Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The concept was a lie. We were told asylum was to be processed in Rwanda when it was no such thing. A one way ticket to a country with a dubious human rights record.
Yes but what are labour going to do about it?

(If I ever here someone actually say that I may have to be 'held back')

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Yes but what are labour going to do about it?
(If I ever here someone actually say that I may have to be 'held back')
The Tories' tactic for the next year or so will not be to defend their record (because it is indefensible except to the most blinkered Gammons or Daily Mail readers), but to spread lies, misinformation and scare-stories about what a Labour government will do.

Expect an endless stream of Tory tabloid headline stories about "Labour's secret plans to slaughter the First Born/make it compulsory to be transgender/compel all householders to fly the Palestinian flag in their front garden/replace the word History with Herstory/ban meat from restaurant menus, etc.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
And this is where I will never get how someone can "have" a political party.

If someone now said "I'm tory", you'd just have to say "but......HOW?"

It's not like having a football team where you support them no matter the chaos. The whole point of politics is you pick the best team. It's actively asking you to be a glory hunter.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I can't really help you in the former either, but it's frustrating because it should have been able to work. Of course the Tories are going way too far now trying to force it through by smashing international law, but the overall concept made sense.
Rwanda is/was never going to work unless the Tories included restoring legal routes to claim asylum in the UK *and* having a working agreement with France to intercept and return boats to France. You can't try to copy the Australian system if you don't also learn from the mistakes Australia made while trying to get their system working.

I fear what's going to happen is that the people smugglers will begin looking for alternative, more dangerous, crossing routes where they can claim that they'll get people in without being detected. As long as they can dangle a carrot of "the only way to get to the UK is with us" it will continue.

If the Tories genuinely want to stop the boats, there needs to be legal routes for applying from outside the UK.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
In their quest to turn the whole nation into gammon.
If only it was the ‘gammon’. Mainstream tv uses the phrase regularly so it is now in the national pschye, like a catchphrase.
How do Labour or anyone else convince the nation that it is legal to claim asylum?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
A couple of articles, the first from the BBC, that may help with the legal arguments:

'An astounding level of hypocrisy'

'The Rwanda Bill and its constitutional implications'

This is a tough read, so go down to the very last sentence.

'....the Rwanda Bill, and the policy to which it seeks to give effect, is ultimately a smoke-and-mirrors exercise that promises something which, as a matter of legal fact, it simply cannot deliver.'

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A couple of articles, the first from the BBC, that may help with the legal arguments:

'....the Rwanda Bill, and the policy to which it seeks to give effect, is ultimately a smoke-and-mirrors exercise that promises something which, as a matter of legal fact, it simply cannot deliver.'
Besides all the money going to Rwanda (and people want to stop Foreign Aid?), millions have been wasted on legal fees.
All taxpayers money.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If only it was the ‘gammon’. Mainstream tv uses the phrase regularly so it is now in the national pschye, like a catchphrase.
How do Labour or anyone else convince the nation that it is legal to claim asylum?
I made the mistake of discussing politics with the person who does some cleaning for me, last week. I commented on the draconian regulations that are making my nice Chinese and Indian 'overseas' students (who pay annual fees of £15,000 plus) apply for visas every year. Because the marks come out late, they can't have their application assessed till it is clear they have progressed. So they are having to leave the country, reapply for a visa, and then find it isn't granted till after the start of the next term. They then return late, sometimes with nowhere to live, and some are getting stressed and depressed, needing counselling and extensions for the ongoing deadlines. And making huge amounts of extra work for staff like me who have to create new assessments and spend time managing individual cases. I can see them voting with their feet when this all becomes common knowledge back home.

So, all my cleaner had to say was "well they all bring their families don't they".

None to my knowledge. And given they are all minted and paying massive fees, so what if they did?

My cleaner appears to have a picture of anyone coming here as some sort of Muslim terrorist with a massive entourage of hungry criminal spongers in tow.

And people wonder why we have a shortage of doctors and nurses. I waited 3 months for surgery a couple of years ago. I need the same op again and am waiting a year now, and have just been told I have to do my pre-assessment again because my original is now out of date.

Still, when they start sending the spongers to Rwanda it will all improve, won't it.

:shootself

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

The tories know this, which is why Sue Ellen and her gang want us to rip up all our commitments to international law, and join Russia and North Korea as pariah nations, governing by decree.

You get the feeling that if one of their own got done for drink driving they would seek to change the law so that it is not legal to prosecute a drunk tory. It really is 'this level' cockwomblery, now.

Burn them. BURN them.

Burn them.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Besides all the money going to Rwanda (and people want to stop Foreign Aid?), millions have been wasted on legal fees.
All taxpayers money.
Absolutely.

If I could be so inclined, I would keep a real time list of costs, including the time wasted by MPs, researchers, analysts, Parliamentary time, departmental time etc.

And then I would ask The Taxpayers' Alliance, why there isn't anything on their blog about this obscene waste of public money.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I made the mistake of discussing politics with the person who does some cleaning for me, last week. I commented on the draconian regulations that are making my nice Chinese and Indian 'overseas' students (who pay annual fees of £15,000 plus) apply for visas every year. Because the marks come out late, they can't have their application assessed till it is clear they have progressed. So they are having to leave the country, reapply for a visa, and then find it isn't granted till after the start of the next term. They then return late, sometimes with nowhere to live, and some are getting stressed and depressed, needing counselling and extensions for the ongoing deadlines. And making huge amounts of extra work for staff like me who have to create new assessments and spend time managing individual cases. I can see them voting with their feet when this all becomes common knowledge back home.

So, all my cleaner had to say was "well they all bring their families don't they".

None to my knowledge. And given they are all minted and paying massive fees, so what if they did?

My cleaner appears to have a picture of anyone coming here as some sort of Muslim terrorist with a massive entourage of hungry criminal spongers in tow.

And people wonder why we have a shortage of doctors and nurses. I waited 3 months for surgery a couple of years ago. I need the same op again and am waiting a year now, and have just been told I have to do my pre-assessment again because my original is now out of date.

Still, when they start sending the spongers to Rwanda it will all improve, won't it.

:shootself
I know only too well, unfortunately. We had a Chinese student living with us for three years, and my son’s ex did the marketing for Manchester, and then Nottingham Uni.
It was the Tories who included students in the immigration figures to artificially inflate the figures.
Lies upon lies upon lies.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Absolutely.

If I could be so inclined, I would keep a real time list of costs, including the time wasted by MPs, researchers, analysts, Parliamentary time, departmental time etc.

And then I would ask The Taxpayers' Alliance, why there isn't anything on their blog about this obscene waste of public money.

The Tax Payers Alliance, based at Tufton Street. Say no more.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
It's going to be a toxic build up to the general election....

... I wonder if she can sue for the use of her picture without permission? (Assuming she didn't give permission)
I suspect she's embarrassed enough by the picture in the first place - she won't want to draw yet further attention to it...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here