Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Is it possible to go just one day without some almighty incompetent stupid f*** up :facepalm:

Rishi Sunak warned over ‘mad’ and ‘idiotic’ decision to put Elon Musk at centre of AI Safety Summit​

The Government plans to put “maverick” Elon Musk at the centre of the AI Safety Summit this week, despite warnings from Tory insiders that the “idiotic” move could backfire. Mr Musk, who runs Tesla and SpaceX as well as X, will attend a number of events at the summit on Wednesday and Thursday, followed by a reception for business leaders on Thursday evening and a “conversation” with Rishi Sunak about AI risks which will be live-streamed.

A former official who worked on UK tech policy told i: “If I was still there, I would be telling them they are absolutely mad for doing this – it is idiotic. It is going to be the final nail in the coffin for a number of careers of people in No 10.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/worl...1&cvid=d9faf0f5e72c4ec19b9a7d22149a7758&ei=24

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
and to think all this wisdom of his was the direct benefit of a private education 😉
He's a classicist*.

Which means he understands 'I wandered lonely as a cloud' as a metaphor without knowing what a cloud is made of.

*OK, bit of an exaggeration. Pretentious ****, then.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Tories boast of record NHS funding, but where, exactly is the funding going?

Every year funding goes up, however it does not go up faster than inflation and the increased demand in cutting edge complicated treatment and equipment...so, the government is not strictly telling the truth.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
From the Guardian blog

Stevens says Hancock thought, if NHS overwhelmed, he should decide who would live or die, not doctors​

O’Connor is now asking about discussions about what might need to happen if the NHS was overwhelmed, and care had to be rationed.
Stevens says Matt Hancock thought that, if decisions had to be taken about who would live and who would die, that should be a ministerial matter.
He says Hancock “took the position that in this situation he, rather than the medical profession or the public, should ultimately decide who should live and who should die”.
Stevens says that his view was that this should be a matter for doctors.
He says luckily the NHS never got to a position where anyone did have to take these decisions.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
From the Guardian blog

Stevens says Hancock thought, if NHS overwhelmed, he should decide who would live or die, not doctors​

O’Connor is now asking about discussions about what might need to happen if the NHS was overwhelmed, and care had to be rationed.
Stevens says Matt Hancock thought that, if decisions had to be taken about who would live and who would die, that should be a ministerial matter.
He says Hancock “took the position that in this situation he, rather than the medical profession or the public, should ultimately decide who should live and who should die”.
Stevens says that his view was that this should be a matter for doctors.
He says luckily the NHS never got to a position where anyone did have to take these decisions.

They decided this anyway by shutting off treatments and turning it into a covid service.

Shame on TV companies giving Hancock money to be on shows.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
They decided this anyway by shutting off treatments and turning it into a covid service.

Shame on TV companies giving Hancock money to be on shows.
End of last episode it was apparent that SAS chappies had sussed him. Looking forward to them breaking him into tiny pieces. He obviously thought lipping an interogator was a clever move. We shall see.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Particularly surprising as the 'old people' mostly voted Brexit!
Well, this old person didn’t!
As regards the ‘evidence’ coming out of the Covid Inquiry, it seems mainly to be, he said, she said, he thought, they thought, arse covering, revenge finger pointing and quotes and random ideas, regardless of the context they were taken from, being chucked around like squabbling six year olds telling tales.
Wonderful for interested parties to gossip about and use as ammo against the Tories, but really of little importance, surely. What is more important is what was the thinking behind the decisions that were made , not the thoughts of a rambling buffoon aka Johnson or a narcissistic nutter aka Dom. After all, despite Johnson’s belief that the oldies should ‘cop it’ and let the younger generation get on with life, that did not happen. The whole country was subject to pretty draconian unprecedented rules of lockdown, which were largely obeyed. I’m more interested in hearing whether or not this was the correct approach given the fallout for business, education, health(beside Covid) etc.I’m pretty certain the medics would have had us locked down for ever and a day if they’d had their way, but they didn’t have to make the decisions regarding business, the economy, education etc.
Oh well, I suppose the Inquiry will rumble on and eventually there will be more nitty gritty information that comes out and makes it all worth while.
I dare say we will be hearing that horribly overused expression,’ lessons will be learnt’ about a thousand times from the talking heads!

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
British politicians never seem accountable for anything today.
Dodgy politicians appear to continue to collect money from private sources and never get punished for their misdemeanours.

