Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Yes but that means that over 200 Tory MP’s didn’t back maintaining the integrity of Parliament.
Johnson still succeeds in sowing division and derision of democracy in this country
Hopefully many of the 200 will lose their jobs as MP’s and retreat to their country estates to wither away
Johnson may be gone but the damage to Tories and our wider democracy remains, a lot a parallels with the US its deeply worrying.

And remember this is the lot that obsessed about the sovereignty of parliament with their faux war with the EU.

If the Tories get spanked at the next election and many of Red wall loons go do they get a grip or move to the right? I fear the latter.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Johnson may be gone but the damage to Tories and our wider democracy remains, a lot a parallels with the US its deeply worrying.

And remember this is the lot that obsessed about the sovereignty of parliament with their faux war with the EU.

If the Tories get spanked at the next election and many of Red wall loons go do they get a grip or move to the right? I fear the latter.
Exactly my thoughts. The parallels with US Congressmen supporting Trump whatever he does are there. Happily though, in far smaller numbers.

What concerns me even more is the media environment here. Do Mail, Express and Telegraph readers even know that Boris only got 7 votes?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Exactly my thoughts. The parallels with US Congressmen supporting Trump whatever he does are there. Happily though, in far smaller numbers.

What concerns me even more is the media environment here. Do Mail, Express and Telegraph readers even know that Boris only got 7 votes?
Johnson knew his number of supporters was low so he told them to support the report, so Nads, Mogg etc abstained. But some even ignored that, in doing so it makes him look even more marginalised.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020

I think the interesting thing is they will be fighting an election next year. Presumably the Tories will campaign on a Sunak led manifesto which would have similar flavour policies we currently see i.e. stop the boats. The center rights / Cameronites who secretly don't support where the party is going are in an awkward position, coupled with the idea that Johnson is still lurking in the shadows and mooting the prospect of another political party possibly teaming up with Farage which would split the Tory vote, hence why so many abstained rather than stick the knife into Johnson

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I think the interesting thing is they will be fighting an election next year. Presumably the Tories will campaign on a Sunak led manifesto which would have similar flavour policies we currently see i.e. stop the boats. The center rights / Cameronites who secretly don't support where the party is going are in an awkward position, coupled with the idea that Johnson is still lurking in the shadows and mooting the prospect of another political party possibly teaming up with Farage which would split the Tory vote, hence why so many abstained rather than stick the knife into Johnson
Farage / Johnson it would never work but it would be comedy gold, 2 crypto fascists with huge egos in a sack

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Do Mail, Express and Telegraph readers even know that Boris only got 7 votes?
Yes, but only because Johnson asked people not to.
He could have won the vote if he'd wanted to, you see!
For the good of the party (and the NATION) he has decided to accept the gross injustice and allow everyone to move on... Because he's the good guy, right?

Some would say it's nigh-on saintly to be so wronged yet still be the bigger man. After all he's done for the country too - he nearly died from covid, yet single-handed delivered a vaccine rollout in double quick time, got Brexit done and built 40 new hospitals!!
Hero status just for getting Brexit done really - that vaccine wouldn't even have been possible if we had still been in the EU. We wouldn't be enjoying the sunny uplands of mega trade-deals and cavorting gaily in a sovereign world free of that wretched Brussels red-tape that was holding us back if we hadn't dumped the EU.
Just think how sh|t the NHS would be if we weren't spending that £350m a week on it?
And I've got a blue passport.

And to think some people think he deserves this woke, Marxist-led undemocratic witch-hunt and kangaroo court, just because he ate some birthday cake somebody surprised him with at a work meeting (I mean, he'd have looked rude saying no to a nice bit of lemon drizzle someone had made him).

#ImBackingBoris

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Will Sunak be leader next year, or is Penny Mordaunt plotting a leadership bid?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Will Sunak be leader next year, or is Penny Mordaunt plotting a leadership bid?
I see it that the tory leadership is settled now until th election. Even they can't appoint another one. The only caveat here is that if any new party revelations surface about Rishi, he's done as well.

Penny will take the reins as the leader of the opposition after the election.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Johnson isn't a fascist though, he an opportunist going where the votes are ( whilst shouting 'follow me chaps')
Agree more of a crypto fascist, Farage I have my doubts

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Bring it on. If you're not Ready for Rishi, why not have Liz for Leadership or Back Boris?
As to Johnson, it appears the fairy dust trick on the public no longer works: check out their recent downturn in the polls, which has coincided with the Johnson stench getting wiffier. Ready for Rishi will have a year of sniping, but that'll pale into significance as each month 100,000+ have to find a new mortgage deal. Yet you can still get 9/2 on a Con minority, and 15/2 on a Con majority for the next GE. I will not be punting.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Is that the same Liz Truss whose policies helped cause the crisis in the first place, or a different one of whom I am hitherto unaware?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
When it gets to the stage a governing Tory Party is content for a recession to happen you know something is fundamentally wrong.

They are arguably more played out than Labour were under Michael Foot, they need to go back to the drawing board and create a New Conservatism.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here