Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
‘Totally ignore all and any advice given to them.’
Not strictly true, Watford, or did I imagine lockdowns, masks, social distancing, closure of businesses, schools, etc.?
You don’t have to exaggerate to make clear your low regard for this Government. Plenty of people agree with you, including me.😁

Personally, I believe (and as the COVID enquiry is proving on a daily basis), that those measures, when eventually forced, were more about saving their position in power than saving the nation. There was that famous Friday night lockdown leak by either Sunak, Hancock or Gove because they knew that by Saturday morning Carrie would have reversed it.

But I know we that agree on far more than we disagree on :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not strictly true, Watford, or did I imagine lockdowns, masks, social distancing, closure of businesses, schools, etc.?
You don’t have to exaggerate to make clear your low regard for this Government. Plenty of people agree with you, including me.
PS. I’m not sure the country ever decided we no longer needed experts. By the way, cast your mind back to the 2019 election , the choice was between Johnson and Corbyn, neither the ideal candidate for PM. Just imagine if Corbyn had been PM , he could have employed his nutty brother Piers as a Covid adviser. That would have ended well, wouldn’t it!😁
Yes but every time, Johnson waited a week to implement action. That started with flights, 'banned from some time next week' through to the 'lockdown' itself.

Johnson was a ditherer who is famously described by a civil servant (recent inquiry) as someone who would listen to 12 bits of advice and go with whatever was said last (because that's all he could remember).

It think that totally ignoring all the critical advice (i.e., to do X now) is a fair assessment.

I also wonder who thought that locking people in care homes and allowing minimum wage staff (in particular outsourced cleaners) to circulate between care homes was anything other than sentencing old people to death. I am not saying it was deliberate, certainly not. But it was gross incompetence, with a bunch of absolute wrong-uns, especially Johnson and Handoncock 'leading', people who saw the whole thing as a narcissistic adventure and an opportunity for 'rebalancing' tax payers' money into the pockets of cronies, while scoping around for another shag.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Yes but every time, Johnson waited a week to implement action. That started with flights, 'banned from some time next week' through to the 'lockdown' itself.

Johnson was a ditherer who is famously described by a civil servant (recent inquiry) as someone who would listen to 12 bits of advice and go with whatever was said last (because that's all he could remember).

It think that totally ignoring all the critical advice (i.e., to do X now) is a fair assessment.

I also wonder who thought that locking people in care homes and allowing minimum wage staff (in particular outsourced cleaners) to circulate between care homes was anything other than sentencing old people to death. I am not saying it was deliberate, certainly not. But it was gross incompetence, with a bunch of absolute wrong-uns, especially Johnson and Handoncock 'leading', people who saw the whole thing as a narcissistic adventure and an opportunity for 'rebalancing' tax payers' money into the pockets of cronies, while scoping around for another shag.
I would not be surprised if someone in government saw it as an opportunity to reduce the pension burden, and get a windfall of inheritance tax payouts.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Yes but nobody on NSC is an elected politician.

(well, almost nobody).
Maybe not (thank f—k😁) but there are a lot of faux outrage merchants around the place.
I still can’t get too exercised about it. I am sure many of our elected politicians mutter all kinds of ‘horrible things’ under their breath all the time!😉
Talking about insults reminds me of Churchill’s retort to Nancy Astor or was it Bessie Braddock, involving drink and ugliness. Now that was class😁

Last edited:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Yes, of course Johnson and the Government made mistakes, but to say he ignored all the advice he was given is wrong.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes, of course Johnson and the Government made mistakes, but to say he ignored all the advice he was given is wrong.
I said he never acted immediately on advice that obviously required an immediate response, which is tantamount to ignoring it when you consider the consequences.

This is not a simply mistake, or judicious caution. It was phenotypical dithering, with catestrophic consequences.

You may have noticed I like an analogy. Imagine being advised that it is likely to shit down with rain for the next few days. Would it make sense to make a commitment to bring the laundry in off the washing line in a day or so? (This is a 'low impact' analogy after one I made the other day that invoked Adolf Hitler wasn't met with universal approval.)

