Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't agree with Gullis's comments. Bishops should preach about politics, especially those who are part of the Lords Temporal. All I'm saying is that Gullis should be criticised for what he said; he should not have comments invented (or in this case, edited) as a way of encouraging people to laugh at him for something he did not say.
Bishops are Lords Spiritual, life peers and hereditary peers are Lords Temporal.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Retirement and early retirement are now to blame for inflation as bosses have to pay higher wages to get workers. The workforce has dropped dramatically, which, of course, is nothing to do with stopping immigration.
No, get back to work you oldies, and work until you drop.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Bishops have been heavily involved in politics ever since Christianity arrived in these isles, so asking them to stop now is a waste of your breath.
As for Gullis, a strange and not particularly pleasant individual who I suspect will be gone at the next election.
The House of Lords is an unelected body so i’m not sure what he’s getting at. Maybe he should focus on the behaviour of the 60 odd MP’s who have been very naughty boys/girls or ask why we have a Russian in the House of Lord.
i would argue the Tory MP’s are way out of touch with the general populace which why they will be exiting stage left at the next election.
For the record I’m an atheist.
I’d like him to concentrate on this sort of thing:

Attachments

• 62DACFC4-A9C2-48AC-B656-877C3E1224B2.jpeg
    62DACFC4-A9C2-48AC-B656-877C3E1224B2.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 55

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
He looks like a caricature of a shires Tory knobhead

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Don't be fatuous. His quote was only three sentences long and even if you've never read anything longer than a twitter thread you know that he's talking about preaching politics. You can get any politician to say anything if you take it completely out of context.

Gullis replied: “I don’t think unelected bishops in the House of Lords should be preaching about politics. I think they should be looking in-house at the wide abuse claims, and the Archbishop of Canterbury should be spending his time focusing on the Church’s reputation. I sadly think that there are too many people using the pulpit to preach from, and actually I think they’re out of touch with the overall majority of this great country.”
I bet Gullis would have no problem with Bishops 'preaching from the pulpit' if they were praising Brexit, accusing the unemployed of being lazy, or condemning striking rail workers, eh?

The usual Tory hypocrisy; free-speech if we agree with what you are saying and its supports us, but otherwise, we'll impose our own cancel culture on you.

If the Lord Jesus Christ was with us today, the Tories and the Daily Mail would be denouncing him as a Commie or a Woke liberal do-gooder who ought to be deported.

Last edited:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
First they came for our contact sports - and I did not speak out as I am too old and broken
Then they came for our outdoor running - and I did not speak out as I am too old and broken.

I am a bit worried my mouse is a bit sharp around the edges - can I play games?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Seems Sunak and co. are hardening their line against the nurses trying to replay Thatcher 1980's greatest hits, ie the miners strike.

Won't be long before the right wing press try and turn us all against them. Will it wash?

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Seems Sunak and co. are hardening their line against the nurses trying to replay Thatcher 1980's greatest hits, ie the miners strike.

Won't be long before the right wing press try and turn us all against them. Will it wash?
Won't be long before the first lurid, sensationalist, headlines: "My dear old mum died because there were no nurses to change her bed-pan" or "Cruel nurses laugh on picket lines while hard-working taxpaying patients die in agony in hospital corridors."

My wife's a nurse, so she and her colleagues are awaiting the hysterical Tory-tabloid headlines and attempts to whip-up hatred.

Wokeworrier

Aug 7, 2021
West sussex/travelling
But I still don't know whether the government specifically told the civil service that they must not get PPE from existing suppliers even if it was available - in which case they're obviously culpable. Or whether they personally took over the system of ordering and refused to let any civil servants have a go at it - in which case they're obviously culpable. Or whether they created a brand new system in which they deliberately excluded anyone with any knowledge of the system and ensured none of them were able to ask - in which case they're obviously culpable. Or whether the civil service was to some extent at fault.

I don't believe in this scenario whereby the minister was solely responsible for procurement and none of the 6,500 NHS England staff, and none of the 3,000 Department of Health staff, had any access to any of the ordering system. There must have been incompetence by some of them as well as by the minister.

If, as you all suggest, the minister said that he would do it all himself and his staff could take the time off, then there must be memos about it. But until I see more than rumours on a stridently anti-Tory message board, I won't believe that Hancock and only Hancock was able to order PPE.

I admire your indefatigability and endless patience, never lowering yourself to return the insults/snide comments but I do wonder why you bother posting about political issues on the wokiest of wokey football message boards.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I admire your indefatigability and endless patience, never lowering yourself to return the insults/snide comments but I do wonder why you bother posting about political issues on the wokiest of wokey football message boards.
cos he's keen to learn,

just the two of you left now, and he's keen to learn!

tick tock!

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
cos he's keen to learn,

just the two of you left now, and he's keen to learn!

tick tock!
I’m sure he’d see it as educating rather than learning. This is because people see things differently sometimes

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here