Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What a mess.

If you voted Tory you are an imbecile and let the country down.
I can't go that far. I have never voted Tory but unfortunately there is a rump of fairly normal people who held their nose and voted Johnson because they just did not trust Corbyn.

However, anyone voting Tory at the next election is quite simply a moron.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

All decent, intelligent, employers will ignore such things if they come to pass. But there’s a lot of bad employers out there.

And whoever does or doesn’t embrace such ridiculous backward steps in rights, the fact that they are no longer enshrined in law, well, that’s very worrying.

Braverman’s plan with the Rwanda solution was to get it outlawed in court and use that as an excuse to bin off the ECHR with the support of all the right wing electorate. Get them to support the scrapping of their own human rights under the guise of ridding our shores of foreigners.

As plans go, it’s up there with the burning of the Reichstag.

Despite her recent sacking she is still trying to rally support for this plan .

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sort of. But Corbyn was the main alternative at the time, so there is that mitigation.
And people who believed everything the press said about him. Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t like him, but the media went into overdrive on him.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
And people who believed everything the press said about him. Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t like him, but the media went into overdrive on him.
I agree with that, but why did Labour make this the choice? I mean he was easy meat for the Tory-backing media we have in this country. Plus there really were genuine concerns that a large part of the middle ground had with him. It was just dumb.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Brilliantly inept stuff. Starmer fumbles the punchline of a good "turn it off and on again" joke followed by Sunak sneering about it and then saying "people up and down the family"

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Imagine telling Winston Churchill than there would be a Tory Party deputy chairman who would essentially say "the law can f*** off, we want to do it anyway". He'd be horrified.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
During the case, the judges began discussing whether there were other British laws - meaning legislation passed by Parliament - that also bans the government from sending genuine refugees to Rwanda because of the risk they could be further returned to countries they have fled from.

And it concluded today there are three such laws. The legal importance of this is huge - but it arguably has an even greater political impact.

If the right-wing of the Conservative Party presses for the nuclear option of quitting the European Convention of Human Rights, it wouldn't solve the problem of Rwanda.

It's now absolutely clear that other British laws stand in their way too.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
As much as I don't think the man lives up to his name often enough, I do appreciate Cleverly today clearly separating himself from the Braverman / Patel hard-right approach to Home Office policy / rhetoric. The proof will be in what happens over the coming months, but it does sound like (for now) there will be a softening of approach with Cleverly.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
1700055783348.png

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Cleverly distancing the government from calls to leave the ECHR - this is good on two counts:

1. Because we clearly shouldn't be leaving it.
2. Because it'll fan the flames of the division in the Tory party.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Big split opening up in the Tory Party

Sir John Hayes, who chairs the Common Sense Group of rightwing Tory MP and who works closely with Suella Braverman, told Radio 4’s the World at One that the government should introduce “notwithstanding” legislation to allow the European convention on human rights to be bypassed. It is called “notwithstanding” because it would say the government can do X notwithstanding the ECHR saying it’s illegal.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
As much as I don't think the man lives up to his name often enough, I do appreciate Cleverly today clearly separating himself from the Braverman / Patel hard-right approach to Home Office policy / rhetoric. The proof will be in what happens over the coming months, but it does sound like (for now) there will be a softening of approach with Cleverly.
Aaaaaaannnnddd ... Sunak promptly dashes those hopes. Braverman still able to pull his strings despite being sacked.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here