Anyway, I don't think either of us have any time for Johnson so we don't really need to discuss what grade of **** he is :wink:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
His biggest 'mistake' was to tell such a torrent of lies that no one could ever trust his word or judgement..... apart from the terminally gullible of course. He behaved as if it was all a big game.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Maybe not (thank f—k😁) but there are a lot of faux outrage merchants around the place.
I still can’t get too exercised about it. I am sure many of our elected politicians mutter all kinds of ‘horrible things’ under their breath all the time!😉
Talking about insults reminds me of Churchill’s retort to Nancy Astor or was it Bessie Braddock, involving drink and ugliness. Now that was class😁
I suspect that you have a point. I wouldn't call the outrage faux, but the level of opprobrium will depend on one's initial disposition towards Johnson. I have to say that having followed his treacherous deceitful career and personal life for some time, I wasn't likely to ever give him the benefit of any doubt. It seems my judgement has proven to be correct, too.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Liar, liar, pants on fire!

Attachments

• IMG_6315.jpeg
    IMG_6315.jpeg
    863 KB · Views: 44

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Well, we were discussing Covid times and decisions that is why I made my remark re Johnson. As for Trussterfuk, thankfully, Mad Liz wasn’t around long enough to completely wreck the economy, but she did have a good go.
The main point I was making was that our elected representatives should be the decision makers and as I said in a previous post, they have to weigh up the bald advice given to them by the ‘boffins’ and set that against all the other factors involved……jobs, the economy, mental health, education, social cohesion etc. No easy task for a Government of any political colour. For instance, there are still discussions being had today about the closing down of schools which quite possibly caused more harm to the youngsters involved than Covid did.
i thought you meant there should be no enquirery, which i consider an odd viewpoint

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I said he never acted immediately on advice that obviously required an immediate response, which is tantamount to ignoring it when you consider the consequences.

This is not a simply mistake, or judicious caution. It was phenotypical dithering, with catestrophic consequences.

You may have noticed I like an analogy. Imagine being advised that it is likely to shit down with rain for the next few days. Would it make sense to make a commitment to bring the laundry in off the washing line in a day or so? (This is a 'low impact' analogy after one I made the other day that invoked Adolf Hitler wasn't met with universal approval.)

Anyway, I don't think either of us have any time for Johnson so we don't really need to discuss what grade of **** he is :wink:
Indeed, I have no time for Johnson, but whilst he was mainly engaged in writing newspaper columns, I didn’t take much notice of him. As London Mayor, he ap to spaffed cash on some vanity projects that bit the dust, but he was probably no more harmful than Ken Livingstone or Sadiq Khan, the latter mentioned, I cannot stand.
Yes, he is a high grade ****, on that we can agree.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I suspect that you have a point. I wouldn't call the outrage faux, but the level of opprobrium will depend on one's initial disposition towards Johnson. I have to say that having followed his treacherous deceitful career and personal life for some time, I wasn't likely to ever give him the benefit of any doubt. It seems my judgement has proven to be correct, too.
Actually, the above post of mine was in connection with James Cleverly”s shit house remark and nothing to do with Johnson.
Yes, I know Johnson is a shit house! 😁👍

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Is Stockton North a shit hole or not? I don’t know, I cannot recall ever going there.
Yes, whatever ‘Not so’ said, he shouldn’t have said it, but hey, shit hole shouldn’t come as too much of a shock to us NSC’ers, it is often used (or similar language) on here to describe places we’ve been to and grounds we don’t like.
I can’t get shock horrored about it I’m afraid.😁😉
Yeah., because an internet forum and the Houses of Parliament are almost identical places :lolol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You don’t have to exaggerate to make clear your low regard for this Government. Plenty of people agree with you, including me.
PS. I’m not sure the country ever decided we no longer needed experts. By the way, cast your mind back to the 2019 election , the choice was between Johnson and Corbyn, neither the ideal candidate for PM. Just imagine if Corbyn had been PM , he could have employed his nutty brother Piers as a Covid adviser. That would have ended well, wouldn’t it!😁
Whereas Penny Mordaunt, if elected as Tory leader, could employ her brother in child protection!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here