Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Did we miss the government saying they weren't building 40 new hospitals.
Of the 40 new hospitals promised some would be renovations, but it was all a moot point anyway as they wouldn't be ready by 2030.

But crucially they haven't broken an election promise.
Johnson's legacy.....

40 new hospitals - bollox
20,000 more police - bollox
Fix social care - bollox
Get Brexit done - bollox

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The best the Tories can hope for is a Labour majority. If there is a Lib / Lab coalition, I'd imagine the Lib Dems will push for a change in the voting system without a referendum. That could see the Tories out for years.

Undemocratic ?

Possibly but the Government change the way we vote for Mayors two years ago without public consultation. Next London Mayoral election is now FPTP.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Tories asset stripping the country.

the trouble with twitter is too many unreliable witnesses, they'll tell you something without all the information. this tweet has for some reason ignored investment in water. that would be over £160bn according to the industry, and its a bit naughty to ignore that. you can argue there has been too much dividends, you can argue dividends shouldnt be paid from debt (110% agree to both, though the numbers are manipulated). arguing all the debt has gone to dividends is false, arguing there has been no investment is also false. its actually how they grow the businesses, by spending more their assets increase and therefore business value increase. its also amusing how the term "gaslighting" keeps getting thrown around so lightly.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
the trouble with twitter is too many unreliable witnesses, they'll tell you something without all the information. this tweet has for some reason ignored investment in water. that would be over £160bn according to the industry, and its a bit naughty to ignore that. you can argue there has been too much dividends, you can argue dividends shouldnt be paid from debt (110% agree to both, though the numbers are manipulated). arguing all the debt has gone to dividends is false, arguing there has been no investment is also false. its actually how they grow the businesses, by spending more their assets increase and therefore business value increase. its also amusing how the term "gaslighting" keeps getting thrown around so lightly.
The clip is of Baroness Jenny Jones in the House of Lords.

Show me the investment in water, and why we have beaches and rivers full of sewage. Criticise Twitter all you want but come back with facts.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The clip is of Baroness Jenny Jones in the House of Lords.

Show me the investment in water, and why we have beaches and rivers full of sewage. Criticise Twitter all you want but come back with facts.
you just ignored the industry feedback so lightly. you can find the investment in reports and stats if you look honestly. didn't Southern build a whole load of new facilities under the city couple decades back, and more recently at Telscombe? there's more to water than sewage, there is supply side and seems a lot of priority went there.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
you just ignored the industry feedback so lightly. you can find the investment in reports and stats if you look honestly. didn't Southern build a whole load of new facilities under the city couple decades back, and more recently at Telscombe? there's more to water than sewage, there is supply side and seems a lot of priority went there.
Yes, the Telly Tubby mound at Peacehaven which hasn't stopped raw sewage going into the sea at Peacehaven to Seaford.

The fact remains, that water is vital for life, should never have been privatised nor used for bonuses, dividends nor profit. Ever.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
They are two different companies. Southern Water is concerned with waste water and South East Water with provision of drinking water. You can’t compare the two as ther are completely different organisation. TBF both are as crap as each other. Ardingly reservoir is shut for 8 weeks so that urgent repairs to the bank can be carried. Repairs that were required in 2019 but were ignored but will now cost significantly more to fix if they had done it in 2019. Of course we know how that will be funded!

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I worked in the water industry for nearly 4 years (albeit at a "Water Only" company, not a "Water & Sewage Company"). It is an exceptionally highly regulated industry (as it should be). Every 5 years water companies have to get their pricing and investment plans approved by the regulator (Ofwat...effectively the government). The regulator gives each water company an allowable return (ie, sets the prices they can charge), and tells them how much they can invest. I'm paraphrasing a massively complex process here, obviously. But for the last 5 year period (2020 - 2025) the regulator (aka the Government) was paranoid about increasing water bills, and forced water companies to significantly scale back their investment plans. Whilst I think water companies should be doing a huge amount more to reduce sewage overflows, the government is massively to blame too. It's a scandal. And the other scandal is the amount that senior management in water companies are paid. The water industry is surprisingly complex, but water companies are monopolies. There is virtually zero risk to revenue. Nice work if you can get it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I worked in the water industry for nearly 4 years (albeit at a "Water Only" company, not a "Water & Sewage Company"). It is an exceptionally highly regulated industry (as it should be). Every 5 years water companies have to get their pricing and investment plans approved by the regulator (Ofwat...effectively the government). The regulator gives each water company an allowable return (ie, sets the prices they can charge), and tells them how much they can invest. I'm paraphrasing a massively complex process here, obviously. But for the last 5 year period (2020 - 2025) the regulator (aka the Government) was paranoid about increasing water bills, and forced water companies to significantly scale back their investment plans. Whilst I think water companies should be doing a huge amount more to reduce sewage overflows, the government is massively to blame too. It's a scandal. And the other scandal is the amount that senior management in water companies are paid. The water industry is surprisingly complex, but water companies are monopolies. There is virtually zero risk to revenue. Nice work if you can get it.
Exactly. The government is massively to blame for this mess. You are right about monopolies, as none of us can change our water supplier.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Looks like the slippery arseholes have wriggled free again.

What is it about our lawmakers and arbiters that they repeatedly let the Tory’s off the hook?

I honestly despair.

Not quite. Verified by oath is a strong command.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Not quite. Verified by oath is a strong command.

It will mean nothing to Boris Johnson and his cronies.

They won’t hand over anything. This inquiry is dead in the water unless they start prosecuting for failing to comply. Which they won’t .

It’s over. I guarantee it .

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
They are two different companies. Southern Water is concerned with waste water and South East Water with provision of drinking water. You can’t compare the two as ther are completely different organisation. TBF both are as crap as each other. Ardingly reservoir is shut for 8 weeks so that urgent repairs to the bank can be carried. Repairs that were required in 2019 but were ignored but will now cost significantly more to fix if they had done it in 2019. Of course we know how that will be funded!
I only get billed by Southern Water ? All though water companies were allegedly privatised in order to generate " competition " I'm unable to purchase mains water from another company ?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

They won’t hand over anything. This inquiry is dead in the water unless they start prosecuting for failing to comply. Which they won’t .

We know roughly what's in them thanks to Oakeshott, who got pelters at the time, but the inquiry was always going to be a flop.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I wonder how many people have destroyed their phones? There again, the phone companies still have the data.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Do you absolutely promise you don’t have the WhatsApp’s anymore?

Yes, pinky promise.

Well, okay. But be more careful next time. Off you go. Naughty boys!

That’s about the f***ing size of it, isn’t it.

Makes my blood boil.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

The cheek of the man.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here