Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
They can. WhatsApp has been compromised for years. That those messages can then be admissible into an inquiry is doubtful. Due to the way they would be de-encrypted. ie illegally.

Ultimately it is all ends up in the same spot; we know they’re up to their flabby necks in it and we are not allowed to prove it.

The Tory’s have been thriving on variations of that story for decades.
I would love to see Baroness Hallet actually insist on prosecutions for withholding evidence. Those who have worked in the judiciary say she is capable of it, like Lady Hale before her. 🕷️

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I would love to see Baroness Hallet actually insist on prosecutions for withholding evidence. Those who have worked in the judiciary say she is capable of it, like Lady Hale before her. 🕷️
Agreed.
Something has got to bring this government crashing down.

Although I suspect they’ll all slink off to a comfortable retirement and no significant repercussions.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
My guess is they would much rather be prosecuted for withholding evidence than have whatever is in those messages made public.

They can keep denying they did anything wrong and claim miscarriage of justice as long as those messages stay hidden.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I wonder how many people have destroyed their phones? There again, the phone companies still have the data.
" End to end " encryption TB according to WhatsApp. That's its major selling point but, if someone, somewhere could hack it....

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
My guess is they would much rather be prosecuted for withholding evidence than have whatever is in those messages made public.

They can keep denying they did anything wrong and claim miscarriage of justice as long as those messages stay hidden.
Just when you think that a government could not slip any lower, they find a way to do so. Incredible that the people that are supposedly benevolently running the country for the good of its people are running it for their shady friends, financial backers and themselves. The complete evidence needs to be laid before the enquiry or the King should dissolve Parliament.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
" End to end " encryption TB according to WhatsApp. That's its major selling point but, if someone, somewhere could hack it....
It would be lovely to see those messages serialised in a newspaper over a few months and perhaps some more when election time comes around.

Mr. Cummings? Are you free?!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Just when you think that a government could not slip any lower, they find a way to do so. Incredible that the people that are supposedly benevolently running the country for the good of its people are running it for their shady friends, financial backers and themselves. The complete evidence needs to be laid before the enquiry or the King should dissolve Parliament.
I imagine the thinking is keep those messages hidden whatever the cost.

Okay so they go to court, they might win. If not, they are no worse off and the public has footed the defence bill so, who cares! Win/win.

Either way, the messages stay hidden.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What I would like to know is why Government policy is being written on WhatsApp? Surely those discussions on WhatsApp would have resulted in policy directions that would have been documented in the standard governmental way, whatever that is? If they were not, then why not? Are WhatsApp messages now being treated like minutes of meetings?
seems highly unlikely policy or any official decision are decided in Whatsapp, as you say it'll be the disucssions around them. bit like phone calls and chats in the corridor, but committed to text so available. pity the poor sods that will have to trawl through inane ramblings of politicans, low signal to noise and many contradictions with minuted meetings.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I bet O2 Westminster have hit their phone sales target this week.
Could also envisage a busy week for drainage engineers recovering phones that have slipped out of pockets and down toilets.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The thread from George Grylls contains questions submitted to Johnson as part of the inquiry. This one stands out.

He'll just brush all those off with bluster, or weaselly words such as 'doing the best we could with the evidence we had' and so on.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
seems highly unlikely policy or any official decision are decided in Whatsapp, as you say it'll be the disucssions around them. bit like phone calls and chats in the corridor, but committed to text so available. pity the poor sods that will have to trawl through inane ramblings of politicans, low signal to noise and many contradictions with minuted meetings.
Of course they used WhatsApp. How else could they shaft the country? Need to keep the shafting private. What the official channels don’t know can’t be used against Boris and rest of the fuckwits.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

The problem is that only works if you stay in power. As soon as you are gone then the new government will simply order a new investigation with a much wider remit. This won’t go away. I think I may well invest in popcorn suppliers….

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
When we were in the middle of the COVID pandemic, the Government said now is not the time to investigate, we need to concentrate on the Pandemic. If you wanted to question the Government's response to COVID, we even had a special area on NSC for you to post.

So the Government sets up an independent enquiry to investigate claims of wrongdoing throughout the COVID pandemic after it has ended.

The Independent enquiry requests evidence in order to fully investigate the claims of wrongdoing.

The Government takes their own independent enquiry to court to stop them getting the evidence needed to investigate the claims.

A lot of people are, and have always been very justifiably, extremely angry about what has happened, and I really am very sorry, but I think this country is getting exactly what the majority wanted and, as a result, deserves :shrug:
I don't think the majority of the electorate voted for this terrible Government - so NOT really what they wanted ( or deserve ) ?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
The problem is that only works if you stay in power. As soon as you are gone then the new government will simply order a new investigation with a much wider remit. This won’t go away. I think I may well invest in popcorn suppliers….
I don't think any investigation could have a wider remit. They are able to demand anything and everyone from anybody, as far as I can see. If they can demand copies of all private messages from the PM, they can demand anything.

The main purpose of this enquiry ought to be to focus on what went wrong, and how to do it right next time. What actually is the purpose of this request for all government and private messages sent by and received by Johnson? I've seen it said that it is because they want to nail him for not strictly following the rules on 17 separate occasions, but also because they think he might have been a bit distracted by other issues and wasn't concentrating hard enough on covid. Neither seems really relevant as to whether the correct decisions were made.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I don't think any investigation could have a wider remit. They are able to demand anything and everyone from anybody, as far as I can see. If they can demand copies of all private messages from the PM, they can demand anything.

The main purpose of this enquiry ought to be to focus on what went wrong, and how to do it right next time. What actually is the purpose of this request for all government and private messages sent by and received by Johnson? I've seen it said that it is because they want to nail him for not strictly following the rules on 17 separate occasions, but also because they think he might have been a bit distracted by other issues and wasn't concentrating hard enough on covid. Neither seems really relevant as to whether the correct decisions were made.
The government broke the laws they made.

We need to determine to what extent so we can learn from it and make sure any future government, during any future pandemic doesn’t make the same deliberate mistakes that these law breaking, lying, corrupt, unempathetic, unsympathetic, selfish, self obsessed, cruel, one rule for them and another for us, steeped in sleaze, f***ing arseholes did.

That’s my take on it anyway.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

This isn’t the party enquiry. That’s already been done and we’re still waiting for the results.

This is a separate enquiry about ignoring Operation Cygnus in 2016, about allowing old people in hospital to go into care homes, untested, looking into the PPE fast lane, where established PPE suppliers were ignore, but Hancock’s mate down the pub were given millions of pounds for useless PPE, which is still costing the taxpayer millions to store it, and dispose of.
Why were Dido Harding and Michelle Mone given billions?

Over 200,000 people died, and we need to know whether the government handled it well or were merely distracted!

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

you don't really believe that, surely?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here