I have very little trust in our government ministers having any kind of integrity.
Never have I had a lower opinion of any British government.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Well, this old person didn’t!
As regards the ‘evidence’ coming out of the Covid Inquiry, it seems mainly to be, he said, she said, he thought, they thought, arse covering, revenge finger pointing and quotes and random ideas, regardless of the context they were taken from, being chucked around like squabbling six year olds telling tales.
Wonderful for interested parties to gossip about and use as ammo against the Tories, but really of little importance, surely. What is more important is what was the thinking behind the decisions that were made , not the thoughts of a rambling buffoon aka Johnson or a narcissistic nutter aka Dom. After all, despite Johnson’s belief that the oldies should ‘cop it’ and let the younger generation get on with life, that did not happen. The whole country was subject to pretty draconian unprecedented rules of lockdown, which were largely obeyed. I’m more interested in hearing whether or not this was the correct approach given the fallout to business, education, health(beside Covid) etc.I’m pretty certain the medics would have had us locked down for ever and a day if they’d had their way, but they didn’t have to make the decisions regarding business, the economy, education etc.
Oh well, I suppose the Inquiry will rumble on and eventually there will be more nitty gritty information that comes out and makes it all worth while.
I dare say we will be hearing that horribly overused expression,’ lessons will be learnt’ about a thousand times from the talking heads!

I suspect that you've been reading/watching the 'highlights' rather than actually watching this week's evidence (and even a boring bastard like me wouldn't have, had I not tested Positive for COVID on Sunday) :wink:

There has been a lot of detailed evidence from very calm, competent, experienced and professional experts and Civil Servants about exactly what happened, when and what information was available and what decisions were made when. Undoubtedly, 'lessons will be learned' and we will be better prepared for the next Pandemic which everyone knows will be sooner rather than later. For example watch Helen MacNamara's evidence, the one Cummings unsurprisingly was trying to get rid of.

Unfortunately, this was all happening whilst the 'Top Management' were having, by their own words, 'a narcissistic orgy'.

Having worked for piss poor senior management teams (but not that piss poor) I appreciate how hard it can be to achieve even the most obvious simple things. You're not really surprised that the self proclaimed 'narcissistic orgyists' got the headlines, are you ???

Last edited:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
British politicians never seem accountable for anything today.
Dodgy politicians appear to continue to collect money from private sources and never get punished for their misdemeanours.

I have very little trust in our government ministers having any kind of integrity.
Never have I had a lower opinion of any British government.
A little bit harsh to tar all politicians as baddies, but I agree with you re the present bunch.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I suspect that you've been reading/watching the 'highlights' rather than actually watching this week's evidence (and even a boring bastard like me wouldn't have, had I not tested Positive for COVID on Sunday) :wink:

There has been a lot of detailed evidence from very calm, competent, experienced and professional experts and Civil Servants about exactly what happened, when and what information was available and what decisions were made when. Undoubtedly, 'lessons will be learned' and we will be better prepared for the next Pandemic which everyone knows will be sooner rather than later. Watch Helen MacNamara's evidence, the one Cummings unsurprisingly was trying to get rid of.

Unfortunately, this was all happening whilst the 'Top Management' were having, by their own words, 'a narcissistic orgy'.

Having worked for piss poor senior management teams (but not that piss poor) I appreciate how hard it can be to achieve even the most obvious simple things. You're not really surprised that the self proclaimed 'narcissistic orgyists' got the headlines, are you ???
Yes Watford, you are absolutely correct, I have only been watching the highlights and reading things on t’internet, so I am pleased to hear that more serious stuff is being discussed. Without you, I would never have realised, so at least some good has come from you getting Covid!😉😁
I seem to remember Helen M. being involved in some dodgy doings at some stage. Can’t remember quite what, but no doubt you can inform me.
Hope you recover soon from your ailment, but you’re not missing much in the great outdoors. Certainly not the weather for the Jag! I sold my big old XJL and have got a more manageable BMW Tourer. Lovely, very fast, but entirely different car from the Jag. 😁👍

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yes Watford, you are absolutely correct, I have only been watching the highlights and reading things on t’internet, so I am pleased to hear that more serious stuff is being discussed. Without you, I would never have realised, so at least some good has come from you getting Covid!😉😁
I seem to remember Helen M. being involved in some dodgy doings at some stage. Can’t remember quite what, but no doubt you can inform me.
Hope you recover soon from your ailment, but you’re not missing much in the great outdoors. Certainly not the weather for the Jag! I sold my big old XJL and have got a more manageable BMW Tourer. Lovely, very fast, but entirely different car from the Jag. 😁👍

The only other things I know about Helen M are that she was fined for one of the parties and she was moved sideways in order to allow Priti Patel to be found 'not guilty' of bullying. Of course these things may be completely unrelated and any further comment will have to until my memoirs :lolol:

The Jag went away a few weeks ago and won't be out again until the weather is good enough to take the roof down :wink:

Enjoy the Tourer :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here