Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Getting either of these is like a choice between contracting typhoid and cholera.

Some of the policies aimed at Tory members are borderline fascistic

Talking of which, following their earlier musings on NSC regarding the candidates, have [MENTION=36]Titanic[/MENTION] and [MENTION=12697]Steve Foster[/MENTION] decided which way their votes are going yet ?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If I were a voting Tory member I'd spoil my ballot and scrawl 'Martin Lewis for PM' on it.

He'd make a far better PM than either of the 2 self-serving catastrophies who are arguing about who'll be taking over in September.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If I were a voting Tory member I'd spoil my ballot and scrawl 'Martin Lewis for PM' on it.

He'd make a far better PM than either of the 2 self-serving catastrophies who are arguing about who'll be taking over in September.

He's far too normal and boring to ever be Tory leader. Far too sensible too.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
[tweet]1557078216249987073[/tweet]

Is this shit for brains really one of the best we’ve got ?

This made me chuckle on FB this morning.

93E55B74-4564-49FC-A45C-839C68757C12.jpeg

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Can you believe these idiots for a 30 minute prime time slot again on BBC1 tonight again?

Is there any point of this at all?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Can you believe these idiots for a 30 minute prime time slot again on BBC1 tonight again?

FFS.

We have to suffer the dynamic duo again ?

Just get on with it.

Stop dithering and delaying.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
FFS.

We have to suffer the dynamic duo again ?

Just get on with it.

Stop dithering and delaying.

Absolutely. How bloody old are these Tory party members? Are they all borderline senile? We are in the middle of a bloody crisis with a zombie government whilst these bungle***** dither for weeks over picking one horse in a two horse race. Selfish ********. But then they are Tories.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Absolutely. How bloody old are these Tory party members? Are they all borderline senile? We are in the middle of a bloody crisis with a zombie government whilst these bungle***** dither for weeks over picking one horse in a two horse race. Selfish ********. But then they are Tories.

Sunak has been the biggest let down, its obvious from the he can't win, instead he has degraded himself pandering to odd ball members.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePwRtGxYG28

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

Don't panic, I think its only #Ready4Rishi for on, Truss wont be there, so even less than no point this being on TV.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Not really about dumb and dumber, but can anyone explain to me why, with all the talk of tax cuts has nobody talked about cutting VAT. 20% now, it has been as low(!) as 8%, a tax that affects every single one of us, but it affects those on lower incomes the most.
The last stat I could find, and I admit I haven’t spent much time on it, is it earned the Exchequer 157 billion, but that was pre-Covid/ Brexit.
Shirley, if it was reduced to 5% and the Vat on energy completely done away with, it would help those who are going to be in dire straits in the winter far more than cutting corporation tax, or even income tax.
The political will was there to cut Bankers allowances to allow them an extra 7 billion plus, why not help out ordinary voters.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Not really about dumb and dumber, but can anyone explain to me why, with all the talk of tax cuts has nobody talked about cutting VAT. 20% now, it has been as low(!) as 8%, a tax that affects every single one of us, but it affects those on lower incomes the most.
The last stat I could find, and I admit I haven’t spent much time on it, is it earned the Exchequer 157 billion, but that was pre-Covid/ Brexit.
Shirley, if it was reduced to 5% and the Vat on energy completely done away with, it would help those who are going to be in dire straits in the winter far more than cutting corporation tax, or even income tax.
The political will was there to cut Bankers allowances to allow them an extra 7 billion plus, why not help out ordinary voters.

It was at 5% when Thatcher came in.
The benefit of a VAT cut is that it's also deflationary

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

To add: it's also progressive: it cuts the burden of taxation on the lowest paid. This factor, alongside its inverse (ie increases in VAT), might just be why:
-- Thatcher shifted the burden of taxation from income taxes to VAT
-- Truss wants to cut NI rather than VAT

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
To add: it's also progressive: it cuts the burden of taxation on the lowest paid. This factor, alongside its inverse (ie increases in VAT), might just be why:

I may have misunderstood here but are you saying VAT is progressive?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

This.

I hope labour do their GE TV ads by showing clips of these two oafs promising nonsense to the gamembershipmon, without comment. Just a Vote Labour floaty at the end.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I may have misunderstood here but are you saying VAT is progressive?

I’m presuming he’s saying that cutting VAT would be progressive - not that VAT is progressive, which it isn’t.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Will they still fall for this rubbish when they have been shivering and starving in their red-wall houses for 2 years...that's if they have not been repossessed of course.

Yes. Because Brexit has been messed up by labour and the forinners, blocking the will of the people.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Sunak is an elite profiteer with his eye on his bank account at all times. He is out of touch and a liar.

Truss is all of the above with the addition of being mentally defective and about as crackers as posh middle aged women come.

Out of the two I'd take Sunak any day. Even though he's a prick.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
A 15% cut in VAT would knock 25-30p off a litre of vehicle fuel.

Get it done.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’m presuming he’s saying that cutting VAT would be progressive - not that VAT is progressive, which it isn’t.

But cutting VAT and increasing it is the same thing in terms of progressiveness.

If cutting VAT is progressive, it means that the poor pay less in VAT because they buy less, while the rich pay more in VAT because they buy more.

The reason for my question is that I agree, this is progressive. But (I think) [MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION] mocks me because I claim a flat rate (%) income tax is progressive.

If a rich man buys a pound of spuds and pays 20p in VAT, nobody would think it fair for a poor man to be charged only 10 p in VAT for the same spuds.

And yet some people think that if someone sells 100Kg of spuds it is fair if they pay £10 in tax, whilst someone selling 1000Kg of spuds should pay £200 in tax. Progressive, like. And at some point a very rich man selling a million Kg of spuds should pay all his income from the sale in tax. Progressive, like.

:facepalm: :shootself:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here