Billy Gilmour today, really hope we get him, cracking young player.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The only thing we did all transfer season in regards to the senior team is add Cucu's replacement and a young loanee.

People will say Mitoma and Tubby added but we signed them last season.

The squad as it is now is weaker than the one that finished off last season so well.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The main news I think will be Andone leaving if we have reached a compromise on partially paying up his contract.

We are no doubt in for a Welbeck clone but perhaps we'll end up a long way down our list or even will decide that there is no one available that fits.

Maybe we'll get Gilmour, maybe not. Personally I struggle to see this as a priority.

van Hecke to stay.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Very risky to put all our eggs in one basket with Welbeck, I can't see us signing a striker though and the usual line of 'there was no one available who was a good fit' will be trotted out. But with Potter's clear lack of faith in Undav at this stage, if we don't sign a striker some questions will need to be asked about why we let Maupay go.

Hope I'm wrong mind and we have a useful 11th hour striker signing lined up!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Very risky to put all our eggs in one basket with Welbeck, I can't see us signing a striker though and the usual line of 'there was no one available who was a good fit' will be trotted out. But with Potter's clear lack of faith in Undav at this stage, if we don't sign a striker some questions will need to be asked about why we let Maupay go.

This is the major concern on everyone's mind clearly, Undav maybe need time to get up to the speed of the league, just like many have who have come here (Trossard for example) but we cannot afford for that to happen really now Neal has gone and we are reliant on yes an inform Welbeck, but we are one injury away from panic on the streets of Brighton, panic on the streets of Hove, Musclecomb, Hanover and Five Ways, I wonder to myself could we survive with no firepower...

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
The good thing about this season is that if we do have a problem with Welbeck we do not have has many games until the next transfer window opens. If we sign the elusive striker then is a different thing. I really hope we do not send out van Hecke or Ferguson on loan they are needed as cover.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Forget all this twenty goal a season striker stuff. With Harland around it needs to be 50 a season, presuming he has a lean spell. Nine goals in 5 games!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The only thing we did all transfer season in regards to the senior team is add Cucu's replacement and a young loanee.

The squad as it is now is weaker than the one that finished off last season so well.

Good to see that weakness doesn't show in the table. Or in the results so far... :moo:

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

And that's why we're only fourth (4th) in the league.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

I think we let Maupay go because Potter considers him striker 3, and in fairness Neal is too good for that and we did not stand in his way. Whilst Undav has yet to set the world alight Potter feels he has more to offer over the season than Neal.

We should be looking to add a new striker 3 in the Welbeck mould, I think this achievable. It doesn’t need to be a big name just a solid player. Given the way we use Welbeck to bring in other players the guy doesn’t even have to be that prolific at scoring.

Still as with all transfer deadline days I will not be holding my breath, other than this position I am happy with the squad

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I think we let Maupay go because Potter considers him striker 3, and in fairness Neal is too good for that and we did not stand in his way. Whilst Undav has yet to set the world alight Potter feels he has more to offer over the season than Neal.

We should be looking to add a new striker 3 in the Welbeck mould, I think this achievable. It doesn’t need to be a big name just a solid player. Given the way we use Welbeck to bring in other players the guy doesn’t even have to be that prolific at scoring.

Still as with all transfer deadline days I will not be holding my breath, other than this position I am happy with the squad

I agree with you completely. But with Welbeck's injury record, if he were to get injured within the next 5 games, we're relying upon Undav who doesn't seem up to speed or a false 9 - which let's face it didn't work out well against Fulham. In my view Maupay should have been kept until January if we aren't going to sign another striker. Don't think we'd have struggled to sell him if we'd have waited, given the number of other clubs sniffing around.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
We need Musa Barrow in. Will score ten a season, been used to a tough league playing in Italy, has pace, height, and mobility. Can be the Welbeck back up or play left of a front three.
Gilmour would be handy although see him as a back up to AliMac / Caicedo. If that one becomes difficult I can see us backing away from it as we have Alzate.
Would like us to get the Chilean kid in so we keep the pipeline going.
However for me, Barrow is the key one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here