Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
My bad.

The location may be wrong but perhaps the implication of the intention (tax avoidance) is accurate.

DMGT is owned by Rothermere Continuation Limited who are registered in Jersey where the corporation tax (for those businesses that are exempt) is a whopping 0%. How much tax are they paying?
I suspect it is more complicated than that. They would still be liable to tax on operations that arise from the UK. The HQ of DMGT is in London.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
This is a random meme from the internet.

A quick look at DMGT's annual reports show that they have a registration in the UK and do indeed pay tax.

'Even if you don't agree with a newspaper, don't allow miss-truths to be told on the internet about it'

Abraham Lincoln
I hope for that guy’s sake it’s also a random haircut and not his own

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I suspect it is more complicated than that. They would still be liable to tax on operations that arise from the UK. The HQ of DMGT is in London.
Perhaps.

It’s normal for global corporations to ensure that their UK business are loss making in order to avoid corporation tax on profits here. But your main point I agree with. It’s complicated. It shouldn’t be because complexity gives rise to loop holes.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Perhaps.

It’s normal for global corporations to ensure that their UK business are loss making in order to avoid corporation tax on profits here. But your main point I agree with. It’s complicated. It shouldn’t be because complexity gives rise to loop holes.
Well, I'm glad we've finished that discussion. I don't enjoying protecting any integrity the Daily Mail has. It's like saying Peter Sutcliffe always called his Mum each week.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Obviously pinch of salt but she’s definitely bringing them down with her

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Obviously pinch of salt but she’s definitely bringing them down with her

Crikey ! that's a pretty risky strategy for Mone, just remember what happened to the last famous British crooked boss who had a yacht ... Mr Maxwell.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Interesting day for the crooked and corrupt Tory government, we have Michelle Mone with her latest revelations and Penny Mordaunt revealling that her WhatsApp messages with Johnson seem to have disappeared and that it is not down to her ...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Interesting day for the crooked and corrupt Tory government, we have Michelle Mone with her latest revelations and Penny Mordaunt revealling that her WhatsApp messages with Johnson seem to have disappeared and that it is not down to her ...
Which can only be because he’s been “Delete For All” clicking, an intentional act and likely perverting the course of justice

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Their inability to cope with the technology of the 21st century, has me wondering if...

...I'm actually The Minister of Transport.
If they emailed me of my appointment, I'm unlikely to have read it.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
This ignorant woman thinks junior doctors aren’t qualified! The Tories are desperate if they have to use her as a Health Secretary. 6 weeks in post but knows nothing.

This will be the Health Secretary who has been in place for 6 weeks or 'just another f***ing useless trainee minister scraped from the bottom of the barrel' as I prefer to call her :facepalm:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
This ignorant woman thinks junior doctors aren’t qualified! The Tories are desperate if they have to use her as a Health Secretary. 6 weeks in post but knows nothing.

She was interviewed on R4 this morning. Shocking performance. Has no grip on her brief. Totally out of her depth. The nasty party has resorted to scraping the bottom of the barrel now.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
"Junior Doctors or Doctors in training as I prefer to call them" - Victoria Atkins, Health Secretary in training.

That's just a ham-fisted attempt to downgrade the role of junior doctors, to control their wage costs.

Six weeks in, and she's already made her first cock-up. She's got potential.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
"Junior Doctors or Doctors in training as I prefer to call them" - Victoria Atkins, Health Secretary in training.

That's just a ham-fisted attempt to downgrade the role of junior doctors, to control their wage costs.

Australia is calling remember and they pay a shit load more

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Indeed. You rarely see a consultant these days unless you have a major health issue and a major decision is needed. The doctors you see routinely are all 'junior'. Weasel words from another shill.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Australia is calling remember and they pay a shit load more
Ditto Canada. One of my 'junior doctor' colleagues (who did 4 years' of research in my lab) moved to Victoria some years ago. In his 30s, married with kids, and close to divorce in the UK owing to the hours he was putting in and the relative lack of income. He had to move to save everything, and was bitter and angry about it. We have been losing good people for at least a decade thanks to 'austerity'.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ditto Canada. One of my 'junior doctor' colleagues (who did 4 years' of research in my lab) moved to Victoria some years ago. In his 30s, married with kids, and close to divorce in the UK owing to the hours he was putting in and the relative lack of income. He had to move to save everything, and was bitter and angry about it. We have been losing good people for at least a decade thanks to 'austerity'.
Yet, I still see ignorant racists saying they can't get an appointment or have to wait hours for an ambulance because we have too many 'illegals'.
I always reply you are more likely to be treated by an immigrant than be in queue behind them. Our own trained medical staff are moving out as soon as they can for a decent life. :rolleyes:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So much damage, I despair with the brain drain and the government disasterous trade deal with now richer countries don't help

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here